Skip to main content

Writing Log 3-3-12

I wrote unexpectedly efficiently today. Due to scheduling issues, I got started later than is normal by nearly an hour. Yet here it is, 5 o'clock, and I'm writing my blog after updating my TimeGlider and mulling over the pacing of the story. I was expecting to be hammering away for another hour, yet I'm getting the distinct feeling that I should stop....and that I should keep going. It's kind of rough, to be honest. I don't know if I really want to go on, mostly because I postponed the consequences of what I wrote about last time (a character getting stabbed) by shifting to a different character for this chapter. But I can't keep the reader in too much suspense--if I don't shift back and deal with the stabbing, then it's going to feel like I'm just toying with the readers, and that's lame. I don't want that to happen.

Of course, I could go and write a flashback...but I'm not certain that I want to do that right now, since the scene that's cooking in my head is in a different place entirely. It's hard to write in less ambiguous terms than what I've said here, so, rather than spinning my wheels, I'll just move on to something else that I wanted to discuss.

I'm  taking a class on World War I right now from one of my favorite professors of history. The class is what gets me out of the house each Saturday, which is a good thing, since it gives me a secondary reason for coming down to UVU besides the urge to write. The thing is, the topics I learn about are extremely depressing (like, majorly depressing), and I get a little out of sorts. The scenes that I'm writing about are serious--I've yet to be able to write anything even approaching comedy in my stories--but they're of a different type of seriousness. So I'm having a hard time channeling that emotion that I get from studying history into my writing. One thing's for certain, however: I'm not writing Calistar correctly.

Calistar is a warrior. He grew up wanting to be in the Jajiini militia (their armed forces) and following in his older brother's footsteps by fighting for his god and his country. But along the way, something in him changed and eventually he became a pacifist--personally, not one that cared if others felt the same way. He just wanted to stop hurting others, despite the fact that he could do it so well.

My problem with Calistar is that he isn't a soldier who has all of the right characteristics. One of the things I've mentioned before is that Calistar's precursor was Victor from Tales from the Flame. Victor and Calistar share the ability to be fighters who want to give it up, though in Victor's case it's a little bit different, since he has magical powers that are driving him crazy and making him want to kill. At any rate, Cal made the active, conscious choice not to murder or hurt people any more, but his weakness that carried over from Victor was that he's always in a situation where violence is called for. While that serves my purposes in the story, it doesn't feel authentic.

Perhaps I need to indulge in a bit of imaginative suffering and go through the flashback of Calistar's first battle. I don't think that it affected him enough. I don't think he became the kind of disturbed individual that wars give us. My professor today pointed out that there are generational consequences for being exposed to war--domestic abuse from returned veterans on their families, the insanity of the men as they try to cope with being home again having seen what they have seen, and many more important, forgotten things. Cal doesn't operate that way. He's not struggling enough with the choice and the reality. He isn't feeling the pain of war as deeply as he should.

Then again, we're talking about modern war as opposed to medieval warfare. Perhaps there's a difference in how a soldier responds to seeing a shell turn his friend into a geyser of gore and dirt as opposed to how a soldier responds  to the feeling of his own sword driving through armor and grating against the ribs of his enemy. I don't know. But I worry that an ethical, moral person who knows that killing is wrong will have to face the consequences of choosing against what is right, and, having never done it, I won't be able to really express the problems and difficulties that derive thereby. Or maybe I'm just worrying over nothing.

Different Topic 

I'm having the most curious feeling about all this, though, that I'm going to go ahead and express, even though it sounds silly: I'm looking forward to doing revisions on this thing. I actually am...I can hardly wait to have the whole manuscript in my hands--even though I probably won't use the hard copy for my revisions--and knowing that I've put the ideas down. I'm not casting about for the next story and eager to see the end of this one. In fact, I think I might be trying to add complications to the story just so that I can keep going on it and not have it end. (I'm fighting the impulse.)

This leads me to another possibility, one that I may have mentioned in the last 20 logs or so, but I can't remember if I have: I think this book is good enough. Not in its present form, obviously, since there's so much work yet to do. But I'm feeling more confident that this story will impress someone that they'll give me a shot. Perhaps that's egotism--probably is egotism, since I do seem to esteem my writing more than it warrants--but it's something that I really hope for.

Then I get a small measure of reality when I think about publishing this story: It's a character novel about a Poet. So I'm mixing poetry (not the world's most popular topic) and throwing it into a blender with politics, world building, and high fantasy locations. It doesn't really scream summer blockbuster. While I find it captivating and worthwhile, I'm unsure of how to pitch this thing so that people get excited about it. I mean, let's be honest: How many people are really thrilled to hear about the idea of poetry as a magic system in a fantasy world? How often do people stop and say, "I have a hankerin' for some Billy Collins and Robert Frost"? (Not that I'm as good as either of them--not by a long shot--they just happened to pop into mind.) It's pretty rare that poetry gets people going. Even though Poetry as a magic system is important, it isn't used to excess in the book, which is something that I can't decide if I should downplay or trump up.

But then I think of how interesting the book actually is. Obviously I'm biased, but I can look at my own writings and determine when the stories really have a lot going for them, and, in this case, I think that I do have something cooking that's worthwhile. I do. I just have to keep believing and hoping that someone feels the same way as I, and that we meet up somehow.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both