Skip to main content

Writing Log 5-19-2012

I knew this would happen. You see? This is why I don't outline. I put in a lot of effort in the outlines and try to write it all out beforehand, but you know what happens? Days like this.

See, I got an almost record number of words done today (8,177 to be exact), and while I'll keep most of them, they spin the story in a completely different direction. Part of that comes from the fact that I went ahead and put in the twist that I had thought about from last week. I decided to go ahead and do it for the simple reason that I wasn't thrilled by the ending that I had outlined. I thought that a little bit of a twist would spice things up and thrill me a bit more.

It sure did that.

Unfortunately for me, it also shot the rest of the outline to pieces. I'm not certain how to patch it up, so I think I'll probably throw it away and redraft the stupid thing. Ironically, I've been changing the document a lot on my word processor, and to keep track of the changes I've literally crossed out the parts I don't want to keep. Instead of just rewriting the chapter's synopsis, I actually strike it out, preserving the way that it's being modified as I go along. This is a bit of narcissism on my part, because I'm pretending that someone will actually want to see "How it Could Have Ended" behind the scenes sort of thing on the book. I'd post it, but it's nothing but spoilers, and I know that a couple of the 8 or so people who read this blog are also reading the story. I don't want to change their experience. But I am keeping the document, so perhaps one day it'll be published on my (as yet unmade) website. Or the blog.

Anyway, I may or may not be within striking distance of my goal. I'm pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll need a sequel, but the guy who stomped his way into my prayer a few weeks ago won't be able to get his way in if I leave it the way that I'm going. (Although, even as I'm writing this, I'm concocting a way in which I can keep The Rapper--my mental name for this guy, who's like Zach de la Rocha with fewer swears--in the story without tweaking too much. There's some logic that I'll have to put together, but that's always the case in novel writing.) But this ending is much more satisfying to me, and though I haven't figured out how to solve all of my problems with this book, I've come a long way. If things work out just right, I might be able to skip a couple of my outlined chapters--or condense them into one instead of two or three chapters--and actually finish this next week after the quidditch party.

Seriously. How cool would that be? End my first season as a quidditch coach on the same day that I finish my biggest novel ever?

That would be cool. We'll see if it comes to pass...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow