Skip to main content

Write What You Know

Writing advice is like underwear--certain styles work for certain people, but it's really there for support.

Man. I feel like that should be a meme, like with flowers or something. Y'know, an inspirational Instagram photo. Hold on a sec.

Yeah, that's more like it. Source.

Just like you probably shouldn't try on every type of underwear simultaneously, not all writing advice is useful at the same time. And some doesn't work at all for the individual.

One piece of writing advice that always requires a little bit of tailoring would be the "Write what you know" advice. Taken too literally, it makes it seem as though the only thing people should write is a journal--after all, what one knows is what one has done. I think there's some value to that. Some people lead interesting lives. I'm not one of those people, so I prefer my fictional stories to be a little bit more than recitation of my minutia.

One thing that I believe about writing fiction is that the stories are wrapped up in the characters who are a part of it, and that character fits better in one skin over another. For example, I'm working on a "horror" novel (I don't read a lot of the genre, but that's never stopped me from going in and trying to figure it out) in which one of the characters I was writing ended up a redhead on the page. The thing is, she isn't a redhead. Just...nope. I can't seem to get my imagination to fit in with her being one, so she's now a blonde--what she was supposed to be early on in the creative experience, but I ignored.

That's a superficial example, but it applies to other characters, too. I once thought of a character in a new story I was writing, but there was something wrong with him. Then I realized that it was because he was supposed to be a she. Not only that, but she needed to be a woman of color. Why? Well, it ended up being a way for me to empathize with a minority. That choice led to different narrative decisions that would have to be made with a Black woman as the protagonist, decisions that are informed by her past, gender, and race.

I don't think I write one gender better than any others, but I do know that I've trained myself to consider a minority and female as the new default. My feminism dictates this, but I find it refreshing. So much of the media that I consume is already white cis-het, so this behavior helps me to broaden my horizons, as it were. Additionally, I find that there's a beautiful texture and nuance that having someone from a different philosophy or life experience on the page makes my stories richer.

What about the axiom, though? Well, I can't confess to having experienced the difficulties--or joys--of being a person of color, to say nothing of being a Black woman, but I can, fortunately, read. That means I can see what WoC have to say about their experience and I can attempt to understand it through the stories I choose to write.

Does this mean that I'm talking from PoC and WoC voices, using my white privilege to capitalize on a fad of diversity? First of all, that's a very pointed question with a lot of assumptions, but the basic answer to this is no, of course not, and yes, of course I am. I don't think diversity is a "fad" or anything but a deliberate choice to expand the exposure of other human beings. Incorporating other ideas, lifestyles, and histories generates a fabric and richness of human experience, and the concept of acknowledging other people--even of different races, backgrounds, and orientations--as somehow being a fad is insulting.

So, no I'm not capitalizing on a fad because it isn't one. And, setting aside that, as an unpublished author, I'm not capitalizing on anything, I think that I absolutely am in a privileged position. I'm not writing about the Black experience; I'm writing about my White experience thinking about the Black experience. This is probably why I put so much effort into fantasy and science fiction in which the characters don't look like me: There, everyone's experience is filtered in a different way than our own experiences here.

But, yes, there's definitely a danger of coming across as trying to be multicultural or progressive and, by virtue of the fact that I as a white, cis-het male have a systemic bonus for anything I try to do, I am, in a very real way, encroaching on space that works better for the voices out there that are speaking about experiences that I can't even imagine.

I've thought about this a lot, actually, because there's a worry there. At this point, it's academic: I'm not published and, so far as I can see, there aren't any really significant chances of that changing anytime soon.

But I rely on this simple fact: No matter who it is, there is no one on the planet who knows my characters the way I do. No one. They can't, because they've spent way more time in my head than in anyone else's. So when I write about them, I'm following that advice: I'm writing what I know.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow