Skip to main content

Writing Log 1-31-13

Thus ends the second draft of Writ in Blood.

Oh yeah.

Three years ago this month, I had an image come into my head of a man dressed all in black, standing in the middle of a Grecian street, like a stone in a river. He was a Poet, and a killer, and I had no idea who he was.

I never found out.

Instead, Nicomachus took a decidedly more introspective and (to me) interesting turn. With the idea of a fantasy story that mashes up a Mediterranean milieu, a Shakespearean speech pattern, and a Lost-inspired structure, I embarked on Writ in Blood, completely unsure of where I was going or what lay ahead. After three varied, interesting, and fantastic years, I can proudly announce that I have finished my third reading of the book and its first major revision.

Of course, I have to wonder how "done" I really am. I don't feel like it's perfect yet, that it's ready for submission. But I also had a goal to get the manuscript into the hands of an agent by 2013. Well, it's 2013. In fact, I'm one month (exactly) behind my goal of getting the second draft finished. Considering what's been going on in life, I'm okay with that.

But the question of "how many revisions are enough?" tickles my mind--especially since the magic number a lot of writers settle on is six. Six drafts, however, include those with editors and copyeditors and assistants, so it's a little different there. But, still--I don't know if I can keep pushing through this book another four times. Obviously, I need to give it one more pass and tighten things up. I excised nearly 50 pages of text for this version, but it's still over the 250,000 word threshold (by 60,000 or so words) that most agents feel comfortable pitching to publishers. I honestly don't know what else to cut, as part of the world is language. What could be said in fewer words in a normal novel really shouldn't be said more succinctly in this one, as that would ruin the tone. Still, I'm sure there are another 10,000 words that I could cut somehow--just 18 or so per page ought to do it......except that's insane and I don't know how I'd do that.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited. I finished the book in May 2012, read through it, redlined it, and have now entered the edits into the computer, complete with necessary rewrites. I did that despite having picked up a new sport (quidditch for life!), resumed the school year, and helped my wife through the first trimester of pregnancy.

Not too shabby.

On the whole, I'm still incredibly pleased with the book. There are already blemishes that I can think of, and I almost want to start over and tighten and tweak and refine right now, but I know I need a bit of a break. Not too long of one, mind you--I've neglected the book for too long, so it's time that I really put some effort into it again. The real question is how to get feedback on this draft. I've shown off the first draft to everyone who wanted a copy, so I'm kind of wondering what to do about that. My group is slowly finishing things up--they're about 25 chapters from the end, I think--and while their input will be useful, it isn't quite the same because I've changed so many things. So I don't know what to do there.

This has been an extremely difficult book for me to write. Unlike the others, which seemed like the next story that I needed to write, this one has been far more ambitious than anything else. With six concurrent storylines spread through three different characters, plus dozens of locations, subplots, conspiracies, and loose ends to deal with, I feel like my vision outstripped my ability. For that reason alone I feel like this is the book that I need to pursue. I've been thinking about Words of the Silenced for a while, and I'd love to return to Tintyr and my crazy people and my giants. And, to be honest, putting another 100 hours or so into WotS would probably make a more marketable book.

But this is the one that I'm leaning towards. I don't know if it's vanity (a very likely possibility; I try not to put much stock in my other abilities--guitar, quidditch, teaching--but I do have a very distorted sense of my own writing ability) or if it's the Spirit or just naked desire, but I really feel like this book is different. That it's special. That it could really change my life.

But what author doesn't say that?

Confession: I've puzzled over the success of Harry Potter for a number of years. I know all of the components of the book that made it a success--and I know why no other book series will be able to emulate it correctly. Knowing what goes into a good book doesn't mean that you can write a good book.

My story is not going to be another Harry Potter (not only because it's in the wrong genre to be compared, but for many other reasons, too). It's not going to be a huge financial success. It can't be--it's a book about Poets speaking in elevated language trying to keep their world from blowing up; that doesn't really appeal to wide audiences. So I have to think that on one hand, while on the other hope that my analysis is totally and completely wrong, because I really, truly want to be able to give Gayle the option not to work full time. There's no room for raises, bonuses, or career-cementing promotions in the public teacher arena. I knew that going into it. But I always imagined that my writing would make up financially for what my teaching could not. And if I don't think that people are going to read this book, then there's no way that things will ever change.

One thing's certain, though: I finished draft 2.0 tonight, and that makes me feel pretty good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow