Skip to main content

Writing Log 10-21-11

Some work done today. I'm at UVU (thankfully), and it turned out to be a good thing. Yesterday, I went on about how saving stuff helps me later on, sometimes. Well, this time, it was my writers' group that helped. One of the readers is behind the forereaders of my book. Because of this, I'm able to look a little further back than what I normally get to do. This time, it was super fortuitous: All of the stuff I talked about yesterday (with reusing previously crafted stuff) I had already done about thirty chapters before. Not all of it was used in the earlier chapter, so I was able to salvage the work of yesterday and tighten it up a little bit, but it was a good lesson in showing why I can't rely on my memory from stuff that I wrote back in February for what I'm working on now.

Today, I wanted to talk a little bit about what I do when it comes to writer's block. The opening line of Henry V is very much my prayer (though not often literal): "O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend/The brightest heaven of invention..." I'm always worried that, if I don't plan the scene out in my head, anticipate the writing session, and, in many ways, envision the words I'm going to use, I'm not going to write well. I always hope for my Muse of fire to ignite my words and passion for the story I'm telling...and that is not always the case.

I have proof of that in today's writing session. It just did not go well. I ended up fiddling around with grades and emails, watching a little show and tidying up the work from yesterday. It was super lame, and I was this close to just walking away. But, because I was at the library, I had a great incentive to use the time well. It's kind of far from home, and I don't like the idea of wasting gas or time or travel.

So I took a walk. I went from aisle to aisle, staring at the sundry titles available. I didn't stray far, but what I did do was allow my mind to kind of expand away from the two or three failed attempts that I had already suffered through. This simple 5 minute break (and a handful of Skittles) helped me to conceive of a brand new interlude that I had not considered before. Now two characters that I introduced easily thirty chapters or so ago are dead, and the tension that that brings with it is really helpful.

Writers' block is only in your mind. I'm not always able to overcome it--I still rely on the Muse of fire to help me out--but sometimes being in the right place can really help. Now I think I'll reward my hard work (just over 1,600 words today...not what I had hoped, but it's on track for my goal) by playing video games or something.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both