Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part III): High School as the Universe

Tenth grade introduced me to a new school, a new English teacher, and a real appreciation for the Bard. It was while in Mrs. White's class that I finally connected with the stories that were hidden in the mishmash of iambic pentameter and reputation. In large part, I finally understood the story.
The first play we attempted that year was The Merchant of Venice. Perhaps it is because of this comprehension that I still, to this day, consider it one of Shakespeare's most fertile and ambiguous of plays. Perhaps it is because my friends and I, whilst adapting the story into a children's book (per the requirements of the class), I had a lot of fun drawing Nerissa and Portia in a faux-anime style that gives me nostalgic feelings toward it. Or maybe it's the fact that I still think of the Prince of Aragon as a red-faced smiley sticker with spikey shoulder pads and an afro--as we depicted him in our book--that makes me think that Merchant of Venice deserves a lot more attention than it gets.
While working on the project, we had a great deal of fun shrieking Portia's friend's name: "Neriiiisssaaaa!" we'd cackle, doing our best impressions of banshees. A fellow classmate had the unfortunate luck of being named "Merissa", and we had a hard time not treating her the same way that we did Shakespeare's creation.
Mrs. White--in an emblematic, Shylockian way--bore our insanity "with a patient shrug" and even laughed at our exuberance.
Reverence for the source material was not something I much cared for at that point in my life.
Mrs. White added Macbeth to the curriculum--whether it was planned from the beginning or it sprung up on her, I don't know. I'm certainly glad, however, that the Scottish play finally made it into my mind. I know why it did, too: It's a play filled with stabbing, murder, and blood. Save the lamentable lack of zombies (bloody ghosts would have to suffice), it was pretty much just like my favorite video games.
More than that, however, was the graphical organizer Mrs. White used. The action of a decidedly complex play was lain out in cartoonish drawings. This helped my hyperactive brain to piece together what the words couldn't do. As I saw the shape of the tragedy take form, I felt it was, actually, kind of cool.
And with Shakespeare, the admission of any "kind of cool" sentiment is the first step to a glorious addiction.


***

Eleventh grade was American literature, so we didn't approach Shakespeare the way a responsible teacher would. After all, Shakespeare has been coopted by America in fundamental ways. American involvement in England has led to the reconstruction of the Globe Theatre just a few blocks from the site of the original Globe--as well as the discovery of the location of the old Globe--and the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.
In a less humblebrag way, there's a cultural appropriation that happens when Shakespeare takes over. "Shakespeare is American," said one of my fellow teachers once, only partially joking. He is American, as well as African, Latin, Asian, and Middle Eastern. What he discusses and transmutes from language to living is a touchstone of humankind, a way of charting our humanity. Of course, he's quintessentially European and--without question--English.
There's a counterpoint to this that Laura Bohannan asserts due to her own experience of trying to teach African bushmen about Hamlet. In it, she recounts how every plot twist of the play was met with bewilderment or agreement--but in all the wrong places. In the end, Bohannan concludes with the elders' correction about the stories, as if their reinterpretation somehow undoes the universality of the Bard.
What Bohannan misses is that it is not the particulars of the plays that makes them echo through humanity. Indeed, it never has been. George Bernard Shaw has been credited as saying "Shakespeare was a wonderful teller of stories so long as someone else had told them first" (though I can't seem to find the source of the quote; it is a typical bit of Shavian condescension, however, from a man who hated Shakespeare so fully), which is to say that plotting is not what the Swan of Avon accomplished. To mistake the vessel of his thinking for his thinking is the exact error that Bohannan makes.
We aren't saying that the parts of life that Shakespeare dramatizes are universal; were that the case, we'd all be psychotic murderers, besotted lovers (or drunks), and queens of the Nile. It isn't what they do, it's how they unfold their inner selves that gives us the understanding of who we are--it is the map by which we can tread our own lives and thereby learn more of what it means to be.
Additionally, saying that the universalism of Shakespeare is sound doesn't necessarily mean that all of the universe appreciates Shakespeare. His power doesn't come from the appreciation of subsequent generations. We recognize ourselves in the mirror that his art has held up to us--and we sometimes cringe at what we see.
Titus Andronicus is often dismissed--and, frankly, ought to be, in terms of the play itself--as too violent, too sensational, and too lacking of anything "of worth".
Yes, of course. That's true. It's about rape, mutilation, revenge, and forced cannibalism. Hardly the stuff for Sunday School.
But it is also true that humans must deal with atrocities--done to us, by us, or (most commonly) in our names--and see which path for coping leads toward madness. America--with all its promises, flaws, beauties, and mistakes--is the country that can most learn from Shakespeare's insights.
Shakespeare may not have ever been to America--I suppose it's possible, but I find it unlikely; a trip to Italy is more persuasive, though even that is a scarcely tenable position--but he is, in some fundamental and important senses, American.
No, I correct myself: His works speak as deeply to Americanism as it does to the Empire from which it comes. Shakespeare the person is almost irrelevant in the sense of cultural appropriation--just look at the Japanese and their infatuation with his plays. There's an undying interest in the plays of the man from Stratford, and ignoring the power there simply because the curriculum calls for attention to be paid to one side of the Atlantic ocean instead of another is fallacious--and folly.

Indeed, if nothing else, the recent push toward a country-wide standardization of English education that specifically invokes Shakespeare's works is a step in the right direction. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow