Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part IX): Miracle of Shakespeare

During the time of anchorless living when my dreams of a career in writing seemed as far away as my hopes of a career in the classroom, I stumbled upon the idea of the authorship question. As I've already pointed out my major gripes with the whole bag of malarkey, let me say instead what I wish we'd focus on, rather than pointless drivel about conspiracies and centuries' old secrets.
I have to fast-forward chronologically to get to this point, but I think it's a crucial one. Back in the summer of '09, the local NPR affiliate, KUER, did an hour long segment on the Antistratfordian position, citing heavy hitters like Supreme Court Justices and Mark Twain as skeptics when it came to the authenticity of Shakespeare of Stratford. In it, they interviewed for a few brief minutes Ace G. Pilkington, a frequent facilitator of conversations at the post-show discussions at the Utah Shakespeare Festival. Gayle and I had recently learned about these conversations, nestled in between pines and red rocks, a stone's throw from the Adams Outdoor Theatre, and we happened to attend one in which Dr. Pilkington was speaking. One patron mentioned the show, and Dr. Pilkington gave his familiar gruff guffaw at it. "Here's what gets me," he said (according to my gauzy memory). "There's so much to talk about Shakespeare that it's ludicrous to waste any time at all on the authorship question. Wouldn't a show about one of his plays be more interesting than treading over these long-ago refuted arguments?"
That's it right there.
There's an abundance of Shakespeare to speak of. While old veterans may have heard many different interpretations over the years, there's always someone new in every audience who needs analysis that, to them, seems fresh and exciting and wondrous. So why must people think the only thing worth discussing is the pale cast of conspiratorial thought?
It is in this vein that, after I lost my chance at a job I felt confident would (and should) be mine, that I started poking around the Internet. Of course, this is a horrible choice, but I did find a worthwhile site that, with the endless, saintly patience necessary for dealing with Loonies (pronounced "LOW-nees", as a shout out to Dr. Looney (pronounced "LOW-nee") who really helped the whole Oxfordian hypothesis going). It documents a number of arguments and provides refutations that are well documented and researched. I pored over the information there, trying to puzzle out just what the Antistratfordians were after.

The unfortunately named Dr. Looney

Later, I picked up a digital copy of Spearing the Wild Blue Boar by Frederick Keller, which covered similar ground but with greater gusto and irreverence. This helped convince me I was on "the right side" of the argument and pushed me further from seriously entertaining the Oxfordian--or Bakish, or any other--case.
This was at last solidified by James Shapiro in his book Contested Will, which I mentioned earlier. Suffice to say, I have put in my time to ensure I knew more about the person Shakespeare than the layman, and a lot of it came during these months adrift.
Having said all of that, I do like the thought that a friend and mentor once said to me, which I here paraphrase: "You either believe in a hoax or a miracle. I'd rather believe in a miracle."

I'd rather believe in a miracle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both