Skip to main content

Writing Log 2-25-12

WOOHOO! I did it! By 5:15, I had knocked out a couple hundred more words than I needed to actually hit my goal. I officially have 250,288 words in Writ in Blood.

Awesome.


Today, when I sat down, I had just under 5,000 words to crank out. Knowing how close I was to getting my goal, I admit that I checked my word count more often than I usually do. It's kind of like waiting for midnight on New Year's Eve--there's very little that's immediately different on one side of the even than the other, but part of the fun is the anticipation. So I knocked down one chapter (more on that later) and, feeling upset at what I'd just done, I decided to create a flashback for Nic in the prior chapter. That came out fairly easily--which worries me, as I don't trust myself when things go too right for too long--and, by and by, I finished my goal. Just like that.

With 250,000 words (oh, for a dollar per word, I tell ya) in the rear view mirror, where do I go from here? Well, I've decided that I'm not going to post any more word count goals. This isn't because I'm afraid I won't get them done--in fact, I'm almost two months early on this goal--but it's because I don't know how much longer the book needs to be. I can feel that the ending is coming together--especially with a couple of serendipitous pieces I put in today--and that it's going to end pretty soon. But how that translates into word count I'm not sure. As a result, I have an 'unofficial goal' of 300,000 words by the end of the school year (which is the last week of May), or the book finished, whichever comes first. (For a bit of perspective, if I wrote as well for the next ten writing sessions, I'd be at over 300k.) I do have another goal, but I'm not as keen on sticking to it, because I'm the kind of person who'd force the book to have more words just to get the goal right. So I'm leaving it open. What I need to do is make sure that I have goals (probably number of chapters) for revisions...I'll have to stew on that for a bit.

Anyway, I wanted to document a bit about Chapter 68 (first draft) that took me by surprise. I have put my characters in a position where they can learn a lot--so there's a worry of too much talking and exposition. Before I sat down to write today, I decided to shift the point of view to Saldrae, despite the fact that her emotional investment in this part of the story is lessened. That's probably not going to stay that way, but for now that's how it is. In order to balance the pacing, though, it was time for her to get some more spotlight. So, despite the fact that it didn't come naturally, I went ahead and wrote for Saldrae today.

Good move.

I stumbled upon some world building that I hadn't considered before (hooray for muses!) and it gave a bit of emotional distance to the chapter that wouldn't have been there if we were in Nic's or Cal's minds. The problem that I have, though--and this is something that I'm going to have to consider very carefully--is that, by the end of the chapter, I have a character with a knife in the belly.

Now, I usually don't have qualms killing off a character in my stories (I may have mentioned this earlier, I can't remember). I know that my writing group has tuned into this, often expressing dismay--but never surprise--that someone in my books dies. No one is guaranteed a happy ending. But in this case, I don't know if I need this character to survive. More than that, I really don't want the character to die. There's so much that could happen if I figure out a conceivable way for the person to survive.

The weird thing is, I know that I have to leave the knife there. I set it up in the previous chapter, I gave a tiny reminder early in this one, and then I followed through at the end. Originally, when I first realized what was going to happen, I thought, "Oh, this'll be good!" But then, as I got closer and closer to the potential death, I began to feel...almost physically ill. I didn't want the person to die.

Once I finished that chapter, I sat with my fingers intertwined and my chin resting on my thumbs, staring through my computer screen. I didn't know if I should go back in and change something--add a sentence giving an answer to the question and letting the next chapter answer it--or leave it as I wrote it, relying on my mind and instinct to work with it as I go forward. In the end, I opted for the latter, deciding to not write the character off for dead...yet.

It's strange to become so involved with fiction. These people don't exist, yet I was getting pretty glum thinking about leaving the knife in the guts. I'm still uncomfortable with what I've done, which is, on a certain level, kind of fun. I write these stories because no one else has--I have to get them out of my head, or else I quite literally have mental breakdowns. But I also write them in order to find out what happens next to the characters. I'm stuck at a Lost-like cliffhanger, and though I can figure out what I want to have happen, until my next writing session, I won't know what happens. I'm completely in the dark, at this point, about that character's fate. And that's kinda cool.

So is meeting your goal. Woo!

Comments

Holly said…
Congrats! I'm so curious about who you may or may not be killing off. I will try not to cry, this time. ;) You've broken my heart too often before.
Steve Dowdle said…
I'll try not to let your feelings change the story.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow