Skip to main content

Unsolicited Review of Jurassic World

I watched Jurassic World last night. Short version: I liked it quite a bit.

Long version:

I have a love/love relationship with the Jurassic Park series, a love that blossomed when the first film came out in 1993. The novel Jurassic Park was the first 'adult book' (so called in my brain because 1) my dad read it, and 2) it was found in airport bookstores, which never carried any of the Dragonriders of Pern or Spider-Man novels that comprised most of my reading diet at the time) I read. I knocked the whole thing out over a weekend while in 6th grade. I still remember hauling the battered paperback in the inside pocket of my coat, thrilled that it fit.

Memories of the summer of '93 are still fresh in my mind: Seeing the 7-Eleven cups with scenes from the movie and having no context why a guy was hugging a triceratops; the giddy thrill of seeing the cup of water oscillate; laughing at some of the few jokes I understood; identifying with little Timmy as a young, male protagonist; freaking out when he almost died in the kitchen scene--the list could continue. I distinctly recall trying to talk my five-year-old little brother into not being scared ("There are funny parts! Like when this one guy tells the kid to put back the binoculars because they're heavy! See? Don't be scared!") because I didn't want my dad to cancel us going to the movie.

I was in love with the film from its opening scene to its last shot. I pined for property-based toys (though I never got any as a kid--Spider-Man action figures always took my dollars instead) and played Velociraptor during recess with my friend. I drew dinosaurs in my Utah history class--which was a better use of time than paying attention, I'm pretty sure--and had fantastic dreams of a pet Tyrannosaurus rex in my basement.

The second film came out while I was in middle school, and though it didn't grab me in quite the same way as before, I still really enjoyed it. That it broke box office records only made me happier.

Even the third film, with its horrible ending, still made me happy when the T. rex stepped up for the ninety second fight against the Spinosaurus. That left me tingly with happiness and felt worth the price of admission.

There was a lot of baggage that Jurassic World had working against it, I guess you could say, but it also had a huge amount of leeway--my expectations were to see dinosaurs eating people, so the film perfectly filled those expectations. However, the adult Steve could see problems that the youthful-exuberance-filled Steve wouldn't have either cared about or seen in the first place, which leaves me in a confused middle.

The Sad

There were some things that made my experience in the film a little sad. Not that's just pathetic kind of sad, but they really missed an opportunity kind of sad. The first hit was the sound design and score.

Like many people of my generation--and the next, thanks to Harry Potter--owe John Williams the soundtrack to their childhoods. His iconic sounds are what movies were made of. In fact, with the notable exception of The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, I'm hard pressed to think of a worthwhile film score that has a strong, widely recognized earworm for its theme. And while Jurassic World  used the theme by John Williams for some of its key moments, the depth, texture, and wonder that Williams can distill through music was tragically lacking.

And that leads to the sound design as a whole. The hoots, growls, hisses, snarls, and roars of the prior Jurassic Park films are as distinctive and memorable as any other part of the franchise--maybe even more. The bowel-shaking roar of the T. rex in the first film is terrifying and undeniably cool the first time you hear it.

Yet that roar was drowned out by the not-John-Williams' score during one of the climactic moment. I could barely hear it! If you watch the incredibly tense T. rex attack in Jurassic Park, you may not have noticed that there actually isn't a score underlying it. It's just the sound of rain, screams, crunches, and roars. The lack of music helps make it more intense, and the sound designers' art really shines. Yet Jurassic World chooses not to follow in those Spielbergian footsteps--which makes me sad.

Also, there's a distinct possibility that the reason why the CGI work of the last decade or so is so humdrum now is because we know it's fake. We can tell, no matter how cool it looks, that Smaug is not actually there. But back in '93, when there wasn't the budget to do everything in computers, Steven Spielberg relied on Stan Winston and his studio to create terrifyingly fantastic puppets for close ups and direct actor interaction. Moving from puppets to CGI and back again actually helps enhance the reality of the shot, creating a tangible bridge that we subconsciously walk to generate the believability we want. Even the third Jurassic Park utilized this technique. Sadly, Jurassic World almost never did as much, relying on the incredible artwork of the digital animators and artists to sell almost every shot (including the gag shot at the beginning of a crow's foot in the snow).

Lastly, the dinosaur hierarchy makes me kind of sad. Obviously, T. rex is the main kahuna, and that's really how it ought to be. But the Indominus rex feels like a usurper to the throne throughout as a result. The entire plot, however, hinges on Indominus, so I can't really fault the hierarchy in that sense--because the story is what the story is (and we'll get to that). No, it's the fact that so few other dinosaurs get any screen time. The quirky Dilophosaurus is one that gets a two second shout out near the end, but even that isn't the actual dino. I mean, come on--the frill opening up, it hissing and spitting--that's pure terror right there. Yet the dilophosaur has been missing since the first film. That's sad to me. There are other really cool dinosaurs that could be showcased--real ones, even--that the Jurassic World franchise skipped over.

The Bad

The acting. I know that Bryce Dallas Howard will be ragged on a lot for this--and I'm sure she can act better, provided she gets better roles--but her entire performance felt staged. In fact, pretty much everyone acted poorly. Like, they just did--except Chris Pratt, who played his persona, so that went off really well. But Sam Neill's ability saved Jurassic Park III and Spielberg can coax better performances out of his casts in the first two films, so Jurassic World had a lot working against it. I didn't care as much for the human characters as I did in the past films, and that's always a shame.

And now the plot: I had to take a step back and let the prior films signify less to me as the story unfolded. I had to be content with this story instead of the one I've always wished they'd do (and Telltale Games made in their Jurassic Park video game which--were it not so hard to play--would tell one of the most exciting Jurassic Park stories ever told). But one of the biggest questions I had about Jurassic World (the amusement park) was how InGen got into the position to make the park in the first place. That answer was opaque and poorly rendered, yet it's one of the most pressing points of continuity.

The last part of the plot that really didn't work was the Indominus rex. The reason for it and some of the subtext that the beginning of the movie explores is certainly worthwhile--and it provides a bit of meta-commentary on the franchise itself--but it isn't the most interesting use of a dinosaur theme park premise. And this goes beyond the 'make up a dinosaur' concept of the film. Actual dinosaurs are so diverse, magnificent, and mysterious that we could mine them for film after film and still have generations of material. Dinosaurs are cool! Making one up as a mega-super villain works on a superficial, quick level, but it doesn't distinguish the film in any significant way.

What would I have done differently, you mayn't ask? Well, I'd tweak the massive gene-splicing concepts that run through the film's premise. Instead, I'd focus on the dinosaurs in their specific environments, allowing the wonder of living dinosaurs and people coming to grips with what they're seeing infuse a large portion of the film. The ideas of not just resurrecting the extinct but also modifying it in small, subtle ways, could have been captivating. The stegosaurs start behaving strangely, smashing into one of the guests, wounding her. The park closes temporarily to figure out what's going on while the lawyers try to settle without too much PR damage. While they're poking around, they learn the "no unauthorized breeding in Jurassic Park" comment has been wrong from the get-go, and there are a bunch of animals they don't know about on the island. They start searching, and people start dying--because that has to happen. Mistakes are made, more dinos get loose, and the next thing you know, you've got a lot of skilled people--instead of innocent victims and families--shown as being in over their head.

Sounds a lot like the first Jurassic Park, I admit, but it could allow the furthering of the "you can't control nature" theme in a way that's more engaging than what they did in Jurassic World. I guess the endless streams of faceless tourists didn't really raise the stakes for me. I felt just as worried--no, probably more worried--about Dr. Grant in the first film than all those crowds in the latest one.

Also, how'd they get the DNA for a Mosasaurus? It was underwater--when did it get bitten by a mosquito? It did provide for some cool down-the-throat shots, though, I'll confess that.

Lastly, I would have loved to see more diversity in the cast. The quasi-nuclear family was fine, but having the woman be the velociraptor trainer would've been cool, and while there's nothing wrong with having a lot of white actors, there's nothing wrong with their being a lot of black actors, either. (I'm pretty sure the first person to die was the Hispanic guy, by the way.)

The Good

The movie avoids the dreary, gritty trend of movies lately, letting the characters joke around, get into awkward, embarrassing moments, and includes the moments of wonder that punctuate the Jurassic movies.

I smiled and chuckled to myself and felt a squirt of the warm-fuzzies when the young boys were rolling through the field, alarming the Stegosaurus and Triceratops who were sunbathing.

I almost swooned as the original Jurassic Park theme music swelled during the introduction of the park. That was fantastic.

The action sequences were superb, for the most part. The raptors, when loosed, were tense and menacing, and their attacks were sharp, sudden, and satisfying. The dinosaurs looked fantastic--distinctly CGI, of course--but really cool.

The climactic battle was...well, let me just say, that the audience burst into applause when T. rex showed up. The rex is the star, no matter how many times they try to change that. I hope they embrace the reality that nothing will replace the king and just give us more of what we want. Because I loved seeing Tyrannosaurs rex doing, well, anything.

I will also say that the frequent references to the first movie were wonderful. It provided continuity and a sober warning of what was to come, and I loved seeing the old '90s props in the slick, sleek new version. Seeing the old visitor's center, covered in vines and the familiar murals on the walls--it was like coming home.

The Best

There were dinosaurs chasing and eating people.

The Rest

Within the entire structure of the (pardon me) DNA of Jurassic Park, is the idea of control: How to achieve it, how to guarantee it. And the dinosaurs, time and time again, prove how control over nature is impossible. This film provided that same commentary, with a couple of additional twists, including how money alone can't guarantee safety or control. Henry Wu's reappearance--and smug self-assurance--help to drive this point home, and I, for one, was grateful that they spent some time discussing the ramifications of the choices of the engineers. One of my favorite things about the first movie was the philosophical underpinnings of the film, making sure that the characters appeared to be considering what was going on, rather than simply reacting to the teeth.

There's also one little shout-out to the hullabaloo about the way the films' aesthetic fails to mirror current paleontology: Wu points out that everything they've done to the dinosaurs has been to adapt them to a modern world--a particular climate, a particular diet. He even points out that the dinosaurs look the way they do because that's what the park chose to do; none of the dinosaurs is actually a dinosaur.

This is subtle, but it explains why, for example, the raptors don't have feathers, or the Dilophosaurus has a frill. This is the exact right way to address the complaints, because it emphasizes what Grant says in Jurassic Park III: the monsters that InGen made aren't real dinosaurs. Real dinosaurs are found in the ground, in the bones. (I'm paraphrasing.) This is an important addressing of the frequent (and inappropriate*) accusations of the scientific community against the franchise.

On the whole, I really enjoyed the film. Nothing can supplant Jurassic Park in my heart and mind, but that's okay. There isn't a need for it to be anything other than what it is: A love letter to the prehistoric past.

----

*I think faulting a movie for making narrative- and audience-based decisions that sacrifice minutiae a facile argument at best. Poets don't nitpick documentaries for their poetic inaccuracies, and scientists--Neil DeGrasse Tyson particularly--ought to relax on the "not scientifically accurate" point. Where one can be accurate without sacrificing the story, well, that's up to the writer. Crichton knew this, and made errors all over the place because that was what he wanted for his story. Even scientist-led documentaries make mistakes that mislead the public--that's the nature of scientific study. They make mistakes and miss the point and all the human foibles reach into paleontology and biology and botany and whatever. The Jurassic Park franchise is about monsters that look like dinosaurs, but aren't--because dinosaurs are extinct and no amount of my wishing can change that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow