Skip to main content

Writing Log 12-17-11

Quick report today, as there's a signing that Brandon Sanderson's doing at Barnes and Noble nearby that I wanted to go to.

Anyway, today was only 3,400 words, which is about average, though I've been so productive with some of the past few weeks that it actually feels a little shallow. Fortunately, I'm wearing my new writing shirt that I got from my writing group. See?

So that makes me remember that 3,400 words ain't that shabby. I don't know why the shirt reminds me of that, but it does.

Anyway, the exciting thing about the whole day was that I took the current problem that they're dealing with and put the conversation in a different character's point of view. (This is chapter 60 in the first draft.) See, I was listening to one of my earlier books on my Kindle, Words of the Silenced, and I realized that I had done something in the neighborhood of 7 straight chapters of pretty much just dialogue. There was action--the characters did things and the plot moved forward--but it felt a little hollow. Well, not hollow, but formulaic. I don't know how to fix that part of the story and still preserve all the complexity, but I'm trying to get away from so much exposition in the dialogue in Writ in Blood. Unfortunately, that's not happening in the first draft.

Because of this reluctance to have so much exposed in the dialogue, I decided to shift the point of view character from the one who's in peril and push it onto those who are supposed to try to save him. By doing that, I allow a little bit of action, as well as a little bit of tension--are they going to get caught spying on the bad guy as he monologues? Will they be able to save the imperiled character? Hopefully, the reader will ask those questions as the chapter rolls by, pulling them along. I also managed to weave in the bad guy's reasons for doing everything bad ('cuz that's what bad guys do) in a natural way that didn't sound forced. To me, at least.

The other really positive thing that this did, is it allowed me to have Saldrae be in a mild 'action sequence' and still be really proactive and helpful and not just a damsel in distress. It's important for me to consciously think of how Saldrae acts, how she's likely to respond, and how I can have her be a strong female character without resorting to Waif-Fu or other similar tropes/cliches. Saldrae, in fact, is one of the main focuses of my attempt to write better. I really like female characters in the lead (because we don't get that enough), but there's always a concern about how well it actually comes across, since we're lead to think that only through violence can a character be strong. I'm trying to explore alternatives to that, and, since Saldrae's actually in peril, I had to ask myself how she can be something other than a damsel in distress and still be strong without her totally kicking butt and taking names. In the end, she does something pragmatic (hit the guy in the groin along with some other things)--which makes perfect sense. It's also an interesting counterpoint to what she did the last time she was under direct attack, when she basically curled into a ball and hid herself.

I think she's coming along pretty darn well.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both