Skip to main content

End of the Story

I have exulted many times on this blog that I am finished with Writ in Blood. Every time I've kind of meant it. But it's stuck in me, like a hair that I've almost swallowed but haven't been able to get out of my mouth yet.

No more. I am officially done with all that I have to do this side of being picked up and published.

I can't really explain how I feel about this. I've commented a few times that this is the story that I felt had the best bet for publication (I no longer think that). I've also said that I wasn't as scared of/dreading as much the revisions of this book. Well, by the end, WiB was feeling just like everything else I had done. I was finished with it right around chapter 20.

But I pushed on, just like I'm supposed to. (If I can't act like a professional when I have very little time to write, then I can't really expect that I'll have the discipline to act like a pro when I do have the time. At least, so the theory goes.) It was rather unpleasant, on the whole. The advantage is that I'll be able to put editing behind me for then next long stretch, as I have a new book that I've been wanting to write since October 2012. So I'll be able to refill my reservoir of patience with the rewriting stage over the next few dozen months.

I don't know what I want to say in this post. It's really the end of the story. I have tried to document my feelings and successes as I wormed my way through the last three and a half years working on this book. It's been incomplete but honest, which is about all I can really expect of myself. I have learned a lot about my writing, what I am capable of, and what I can do when I really apply myself. I also learned that once I start editing, it's hard to switch back to normal writing mode. (For example, I just noticed how much I wrote "I have" and "myself" in this paragraph. I'd edit it, but I really don't want to.)

I suppose the last thing to consider is this: Will I ever return to this book? The simple answer: No. I have no plans of ever revisiting this behemoth (which, I happily note, is actually 286,957 words now. Somehow, I managed to shave off 24,000 words. Well, the somehow involved paring down sentence after sentence, dropping a number of interludes, chapters, and details. But that it actually worked is quite surprising.) though I certainly have possibilities of a sequel in mind.

But the complicated answer is, of course, more complicated. I would love to go through this book again, if it meant that I was working with an editor, agent, or both so that this could be a published experience for everyone. I think the book is still too big (250k would scare off a lot of publishers), but without expert outside opinion, I don't know what else to cut. And, as I've kind of intimated here, I'm not keen on dwelling on this book any longer. I want to move on. I need to move on.

Oh, and I should point out that I have achieved my goal of finishing the book before August. As a reward, I get to eat out with my wife--maybe see a movie, who knows?--and then take a day off to read. Like, whatever I want. That's my reward, aside from seeing an enormous job finished.

Yes, rewards are great. So is being justified in accepting them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both