Skip to main content

Shakespeare: The Gap of Time

It took me months to read Shylock Is My Name. When I finally sat down and read another in the Hogarth Shakespeare series, The Gap of Time, I knocked it out in two days.

There were a couple of reasons for that. One, I started it on Thanksgiving, so I had time alone (recluse that I am, it isn't unusual for me to slip away at large family gatherings and keep my anxiety lower) to read it; and two, I am less familiar with The Winter's Tale from which the book is pulled, so the reading felt a little fresher.

But I'm not certain that's entirely the case, as I think about it. Perhaps it was the book was shorter, had more white space, or some other psychological trick. Additionally, the copy I purchased off of Amazon last year (instead of buying it, like a good boy, from the shelf of a bookstore--an independent one, if there were one close by) is actually an uncorrected proof (Not For Sale). This didn't really click in my head until I realized what I was holding: The other three titles of the Hogarth Shakespeare series are in hardback (with a price tag to match). This one was already in paperback? Then I realized that I had bought what I ought not to have: An ARC (Advance Reading Copy) of an ARC.

It showed. The table of contents has place holders for the pages of the different sections of the book. There were a lot of grammar errors--more than a book normally has. There were a couple of ***** spots (I'm not editing anything; that's what was on the page) and notes for continuity.

Part of the reason I liked reading this one, I believe, is because it felt a little like I was peeking behind the curtains of a professional writer, reading what I shouldn't have read, and enjoying the illicit (almost voyeuristic) thrill of it. This made me feel (a little) better about my own inadequacies as a writer. Though the phrase "Everyone feels that way" doesn't usually make me feel better, it is reassuring to know that even someone with the reputation and resume as Jeanette Winterson (whom I've never read before) has similar tricks as I do for getting through a draft.

And the book itself? Well, like Shylock Is My Name, there's a lot of ambiguity. It ends much "happier" than Jacobson's book. There's a lot more sex in it, but less self-loathing (note: not no self-loathing); more swearing, but less introspection. It doesn't put the Other into as uncomfortable a focus, though both have characters rife with casual antisemitism, which is alarming and probably true to life.

There are a couple of moments that are fourth-wall bending, though nothing on par with Jacobson's set up. Shakespeare is invoked a little more frequently, but never in a way that feels like a shoehorned approach. That is enjoyable--I don't know if I would have the restraint, were I to write a book like this, not to put in more direct call backs to the Bard. Indeed, every book I've written has something from him, a piece I've deliberately selected to include.* Sometimes I have to rely on verbiage that he's given us ("in a nutshell" or "foregone conclusion"), which I always write with a smug smirk on my smarmy face, knowing that most will read it as cliche while I mean it as allusion. But Winterson's prose takes a less open approach, which I liked.

I feel as though I understand the characters of the play having read this "cover story" of Shakespeare's work, and that's positive. Especially Winterson's ending, which stops a bit abruptly (I think it was a page thing; I needed more white space to know that we were shifting gears), I felt. But there's a postscript, as it were, that gives a fascinating approach to Shakespeare in general--and The Winter's Tale specifically--that I really enjoyed. It is the concept of forgiveness. Shakespeare spent his career crafting stories about people who would not forgive: Ambition, fear, vengeance, lust, or wounded pride all provided the fodder for their obstinacy. But by the end of his career, Winterson notes, Shakespeare begins to revisit older motifs and explores them with the concept of forgiveness. Maybe (and this is me talking) William Shakespeare had supped long enough on terrors and sought the balm that only forgiveness generates. Prospero has every right to despise his usurping brother, but he forgives. Hermione, by all rights, ought to reject Leontes for his barbaric treatment of her, but she chooses the harder path. And Cordelia? Born better than her father deserved, she died without rancor. These examples had never stood out to me until Winterson made that observation. Sadly, her characters don't go through the same metamorphosis that her analysis of Shakespeare does.

As with the other book in this series, Shakespeare did it better.

But that isn't why the novels were written. It isn't a competition, nor is it homage. It's an internalization of what Shakespeare put on stage, embracing the power and benefits of being written on the page. That should come as no surprise, I think. The surprise is, for me, how much this type of interpretation has pushed me in my own understanding of the source material. If, for no other reason than that, I plan on reading on.



---
* Since almost everything I write is fantasy, this can be a little tricky. I give him a direct shout out in a sci-fi book I wrote, and once I quoted him directly when a character was visiting a bizarre other-world. In one book, I took the idea of Jack Falstaff's original name, Oldcastle, and fused the names together, giving me Fulcastle.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow