Skip to main content

Why Birthdays Are Hard

I am one of those people who, after 32 years of birthdays, still likes getting older. Well, I suppose I should clarify that: I love having a birthday.

When I was about to turn 24, my first son was born. In fact, it was the day before my own birthday when he came into this world. In part because I was happy to be a dad, and in part because he almost didn't stay in the world for long, I enveloped Peter's birthday into my own. The one day's difference didn't bother me (even though, as a child, I secretly hated my younger brother for having a birthday in March), and I have always deeply enjoyed celebrating my son's birthday with my own.

Part of my love of a birthday is from growing up. In a family of four kids, there were plenty of ways in which I could get attention from my parents, but I was always content to just kind of...be there. I didn't do a lot of sports, extra-curricular activities, or trouble. I was pretty content to cruise, rarely doing much outside my comfort zone. As a result, birthdays became times when I had greater attention from most everyone, and it happened because I managed to keep breathing since the last time the calendar read 26 April.

Feeling that appreciation was something that I was a little disappointed in when I finally became an adult. The college I attended had Finals Week--invariably--whenever my birthday came around. One year I remember specifically as being a day with a very large final in the morning, then a job interview to work at a place I didn't like in the afternoon.

Adulthood, in other words, prevented me from having the kinds of birthdays I wanted. You know, one where, since it's Your Special Day you get to go where you want, sleep in, eat at your favorite restaurant, watch a movie, and then be showered with presents in the evening? That's what I thought I would get once I finally pulled free of the expectations of school and moved on into my adult life.

But I didn't grow out of school. I became a teacher--and, what's more, a high school teacher--so I didn't have the option of a free birthday. (Substitutes, by the way, require more effort and planning than going to school. So skipping out on classes actually leads to more stress on my part.)

That was okay. I didn't have to have my childhood repeated throughout my working years. I could live with that.

But then I started preparing myself for having to teach the World Wars, two of the most gruesome and heartbreaking events of the modern world. And, because of how we structured the school year, March became World War I and April, World War II.

As a teacher, I try to teach passionately and thoroughly. Skimming over things--especially important things--frustrates me. Because of this, I took additional college classes on the World Wars in order to teach them better. I have copious notes--which still amounts to, essentially, a superficial knowledge of these largest of conflicts--that I review annually as I prepare myself for the lessons.

The thing is, every year, right on or just before my birthday, is when I have to teach about the Holocaust.

It is a horrible experience. Every year.

And not because of the class or behavior issues. It's not because I forget the content (I review enough to remember what I want to say, though, for the most part, I block out what I know). It's because, of all the lessons I get to teach, this is the one that I want to be the most powerful. It's the one I want to do best. It's the one I want to sear into their minds (despite the cliché that idea is).

I cannot make students remember anything. Tests and projects are blunt instruments at best. But I can make many students feel something. Unfortunately, I can only do that if I feel it, too.

So every year--this time, it's actually on Shakespeare's birthday--I have to dust off the PowerPoint, find the music, watch the videos, and prepare myself for the emotional trip.

It leaves me exhausted. And while I try to put on a brave face for all the students, I end up crying. My own inadequacies become more and more apparent as I struggle to express some of what I think, and feel, and know. I worry that I go too far; I worry that I don't go far enough. I fear that there will be kids who can't handle it and have to walk away (as some did this year). I fear there will be kids who think it's a waste of time because they've "heard it all before"--as if their 16 years' experience is enough to encompass something as unfathomable as the Holocaust.

And so the rest of the day is glum, even though spring sunshine often breaks through and the joy of celebrating my birthday with my son's is just around the corner.


It's one of the few times that I can say that I know I've done my job well if I hated being at the work I love. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow