Skip to main content

Tutorial

NOTE: This is the rough draft of the intro to Press Start to Begin. It is supposed to provide an outline for me as the writer and you as the reader. It should be giving you a bit of the scope of what the work will entail, thus preventing anyone from getting the wrong idea of what the book will be about.

Feel free to comment below.

Tutorial

Welcome to the the tutorial. This is the area in which no lives are lost, ammo is infinite, and the result is taken from here and into the game. This is an area that is as picture perfect as you could hope for, a hold-my-hand, spoon-feed-me-the-answers section.

It won't last long.

What you have here is my own personal vindication, apology, and analysis of video games as an interactive form, an artistic experience, and (to quote Shakespeare's The Tempest) a 'brave new world' of narrative. It will expose and explore what it means to be a gamer in a theoretical sense, one based upon theories and responses, personal experiences, and a subjective view of why games matter.

This is not designed to be an entry-level book to critical theory, nor is it meant to be wrapped within the dense language of typical theoretical expression. Rather, I hope this to be an insight for the uninitiated, a justification for the devout, and mentally expansive for all.

Good luck.

Tools for the N00b

In the following pages, you'll see a number of words that are perhaps used differently than what you're accustomed to. This manual will help to explicate some of the terms; feel free to refer here often.

Gamer: The thinking player who manipulates the controller. {I feel that 'gamer' and 'player', while synonyms, have a distinction that I want to preserve. In particular, I see the 'player' as the one who is invested in the machinations of the ludic aspect--the fun, playing part. The 'gamer', on the other hand, should be understood as the person behind the player, the thinker, the human.}

Ludic: The playable aspect of video games. {Early video game theory circled around the concept of 'ludic' versus 'narrative' interpretations of a game; that is, how 'fun' is it versus how 'story-centric' it is. This book will explore and explode the binary.}

Narrative: The story aspect of video games. {Narrative is all about exploring a story and is one of the fundamental ways of human communication. Nevertheless, within the game it is often violently usurped, convoluted, or ignored.}

Avatar: The on-screen character that the gamer manipulates. {There are convincing arguments for a distinction to be placed in between 'playable characters' and 'avatar', with the latter maintaining a level of customizability that is not present in a 'playable character'; however, the concept of a narrative character--as opposed to a playable character--is referred to in the book as, simply, a 'character'. To prevent confusion, 'avatar' is used specifically as defined here.}


Seizure Disclaimer

This book is academic in that it is designed to appeal to those who wish to follow gaming as the latest narrative evolution, of understanding a uniquely digital exploration of the human experience. It is not meant to be a definitive treatise on the industry, nor is it based upon academia's current trends of thought on the subject. Instead it is my own explication of why gaming matters to gamers, and it is filled with personal anecdotes, extrapolations, and interpretations. I have relied on certain texts, not the least of which being Jean Baudrillard's Simulation and Simulacra McKenzie Wark's peerless Gam3r 7h30ry, to help expand and/or lift off my thoughts. Endnotes have been assembled to give appropriate credit.

Level Map

This book is broken into three main levels:

Exploration:
Dealing with the major themes of this book, Exploration is designed to familiarize you with the concepts that are at play, what is being pursued by the gamers, and what import it carries. Here are the foregrounding, developmental theses that provide the foundations off of which subsequent interpretations are based.

Experience:
Within Experience will be numerous essays about video games, with close, analytical expressions about each. The main points of these essays are all loosely assembled within the Exploration level. Every game says something about us and our society in some way--often, it's something that has been said in another place by a different game. Rather than trying to point out which game said what first (or better), I have instead focused on the games that I personally have found compelling. Some essays are autobiographical in tone--they reflect upon gaming experiences that I have had throughout my years as a gamer. Others are deeper paths that pull heavily from theoretical texts and discuss abstract concepts. Consider this a permanent spoiler warning, however: Any and all games discussed in this book are considered from a narrative whole, and no piece will be hidden for the neophyte. I will talk about the endings, beginnings, and everything in between wherever I see fit.

Exit:
Final thoughts, explanations, and examples will be found here. Think of this as the 'last words' section before the credits roll. The major thrust of this book is comprised in the first two sections of Exploration and Experience, so this last part of the book is notably smaller. Much like the denouement in literature should be similarly brief, this exit is perfunctory and, in a sense, valedictory.

Personalizing the Character

This is an individual work, in as much as any writer's work is 'individual.' Still, I take full responsibility for thoughts, connections, and assumptions made within this text. I do not pretend at any greater understanding of video game design, production, distribution, or interaction than what is contained herein. As a long time gamer and enthusiast for the pastime, I feel that this is a natural extension of what I have experienced throughout my life. Again, this book is part autobiographical; that is part of its tone. I have refrained from revealing any personally identifying information about any of the people mentioned in this book, though any and all cited texts, insofar as available and possible, have been noted and listed in the 'Works Cited' portion of the level Exit.

Comments

CFlo said…
I have a feeling I should really watch what I say now... SO I CAN BE FAMOUS B! But I do have to say, referring to our conversation the other day, this does sound very awesomely interesting.
Steve Dowdle said…
Boy. Hope I don't disappoint....
Stephen said…
Excellent so far. The style you're writing it in is interesting, to say the least. I'm looking forward to the rest. Are you planning on publishing this?
Steve Dowdle said…
@Stephen,

"Plans to publish" are hardly tantamount to publishing. Would I thrill to see it in print? Yes. Is it worth printing? Well, it has to be written first. Really, though I think it could be valuable to the gaming community—but I could just be full of myself.
Matthew Staib said…
Hehe, I would like to think our Winterim experience helped jump-start this.
Steve Dowdle said…
Yeah, basically. :p

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both