Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part XVII): Thanks, Shakes

Chronology here is getting a little twisted as I put this most-crucial moment down. I've tried to write in such a way that each experience informs the next, but I've taken my time to get to this point. Part of that comes from my own poor use of time--it's been the better part of a year since I last tried carving out anything else about the Bard. I've been a negligent disciple in many ways and to many of my passions.
At any rate, I repeat here what I've written elsewhere in an extended quote of myself. I will provide some small context before launching into this, however, as I'm approaching the anniversary of my trip to London.
At school, we devote the first three weeks of January to a special type of class called Winterim. I have, over the years, taught classes on video games, short film, garage bands, Harry Potter, and comic books. In January 2014, I went with a handful of students on a 10 day trip to England. Ostensibly, we were there to get a feel for English literature, but when I first proposed the trip, I only had my own passions to guide me. "What do you want to do?" the email query from EF Tours (the touring company) asked.
"Uh," I said aloud, "I don't know. See Shakespeare's grave. And Milton's. And...uh, the Harry Potter tour?"
I couldn't get around the concept of seeing Stratford-upon-Avon, so everything else kind of plopped into place as a spasm of afterthoughts and desperation.
Let me be honest: I didn't think the Winterim would pan out. We needed a certain number of kids to buy in for us to be able to go, and the cost was easily over $3,000--before tips, souvenirs, and food. Who would pay for that? And why would parents pay for their kid to go along and some scrawny teacher with a Shakespeare fetish? In an effort to keep my potential disappointment low, I refused to believe we were actually headed to London.
Yet the day came--okay, it came before we went to London. As the Group Leader of the tour, I had the opportunity to go to Paris for a four-day training trip two months before going to England. That was the moment that made me realize I really would end up on the British Isles--and soon. (Also, while I was there, I found a Shakespeare and Co. bookstore that's spitting distance from the cathedral of Notre Dame, which was very neat. I almost bought a Shakespeare book there, but decided not to, since I would be picking up a new copy in Stratford come January.)
When we arrived--jet-lagged but excited--in England, we started a whirl-wind tour of the place with hardly a moment to pause. Each night I tried to jot down the major events of the day, an exercise that I'm now quite grateful for. I've looked at some of the entries and they reignite my memories, filling me with the double-edged pain of gratitude and longing. I still really miss England, and while I'm glad that I have what I have--and whom--I will likely always feel that I'm living on the wrong continent.
(I couldn't drive on those roads, though. The left-side driving was terrifying.)
A little more than half-way through the tour, we departed London (where I visited Milton's grave, though with a significantly less profound experience than what I'm about to relate). Heading into the midlands, we approached Warwickshire, where Stratford-upon-Avon is located.
The day started at Warwick Castle, then proceeded into our tour guide, Becky's, hometown of Stratford. As we approached our lunch's stopping place, I had the feeling to look up and to my left. Like an electric shock, I realized the run-down building just outside my window was Shakespeare's home. I couldn't prove it--I couldn't even tell Gayle to look before it was gone--but I just knew it. I can't explain it in any other terms than that.
We circled around to a car park and I let the kids out of the coach. The anticipation, disbelief, and excitement culminated in the weakest of knees. I couldn't stand for fear of collapsing.
After some moments to recover myself, we wandered down the small street on which the young Shakespeare would have played, staring at shops that were centuries away from his existence.  We ate at the shops, took pictures, and generally marveled. In my journal that night, I wrote this--along with greater detail--about the experience. I had purchased my new 'baby William' already and was floating fairly high on just a general Shakespeare rush when we piled into the coach, drove past the RSC theater (Royal Shakespeare Company Theatre, I guess), and stopped before the church in which Shakespeare was buried.
"We pulled up in front of the Holy Trinity Church and there walked up through the short graveyard to the entrance. Moss-covered tombstones toothed their way through the grass. A feeling of transcendence began to float over me.
Normally, when I enter a European church, I'm overwhelmed by the architecture and the piety that's plastered over the walls. That's how I felt in Saint Giles' Church at Cripplegate.
Not so here.
It's sacrilegious to say that I was almost irritated by having the Bible being read aloud by a little woman off on one side, but I think it was because it was background noise; the words of Holy Writ weren't penetrating my disbelieving fog: I was in the chapel of Shakespeare's resting place.
Paying the four pounds admission wasn't even a thought--though Gayle kept trying to tease me about not being able to afford it--and then we were there. I listened with half an ear to the tour guide, Allen, explaining interesting things about the chapel and its most famous occupant, but I really only had eyes for the grave.
Leaning against the thigh-high railing, I looked at the tomb, outlined with blue rope, a gleaming placard at the foot of it. Above the space, printed in the original spelling, was the epitaph--the last thing likely penned by the Bard--which encouraged none to disturb his 'dust'--his quintessence.
Even thinking back on that moment fills me with an ineffable surge of proximity. I did feel a little light headed, and, when I thought of how close I was to whatever is left of him, I am not ashamed to admit I nearly wept.
I don't know why it mattered so much, but it did. It wasn't a grieving sort of feeling--I'm totally over the fact that he and Milton are dead. It was almost...gratitude.
I've been thinking about this a lot, lately, as to why I find belief in God so necessary. It's because I feel like having someone to feel grateful toward helps fulfill the experiences of my life. I really like saying thank you. So when it comes to Shakespeare--a man who has for seven years now definitively shaped my life, while also doing so less overtly for all of it--I feel a deep and certain gratitude for what he wrought. He has, more than any other writer, inspired my deepest thoughts and my greatest ambitions. He has fueled my imagination, sparked my vocabulary, and transported me to new levels of artistic craft. When I think of who I'd most like to write like, it's Shakespeare. I cut my poetic teeth on the juicy meats of Shakespearean sonnets; I have a job because of Shakespeare.
Being so close to his quintessential dust was an opportunity to experience gratitude. I didn't mouth the words--in fact, I didn't process the experience until now, as I'm writing--but that's the emotion that I felt. And, in much the same way I feel an unexpressed gratitude to Peter's surgeons for saving his life--and in a lesser way to how I feel toward God for having saved (and given us) Peter's life--I expressed that by being there.
Five thousand miles were not too many to traverse for this experience.
In terms of gratitude, I will be forever grateful for what I felt and saw here today. It is sweet and nigh-on spiritual. I recognize that not everyone can understand or appreciate what happened. But that's what transcendence is: Beyond the pale of what we can literalize and conceptualize via language. And that is exactly what I feel toward Shakespeare now--it isn't a worshipful, deific kind of appreciation. I don't see Shakespeare in that way. I see him as a man who has helped me to understand the world and myself better.

I see nothing wrong with being grateful for that."

Comments

Andrea said…
I never thought I'd say this ever, but I miss high school. Actually I take that back, I don't miss high school I just miss Shakespeare.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both