Skip to main content

Writing Log 12-28-11

I wrote unexpectedly today, which is always nice when it happens. I have to admit, though, I would've preferred my typical routine to what I went through today. Because of scheduling hiccups, car troubles, and holiday hours at UVU library, I ended up doing my writing at the in-laws' house.

Normally, I really enjoy being with my in-laws. They're incredibly supportive of me and mine, and my mother-in-law's a great cook to boot. But writing with the little boys scampering about is, generally, a losing proposition. Mix into that hectic mix trips down to the dealership (car troubles), skipping lunch (scheduling hiccups), and an overall difficulty in keeping my quiet corner quiet (holiday hour lamentations), it's a small miracle I produced as much as I did.

Today, instead of progressing the story forward--which, after pausing over the Christmas weekend, now has a bit of direction--I decided to move back to the approximate middle of the story and give some extra detail, things that I had before simply thrown in as exposition. Stepping back gave me one little gem that I hadn't anticipated: I figured out one of the things that never made sense to me. In the story, Nicomachus helps another character with his life goal. It, frankly, didn't make sense. How could this young kid (in his twenties at the time) 'pull in favors' to help out this other character? It hadn't been directly broached in the course of the story, so I just let it sit in the back of my mind. As a result, my inner storyteller managed to concoct a way of putting it together plausibly.

This happens to me as I write. There's a glaring problem with the story--a plot hole big enough to drive Optimus Prime through--and I don't know how to fix it. Obviously, rewriting will be an issue, but how much? Often there's a plot-dependent element to the gap (which is why it ends up in the story in the first place), so I can't just excise the problem piece like a tumor. It usually has to stay in. But, given 1) awareness of the problem and 2) time to think on it, I usually get something put together.

The best example of this that I can think of (outside of today's work) was during The Terra Campaign: Impetus, the first book I wrote after coming home from my mission. I had this character, Leife, who was supposed to befriend Christie and Samden, the two main characters. Originally, he just joined up because he was bored and wanted to see what these two would do. But he gets put into some dangerous situations pretty quickly. I asked myself, why would he stick with them? Why would he bother? One day, on the way home from some classes in the Education Building on UVU campus, I realized that I needed Leife to be imperiled before he meets the protagonist. So, in my head (as I don't think I ever got to the redrafting of this particular scene), I had him become indebted to the two. Rather than happening upon them and saying, "Let's go on an adventure--unless I get an arrow to the knee," I had Leife be trapped by some jackal-dogs who were about to eat him. With the help of Samden and Christie, Leife is saved and, as a matter of personal honor, begins to accompany them until he's paid off the debt.

It sounds kind of trite when I phrase it like that, but it's an example of how my mind will sometimes work out problems just by letting them percolate in the back of my muse somewhere.

Anyway, 3700 words down. I have fewer than 20,000 words to go to make my goal by April's end. I think I'll be able to do it!
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both