Skip to main content

Slave to the Script

I've been 'finished' with Writ in Blood for over a year now, but I'm not done with it yet. I spent the last year reading, revising, rereading, revising, and now going through a "final" edit of the book. This will be the last time that I touch the book until I get an agent, as I am ready to vomit with weariness every time I launch yWriter5 and work on the beast.

But things are happening. The book--despite all of my earliest efforts--is actually shrinking. I'm losing a couple hundred words every time I sit down--which usually entails a chapter each time--which, if I keep this up, will put my total number at 280,000 words or so.

Why is this good? Well, I'm glad I asked.

I did submit (as I mentioned earlier) to an agent, but was rejected within a couple of weeks. Part of it has to come from the size of my book. Retailers (who still matter a great deal in this business) aren't eager to give an untested brand--which, in publishing, is one's name (Stephen King have a more well known 'brand' than Steven Dowdle)--too much shelf space.* Why let some newbie have so much space when the new George R.R. Martin is coming out soon? They'd rather have multiple copies of the latest Song of Ice and Fire paperback on a shelf than Writ in Blood.

Do I know, empirically, that the length was part of the reason I was rejected? No. Of course not. But it's a pretty reasonable assumption. There are books longer than mine, of course, and some of them are by new authors. But that wasn't what worked for me.

And there's another issue to consider: The book needs to be shorter. I know that I spilled a lot of digital ink on bragging about my output for the last couple of years. Now I'm trying to undo all of that. But as anyone who writes frequently can tell you, taking away is much easier than adding to it. Compressing, reducing, cutting, trimming--it all builds together for a much more enjoyable read. If all 310,000 words had needed to be there, I would be fine with that. But, as I'm working, I realize that isn't the case. I don't need all of them. I just need most of them.

Examples, yes?

Here is some text from the second draft as it read today before editing.
Disrobing, he crawled beneath the covers, his legs whispering to the linens their pleasure at being surrounded by something so clean. The room, located in the Potentate's Palace across the street from the Circle of Heroes, had a beautiful view of the Circle itself, if the night had as much light as it should have. The glowrods still struggled to illumine the darkness, though in some places it had faded out entirely. Other reports had filtered in about further repercussions of the loss of the Writ, though nothing as drastic as he had feared at first. Originally he had been afraid that the perdition of the Writ would become exponential, with loss building upon loss. As it stood, however, the first interruptions had slowed. Though not stabilized, he knew the city had greater safety now than they had had before. The Weeping Men still haunted him--no one knew where they had gone after breaking free at the border, and all feared their appearance in Coratha.
This paragraph consists of 166 words and does just what it's supposed to do. There's action described, a little bit of Nic's voice there in the poetic description, and important information about the location of where he is. It's all pretty much necessary. Still, however, I was able to reduce this paragraph by more than ten percent. Here's the current draft.
Disrobing, he crawled beneath the covers, his legs whispering through the clean linens. The room, across the street from the Circle of Heroes, had a beautiful view of the Circle itself, if the night had as much light as it should have. The glowrods still struggled to illumine the darkness, though in some places it had faded out entirely. Other reports had filtered in about further repercussions of the loss of the Writ, allaying his fears that the perdition of the Writ would worsen, with loss building upon loss. That had not happened, and he could only credit the fact that *********** had not taken the Writ out of the city.

His mind wandered to the greatest threat: the Weeping Men. No one knew where they had gone after breaking free at the border, and all feared their appearance in Coratha. Yet none had any report on their whereabouts. 
Combined, these two paragraphs now have 149 words. They do all the same things, but keep it tighter, cleaner, and more in control. For example, I kept the idea of legs whispering in the clean sheets, but I eased off on the anthropomorphic mode. I took out superfluous information regarding locus and tightened the overall look by making one paragraph into two. (By the way, the asterisks denote a mild spoiler.) I cut down on the amount of 'reminder text' that refreshes the reader about stuff they'd read earlier in the book.

This process is time consuming. I have to read each line carefully and make sure that there's nothing unnecessary that's left behind. If I'm going to sell this book and its 280k words, I need to make sure that each one is worth having in there and reading.

On an alternate note, I have already begun work on my next book by designing the magic and technology systems that let the sci-fi/fantasy hybrid I'm thinking of come to pass. I'll post more as events warrant.


-----
*Yes, ereaders abound. I know. That isn't, actually, what matters here. Until the roles change and hard copies sell the vast minority of copies, the amount of physical space one's book takes up on the shelf is a legitimate concern for book vendors.

Comments

Mimi Collett said…
Good luck! I am glad you find your task of downsizing easier than making it longer. Be ruthless! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow