Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part IV): Senior Year and the Undiscovered Country

By the time it became apparent that graduation from high school would actually happen to me, I was convinced that English education would be my career. I loved to read and write, and I liked the idea of interacting with students. I enjoyed teaching people about things--usually video game, Spider-Man, or Mormonism related--and so I felt it a good fit to plan on being an English major.
I had to finish my senior year, however, and in order to do that, I had to pass my AP English class. Miss Bodily, our venerated teacher, would lean on her podium/desk, put one end of her glasses in her mouth, and ask us questions that forced us to truly consider, for the first time (or so it seemed) what a poem was actually saying.
I remember going home with my back-breaking AP Lit text book, Perrine's Literature Sixth Edition and cracking it open on my cluttered desk in my basement room. Highlighters in one hand and a blue fountain pen in the other, I would double check my assignment, then read slowly the poem in front of me.
It was like cryptography.
While I had years before abandoned any idea of being a detective (I realized I wasn't cut out for that career when I asked my brother why he'd named a file on the computer "MOOD"; he laughed and said it was "DOOM" backwards but he didn't want our mom to know he had such a violent game on the computer), I felt like poetry was a way for me to actually begin putting pieces together in a way that deepened my understanding of what was being said.
I quietly began writing my own atrocious, high school-level poetry. I tended toward acrostics (sometimes being clever by putting them as the last letter of each line, instead of the first) and modifying rhyme schemes to make them more complicated. I hadn't a clue about meter or scansion, and the idea of using similes, metaphors, or anything more advanced than alliteration was far beyond my capacity.
We'd been asked by Miss Bodily to recite a piece of poetry, so I memorized Robert Frost's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by putting it to music. I can still remember the guitar riff I wrote to go along with that beautiful poem.
Shakespeare appeared on the syllabus with Othello, a play that I can still see on the tissue-like pages of Perrine's. My friend and I, interested in making a recreation of one of the scenes, took advantage of our time in yearbook to record ourselves reading the play "in character". We always found it funny (and I still do, actually) that Shakespeare always used the phrase, "How now?" to say "What's going on?" And, since we were ever on the lookout for additional hilarity, we added our own Seussian rhyme to Shakespeare's: "How now brown cow my lord?" was inserted wherever we could.
I dressed up like Batman; my friend cut out a photocopied image of a penny and taped it to his cheek. We recorded ourselves on two cameras, one pointed at him and one at me, then edited them for two separate TVs. When it came time to present, we put the VHS tapes into two different players, then had the scene play simultaneously while on separate screens.
It drew a lot of laughs, which means that it was done well.
Othello impacted me more in these types of memories than in the story, though I dimly recall feeling sad about how Iago manipulates the Moor into doing his, Iago's, bidding. Since I was seriously involved with my then-girlfriend (now-wife) at the time, I'm confident some of Othello's jealousy warned me from worrying too much about what she was up to and with whom she spent her time.
It was about this time that I thought, If I'm going to be an English major, I should have a Complete Works of Shakespeare in my collection. When my April birthday (three days after William's...and 419 years, too) came around, my mom asked me what I wanted. My list included a guitar book (I think; I always wanted more guitar books), a rhyming dictionary, and The Complete Works.
Ever dutiful--if, perhaps, curious--my mom complied and got me everything I asked for. Inscribed in my $20 Borders' special is a quick note to commemorate my 18th birthday, and I consider it one of my best gifts...
...Though I doubted it after I got it.
Logically enough, I decided to start at the beginning. This particular edition follows in the First Folio's footsteps and puts the plays into three (loose) categories of Comedies, Histories, and Tragedies. Since I'd always just started at the beginning of any of my other books, I decided to do the same and started in on The Tempest (even though it's one of Shakespeare's last plays, it was put first in the Folio).
I had vague memories flicker through my head as I read, all of them coming from a PBS show called Wishbone in which the eponymous pup takes the place of Prospero in an episode called "Shakespaw". I knew I knew the story, but I couldn't really figure out what was happening in it.
I pushed through, laughing aloud at the line "By this hand, I will supplant some of thy teeth." But other than that, I couldn't get much out of it.
Just before my birthday, I had asked my parents if I could get a guitar of my own. "Once you get a job," my mother said. "We can go this weekend," my father said.
We went that weekend.
As we were driving around Salt Lake, looking for the right instrument for me, I held the black-covered Gramercy edition on my lap. We bounced about in my dad's golden BMW while I tried to puzzle out the lines. Conservative talk radio kept interrupting my reading, ranting about things Bill Clinton was guilty of, despite being out of office by then, and other shibboleths that made about as much sense as the words on the page in front of me.
Still, I persevered.
Knee-deep in Merry Wives of Windsor, I caught myself smiling. "Wait," I said, "this is supposed to be funny? Like, even for nowadays?"
At some point during either my junior or senior year, the Utah Valley State College arts department came to perform an abridged version of Macbeth. I remember liking it, particularly the part when Macduff decapitated Macbeth behind a piece of scenery and pulled up a fake, bloodied head.
Shakespeare accompanied me right out of high school and ghosted my early adult steps.


***

I had mixed feelings about my mission call for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; at least, at the beginning. Everyone who goes wants the place to either be exotic or fundamentally thrilling. While I didn't really have a preference on where, I didn't want to have to learn Spanish. After an abortive attempt in junior high to pick up the essentials of the language, I wasn't interested in working it in any more. But, to my surprise, I ended up being assigned to the Florida--Fort Lauderdale Spanish Speaking mission, which I loved and still keenly miss. I served from mid-2002 to mid-2004.
While in the Missionary Training Center, I was asked to write what I would want people to know if I were dying--what would me last words be? I can't remember much of what I wrote--surely a testimony about the things that had mattered to me most in life, all of which about the Church and my feelings for Christ--but I do distinctly recall writing these words: "Shuffled off this mortal coil."
Even though I hadn't read Hamlet yet--it was in the back of my Complete Works, so I wouldn't have finished it by that point--I was quoting it.
My mission had many remarkable experiences, but--like all things--it eventually came to an end. Return to home brought a return to my academic coursework, and, after marriage during my first semester home, I found myself bumping into Shakespeare more and more.
I had an assignment for one professor to read Romeo and Juliet. I'm confident I'd read it before (I don't know when--maybe in 7th or 8th grade), but I took to it in my familiar, black-and-gold bound Complete Works and found, to my delight, I understood and enjoyed much of what I saw. In fact, during Romeo's wooing scene of Juliet, I thought to myself, Yeah, this guy's a pimp-daddy. He can schmooze better than anyone!

One of my critical theory classes inspired me to pen a short story in which the main character was an English professor who gets run over by a Mack truck. Dead, she goes on a tour of the literary afterlife where she meets sundry "dead" characters: Boromir from The Lord of the Rings, Septimus Smith from Mrs. Dalloway, and Dumbledore from Harry Potter. Included in the mix are two star-crossed lovers who speak in the worst, most cringe-inducing faux-Shakespearean that's ever sat on paper.
I had no idea what I was doing. I knew I had to include these most-famous of dead characters, but I didn't use an ounce of poetic effort in creating their lines. Ultimately, I just dropped the pretense entirely and had them speak in normal English, including a line about how the professor could only understand Shakespeare when it was written, never when it was spoken.

I've wondered about that. The greatness of the Bard is in his language, but it's also the greatest stumbling block. Maybe it's because I really access things via reading more readily than almost any other way. Perhaps it comes from a feeling of ownership that I get when the interpretation is entirely my own. Whatever the case, if I were to look at that story again, I'd want that line stricken from the record.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow