Skip to main content

Progress

I've been working steadily the past week on my three-project mess. It's kinda hard to show exactly how much each has progressed, but it's good to see something going on. At least, I think so.

Tales: 5,206 new words (that doesn't sound like a lot, but I'm pleased with it. I'm 25% through my goal for the month)

Press Start: I have 9,995 words in the project, a number of which I've culled from this blog. (Yes, just 5 words away from 10k! Of course, as I lamented in the last blog post, a lot of those words have to be thrown away. I don't have an overall goal for the month with this one. A large—probably overly-large—portion of this one isn't going to be written until I finish Baudrillard.)

Words: This is the revision one. It's going to float around 136,721 words (it's current count) pretty permanently. A better track: 3/44 chapters revised. That's not even 1% yet.

Books and Other Snippets

I'll probably post a little anecdote about the recent book signing I went to soon, but while there I picked up Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker and Alcatraz versus the Evil Librarians. The former I've yet to crack open (as you'll see in a moment) while the second was a delightful romp in middle-grade fiction, a genre I haven't read much in years, though I spent years within it when I was younger.

Aside from that I'm pushing through a collection of zombie short stories in a book called (imaginatively) The Living Dead. I am also reading George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords, as well as Terminator and Philosophy. Both are good in different ways. Additionally, I am currently 3/5 of the way through the first part of Henry VI by Shakespeare. I finished the moving and beautiful Cyrano de Bergerac by Rostrand just the other day.

But perhaps most importantly, I'm reading a social theory book by Jean Baudrillard called Simulation and Simulacra. This book is crazy—in a lot of different ways. More than anything, it is revolutionary for the way that I'm approaching the Metal Gear Solid essays in Press Start. Because of this book, those essays in particular will be a little more theoretical, but much deeper, than some of the other writings. It's frustrating, though. Because Baudrillard writes so thickly, with such a condensed style, it's really difficult to read it. I bought it at the beginning of the month, and just broke 70 pages on it. I have to mine the whole book before I start in on my MGS essays (MGEssays?), because that's just the way I am, so I'm getting a little frustrated at the pace of the reading. I think it'll be worth it, though.

Something Random About Me

I can't write with cold feet, apparently. It's not too bad if my legs are cold, or my body is cold, but certain things have to be a certain way for me to want to write. I'm learning this slowly, as I've rarely had a chance to make my own writing habits, save for a frantic pounding away at the keyboard every Saturday during the school year.

Apparently, I can't be too uncomfortable. I type this (and all of my work) on my handy Compaq laptop, with a lap board, in my reclining armchair. I can't be hungry, need to go potty, or too anxious to get up and play video games (or, more rarely, go on a walk). I can't have Peter running around being cute because it distracts and I feel like a bad parent for not playing with him. Of course, I pretty much always feel like a bad parent, so I guess that one is moot. Anyway, it's also important for me to have music playing in the background. Because wife and son are out of the house today (one of the best parts of scrapbooking is that it provides Gayle with something to do outside of the house; she's with her mother today), I have the PS3 streaming my music through our new surround-sound system. It's very pleasant, and it's nice to listen to it without the tinny effect that my laptop's speakers provide it.

Also, I can't start with a blog (like I did today), because I get distracted. Apparently I suffer from ADHD.

Oh, well. At least my blog looks a lot cooler of late. I like the shiny PlayStation 3 in the background.

Pretty....

....now I'm distracted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both