Skip to main content

Shakespeare: Shylock Is My Name

I don't read a lot of mainstream fiction. If I'm not reading for school (classics of different stripes), Milton, or Shakespeare, I'm going to be spending my time and energy reading and writing fantasy novels. I dabble in science fiction when I get the itch, though a lot of that is better for mein the video game section.

But one thing that is a guaranteed "Shut up and take my money!" proposition is the Hogarth Press Shakespeare imprint and their plan to flood the world with modern novels that retell Shakespearean plays. I've already talked a bit about these books, but I finally finished the first one I've purchased, Shylock Is My Name, and I wanted to sound off on it for a little bit.

First of all, I have to give credit to Howard Jacobson. As I said, I don't read a lot of mainstream fiction, so it's unusual for me to get "writerly" prose out of what I read. With the exception, perhaps, of Patrick Rothfuss, fantasy as a genre isn't as concerned about the words-on-the-page, lyrical quality that writers bring to the craft. This isn't to say they don't write well, they just don't focus on the sentence level beauty as much. Sure, there are exceptions (I already mentioned one), but my experience has been that the language ought to be straightforward and clear--that it ought not to obfuscate the story in any way. There's nothing wrong with that, but since that's my default reading setup, it's a powerful change of pace to read a book by someone who obviously puts a lot of care into his sentences, dialogue, and descriptions. Jacobson writes powerful prose that is equal parts smooth and sharp, like glass. While I don't know that I love this style of writing, it is so different from what I usually take in, I can't help but appreciate it, if only for the variety alone.

Additionally, Jacobson--as all these authors who are participating in this project will have to do--is telling a story that we already know about (in this case, unsurprisingly, The Merchant of Venice) and is updating it. Shylock Is My Name has been moved out of Venice and into contemporary England, which means that it's going into a land that has had a long history of antisemitism but also a country and time set in a post-Holocaust world. These contradictory factors are one of many paradoxes that Jacobson explores--who is, himself, Jewish--and is one of the reasons for my reaction to the book.

So far as the story goes, it's fairly familiar: The stand-in characters all have fairly easy to recognize parallels from the play (Portia is Plurabelle, Antonio is D'Anton, Shylock is Strulovich) and they have motivations that are gleaned from the source material. What's strange, however, is the fact that this is not only a post-Holocaust world: It's also post-Shakespearean. The characters quote from the other plays, they mention the Bard in passing...and Shylock is a character of the book. Not a person named Shylock, but the actual character. Strulovich speaks with Shylock, referring to Shylock's history as understood within the play. Questions about how Shylock loved Leah (mentioned, but never seen, in the source material) and grew to hate Jessica (Shylock's daughter) aren't subtext--they're actual conversation pieces.

This is where I struggled with the book. It was part unintentional magical realism, with a splash of paranoia I get, having read Fight Club, that some pieces of the story aren't exactly as reported and that there's actually a hallucination of some sort going on. But, no, Shylock isn't imaginary. He's in Manchester and interacting with the other characters.

While Shylock dominates a play in which he only has five or so scenes, there are a lot of other pieces that Shakespeare seems interested in pursuing that Jacobson (a Shakespearean scholar himself) doesn't. That's fine--honing in on a particular theme, motif, or concept is one of the reasons that we find Shakespeare so endlessly fascinating--but the angle of approach is unfamiliar to me. I'm not well versed in Jewish writing--aside from the Bible, I guess--and though I know a bit about Jewish history, there's enough cultural static between the Jewish lifestyle and my own that I could only empathize with what Strulovich struggled.

There's also a great deal of identity crises throughout the piece, as well as a hefty helping of self-loathing. I should have been able to fully identify with that aspect of the novel, but even for me, a Mormon, I found it a bit much.

In the end, with some beautiful analyses and thoughts added in, I end up feeling a little confused. That's a great way to end any reaction to The Merchant of Venice, because there are things that a modern reader simply can't access in the way it was originally received. Still, it's hard to be enthusiastic about a story that leaves you a little hollow. But, then again, there's a cost to being Jewish in the modern world, and that hollow cost can be simultaneously the way in which you identify yourself and reject any easy identification. The difficulty of being an inheritor of victimization, identified only as victim, and yet also knowing that sympathies run out are strong, underlying threads throughout Jacobson's work. I appreciate that take on a world that I don't know (I'm not rich enough to identify with the hedonists that otherwise populate the pages, nor Jewish in any degree to know what it is to carry a tradition* that stretches back into the dusty beginnings of Western history), but I fear that, in the end, I was left in the cold.

And maybe that was the whole point.

---
* Yes, I'm part of a Mormon tradition, but it is nascent. I don't know if I'm generous enough to even allow that Mormon tradition is genuinely Christian tradition, feeling to me like an amalgamation of Christian pieces taken a la carte rather than through inheritance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow