Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part XII): The Agon of the Bard

Before I got a chance to even teach Shakespeare again in school, I was asked to be a dramaturge and acting coach as Maeser prepared to go down to Cedar City for the annual high school Shakespeare Competition. The Competition ran during the first weekend of October and involved the high school students giving different renditions of monologues, duo- and trio-scenes, and an ensemble. The drama teacher, Cam Cahoon, always asked Justin for additional insights and help to get the students ready for the Competition. This year, I was asked to help.
I had heard about the Competition before; my in-laws had gone to see Merchant of Venice the year before and had mentioned it. The idea of going down to see a play and help the students was exciting for me, and, since my wife could go down with me, I decided to start helping out.
The two or so weeks before we left, I spent hours after school working with one of the students on her speech as Hermione from The Winter's Tale. We discussed projection, blocking, context, pronunciation, and emotion--in other words, things about which I knew practically nothing. Nevertheless, having an adult who "knew Shakespeare" (whatever that means) gave her confidence and she went on to perform splendidly.

The Competition is a unique thing in and of itself. Hundreds of high school students bus into Cedar City for a weekend in which the entire focus is Shakespeare. Most of the kids are drama students, and so it's less about the Bard and more about the stage. Nevertheless, they get a genuinely theatrical experience, in more than just watching the professional play that they do the night before the competition begins.
Once there, I watch costumers, coaches, directors, tech crews, and performers all vie to outperform others in their session in front of professional actors who adjudicate the monologues and duo/trio scenes. Ensembles, with upwards of thirty or forty students, crowd stages with boisterous youths who belt out iambic pentameter with as much grace as they can muster, each trying to interpret and understand what they're saying. Most of the time, they know what they're doing.
Of course, there's no one who can approach the stage without coming up against William Shakespeare. Much like Freud in psychoanalysis, Shakespeare is the definition of the Western stage; anyone who wants to tackle drama has to either embrace or go around him--but no one can ignore him.
I think it's worthwhile that the students experience Shakespeare in a more personal way. He's on the tongue--that is, the accept of reading him provides only one access to the work. Seeing it performed puts you closer; it's how Shakespeare first gained any notoriety at all, of course. But it's putting the words in the mind and then the mouth that really changes you.

Part of this is a coming home. A disproportionate amount of effort is put into trying to convince people that Shakespeare has molded the language we have today. This is true, but only in terms of a per capita contribution. Many of the words he invented never stuck, and some were surely others', but it wasn't recorded, so he gets credit for what he'd heard around London. Additionally, the thousands he contributed, in comparison to how robust and enormous our language is--with its millions of words, permutations, dialects, and accents--he's a mere drop in the bucket. Despite all of this, there's something familiar and comfortable about experiencing Shakespeare orally. To see the origins of "in a nutshell", "heart on my sleeve", and "in a pickle" is to see the beginnings of modern thought--the beginnings of a star. Discovering for yourself the creation of the familiar has a reassuring effect, and I like to think that the Shakespeare Competition helps provide that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both