Skip to main content

Tourette's


As rain began to patter across my windshield, I listened to a teacher in New York who was fired from his job because he has Tourette's Syndrome. His distress and grief came through and I felt for him. What, I thought, a story.

Obviously, it isn't a good story, in that it isn't a story about good things. But it was a good story because it had merit. It had worth. And I thought that it'd be so nice if my life had that, too--a story of worth or merit.
That isn't to say that my life is bereft of anything dramatic or interesting. It's just that my life is so simple, so padded, so convenient that I hardly notice the bumps as bumps--they all feel like mass potholes when, in reality, they're mostly just pebbles.

I guess a large part of it is that I spend so much time talking about writing and teaching others about writing and thinking about writing that I never sit down and hammer out sentences, putting one letter after another until the page is blank.

Part of this feeling comes from a couple of milestones: One, I started revising Writ in Blood a while ago and have tucked away just over a quarter of it. It hasn't been easy; the story is stale to me, having gone through it so often. I'm ready to be done with it, but only my own pigheadedness is letting me push through.

Two, in a week or two I'll be 'celebrating' my anniversary of having finished the book. I was without quidditch back then, so my Saturdays were filled with writing. I still remember--quite vividly--the feeling of wandering around UVU trying to finish the book once I got kicked out of the library. Now I'm wandering around, wondering how in the world I can balance everything I want--while knowing that I can't.

Three, I did submit to an agent in New York.

Four, I did get rejected by an agent in New York.

Five, I talked with Brandon Sanderson for about an hour and a half this week, listening to him share his experiences about publishing. He read over the first page of my book (which was really exciting, though for me, when I'm really, really excited, I'm rather calm and collected--unless it involves roaring at dinosaurs). I thought he'd have dozens of small recommendations on how I could tweak it and slim it down.

He didn't have one.

In fact, he called it dense, poetic, and contemplative--which he meant neither as a compliment (which is how I took it, since that's what my book's about) nor as an insult. His point was that the writing was good--it just might have a hard time selling. There's nothing wrong with starting books out with dense, poetic, and contemplative prose, but that's going to be hard for others to jump into. It's worth it (I like to think), but it isn't easy. And, since I have no brand name to lever, it's a majorly uphill battle.

He told me to write another book.

Six, we're expecting our third kid this July, and I always seem to start a new book when a new kid is born--something I had mentioned before--and he said, jokingly, that I was going to do it anyway, so I may as well.

So I'm at this really distinct point at my life: I may have pushed this book as far as I can get it (except for the final revisions, of course), and I may have enjoyed my quidditch life as long as I can. With a new baby on the way, a thirtieth birthday celebrated, and another school year (almost) down, I can't really see the pathway forward.

As the rain came down on my car, I almost envied the man who had lost his job to Tourette. I guess it feels like my life has writer's block--but at least he still has something to say.

Comments

Unknown said…
You should let me read your book! I would love to write a book and have it published, but I'm an extremely impatient person. Good for you for sticking with it, best of luck!
Mimi Collett said…
That is SO COOL that you got to talk to Brandon Sanderson.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both