Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part X): A Mormon Bard

Love leads to emulation. When I first started playing the guitar, I learned exclusively from a guitar/piano/vocal book of Dave Matthews Band's Under the Table and Dreaming. It gave me the rudiments of barre chords, open chords, and rhythm. I pored over that book with obsessive focus, breaking the G-string on my dad's guitar a couple of times in a single week with my enthusiastic strumming.
Soon I became proficient at the simple things, moving on to more advanced fingerings, different genres of music, and--eventually--my own compositions. Those early ones, so heavily engrained in my brain, still can spring to my fingertips with precious little coaxing. And almost all of those original tunes are heavily Dave Matthews Band derivatives. The strumming patterns, the chord voicings, the tempos--they all branched out from beneath the leaves of that first book.
While Shakespeare was by no means the first of my writing that became emulative (I had written my fair share of Spider-Man fan-fic; my earliest short story that I can remember, typewritered when I was seven or eight, was called "Dickensian" by my grandmother when she read it, though that's more her niceness than my ability), it was the first one that I wrote as a stageplay. I've never put a lot of effort into drama. It's easy enough to read, I suppose, though there are some limitations to the written version as opposed to the actual stage presentations, but it never struck me as something to actively pursue. I think part of my own reluctance to write drama is that I have a penchant for purple prose, which doesn't translate into the pure dialogue that is the play.
Of course, purple prose can turn into purple poetry. Shakespeare introduced me to the choices a dramatist must face.
It started out because of a lesson in my methods of teaching English class at UVU. The teacher had taken a blank piece of paper, folded it into eighths, split it partway down the middle, and created a small, pocket-sized booklet. Intrigued by the possibility, I snagged a piece of printer paper before heading out to church one Sunday. I folded it appropriately and then began dropping pentameter onto it. Conveniently, I could cramp my handwriting just enough to fit ten syllables onto almost every line; stopping at the end of the page let me know I had written enough feet. Soon, I was looking for a subject.
Because I have a robust sense of guilt, I assuaged it (a little) by using a religious story as inspiration. I considered the tale of David and Jonathan from 1 Samuel, as some of the verbiage is already more poetic than other parts of the Bible. As I was looking at it, however, the nuances of the story didn't strike me as easily adapted. Plus, to be honest, I try to think of who'd actually want to watch/read my work, and the story of David and Jonathan didn't seem well-enough known to want to attempt.
So I shifted my focus to a story from the Book of Mormon: The end of the Nephite nation. I figured that wholesale genocide, two men standing alone in their faith against those who were their brothers while fighting a war would provide an interesting dynamic.
I set about writing Cumorah, named after the hill on which the Nephites ended their entire existence. As the battle would provide the climax of the story, I decided to walk back to an earlier moment. Mormonic (I don't think that's a word) scripture is quiet on the spouses of any of the major players, so I inferred that Mormon had a wife, since he had a son named Moroni. I also took a guess that Moroni would be married, as that seems like a thing that people do, so I created an extrascriptural character in the form of his wife, Anna. I took from the nine chapters of Mormon, with a little from Moroni 1 and 10, plucking characters as their names struck me. Characters that act only as captains in the final battle are given new jobs, while others mentioned in passing are given lines and purposes and motivations. I invented a son to the King of the Lamanites, as well as extrapolated subterfuge as a large force moving the plot forward.
I centered the conflict on the gathering of Nephites to Cumorah in order to fight to the death against their hated enemies, the Lamanites. Mormon, as the lead commander of all the Nephite forces, has only his son, Moroni, as his confidant and religious prop. Moroni struggles a little with his faith, as does his wife, though more out of despair for the future than because of genuine doubt. Moroni also has a friend, Timothy, who helps as a spy in some of the scenes.
To enhance the drama, I created two threats: One at home and one abroad. The one at home came in the form of Jeneum, who is mentioned only as a captain of ten thousand men in the Book of Mormon. Jeneum, in my story, is a convert to the gospel, but has--along with almost everyone else--apostatized. His falling away from the church hurts Mormon, but he's enough of a professional to keep him close as an advisor and captain.
Jeneum and his coconspirator, Gidgiddonah, realize that their culture and people are doomed and wish to desert. They know, however, that it's dangerous to approach the Lamanites. They decide that Jeneum will feign another change of heart, get close to Mormon as a friend, and then assassinate him as a proof of their commitment to the new, Lamanite regime.
Meanwhile, the King of the Lamanites and his son, Lahmanha, are devising a way to extinct the Nephites. They pull in deserters, create alliances with other evil people, and lastly invite Mormon to a final battle at Cumorah. He provides a parallel to Mormon, as the King has a son for whom he's fighting, too. Lahmanha, as a contrast to Moroni, is eager to establish himself as ruler over the Nephites.
I threw in a couple of subplots, too: Anna--in the robust Shakespearean tradition--has a handmaid, Sarah, with whom she could converse. Some of my best-=and that is in comparison to the work as a whole--monologues came from Anna. She provides a voice of the struggle it can be to accept the crushing reality of the world, as well as a feminine presence in a very masculine story (and source material). She dies off stage, which, were I to rewrite this, I would change.
Now, I go through this lengthy description to show the lengths to which I went to emulate Shakespeare. I made every major choice in that play by asking myself (somewhat ironically, considering the inspiration for my story), "What would Shakespeare do?" Should I include a lot of direction? No: Shakespeare is parsimonious with his stage directions. Should I deviate from the source material? Yes: Shakespeare notoriously did so, though at that time I didn't know how. Can I have a character change from the beginning to end? Obviously: Shakespeare made his characters grow and morph throughout the course of his stories. Anna was added because I felt like there should be a heroine of sorts--much as Shakespeare had done. The fact that I alternated--sometimes within the same scene--between prose and poetry came because of the Bard. Even line breaks, when one character's thoughts bleed from one character to another and then back, came from my studies. I (erroneously) added an "-n" ending to any article or possessive that preceded a plural (it should've been for a vowel, instead) just because it gave it a more Shakespearean feeling.
One thing I did not do--and still can't--was put it into iambic pentameter. Yes, almost every line was ten syllables long. But the emphases never remain useful. Sometimes I went into prose just because I was tired of having to deal with scansion. In the end, it was too much for my feeble brain to handle. I could put in similes, metaphors, and allusions. I could muddle up the meter. I could even create subplots, puns, and lovers' dialogue. But I couldn't do that all while at the same time getting the de-dum de-dum de-dum de-dum de-dum the way I was supposed to.

So far as this writing is concerned, I've never again approached the stage. I wouldn't say that I'm like Milton in remaining aloof of drama--and, let's be honest: His Comus is so far beyond anyone (save Shakespeare and some of his contemporaries) that it's really not much of a comparison. And maybe Milton knew something intuitively about Shakespeare that I could only discover by bashing my head against the form of the Bard's oeuvre: Shakespeare is too large to encapsulate. John Milton wrote a fawning poem about the Bard--it's from that poem that this series of posts gains its name--in which he considers how those of us who must use "long-endeavoring art" are awestruck at his ability to make his "easy numbers flow". There's an effortlessness that Shakespeare has that none else does. We're "made marble" at the Sweet Swan of Avon's incredible capacity to draft characters, plots, and inwardness. Even four hundred years down the road, no one can really approach human representation in the same way he does--especially an over-reaching aspirant in Utah Valley.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both