Skip to main content

Writing Log 12-22-11

I'll be brief today: It was 'productive' in that I produced almost 3,100 words. It was a chapter that I am extremely disappointed in, and it marks the crucial juncture of having run out of track that I lay in front of the oncoming train and the oncoming train catching up to me. I have no idea where to go from here, and the conversation that my characters just went through for the last 3k words is not that worthwhile.

This happens to me frequently. I remember this occurring during Words of the Silenced when I sent the main character down south to investigate the scene of the regicide. It sidetracked by about, oh, six chapters I think, before I pulled it back and reasserted it. Then, in the second draft, I further axed the scene, shifting it from the south to the east and modifying other aspects as I went along. The current version definitely works better, though there are still some glaring issues with that book, few of which have to do with what I'm talking about here. Also, in my last book, Tales of the Flame, I derailed and stumbled onward until I just ended the book out of pure irritation. The derailment didn't ever actually get fixed, though; I just plugged on through the train wreck that book became, learning a lot about how I write.

Now, it seems, I've hit that spot. That I'm 62 chapters deep before it occurred is a sign of improvement, methinks. Still, it's time for me to stop worrying on forward progression until I know where I'm headed. Because of the magnanimity of my mother-in-law, I got to come down to UVU today and slap together this chapter. I won't get another chance to write between now and post-Christmas week, so that should be enough time to really put my head around the issue. It's very, very likely that this version of Chapter 62 will be scrapped almost entirely and that I'll put in something completely different. This is frustrating because it feels like today was a bit of a waste, and that only makes me feel guilty that I dropped the boys off at grandma's only to have poop as a result.

That might be a little too harsh; I don't think the chapter is complete crap, but it is more of a purging of my system that I wasn't expecting to do. This is a necessary but frustrating part of writing. If I don't have enough time to recharge my creative juices, I often evacuate less worthwhile thoughts and chapters. To try to avoid this in the future, I've decided on a special schedule. (This is, like, my super secret dream that nobody knows about...which is why I'm writing it on the Internet--the least likely place it'll be read.)

If I were a full-time writer, I would have to have a rigorous five- or six-day schedule. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I would try to write a section--main chapter, flashback, or interlude. Then, on the off days, I would have to put one or two hours into rereading past stuff, fixing it up, and doing general editing. The idea would be that, by not pushing out words every day, I'd still have a little bit of quality in me that could be tapped.

See, I think of my creativity as being battery-like, one that builds up. The longer I go without an outlet, the stronger the charge is when it's finally released (usually). But, if I'm always trying to create things, my muse isn't trained to release frequently. Instead, it gives me half-hearted attempts and boring, low-quality type of writing. So if I could write three times a week--and do my typical output of 2,500-4,000 words on each one--I would be able to get easily a 350,000 word book out every year. (By the way, a 350k book would be closing in on 900 to 1,000 pages, depending on the formatting. I doubt I'd actually write that big.) Or, separately, put out two or three smaller books per annum. That would be crazy cool.

As it stands, I've been working on Writ in Blood since January of 2010--coming up on the two year anniversary. I feel like I have a lot to show for it since I started, which is what makes days like today so frustrating. I know that I can write better than this, but I'm afraid of losing a single day of writing. Even when it's crappy, I still push on, figuring that I'll fix it in editing. But if I weren't so afraid of losing a day of new writing, I would be able to go back and start editing the other chapters, thus allowing my mind to clear a little bit and get me primed for another go. But there's something in me that just recoils at doing an improper job, something that I have to overcome if I really am going to ever be serious about writing: Outputting because that's what I have to do. I even know what I'm going to do for the interlude that would fit in nicely into Chapter 62, and I don't even want to start it. It's just...bleck. I figure I'll mess it up if I try, so may as well wait until next week...or, if it so happens, next year.

We'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both