Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part V): Shax is Shax, Okay?

Attendant to being an English major is the assumption that you have to like William Shakespeare's stuff. It draws an interesting line of conformity: you can be counter-culture conveniently by disliking the Bard or you can be part of the establishment and, like a tool, enjoy his works. (There is a third option, one of liking the works but distrusting the source, but this isn't where antistratfordianism really came into my perception.)
I think this assumption is fair, though perhaps over-worked. In my (limited) experience, Shakespeare didn't infuse a lot of my courses, which were, for the most part, concerned with other avenues of literature. I don't remember him creeping into conversations, being used as a comparison to other texts, or passing by, like streak of light, to illuminate other texts. Even my British Lit classes (easily my preferred courses; American literature tends to leave me a little cold) skirted about him. I think this was done as deference to their colleagues who had the opportunity of teaching his stuff in an exclusive class, though it's really just a guess.
 I signed up for Professor Rasmussen's class one semester. It was a spring class, which was nice because the weather was on the up-tick and the days were getting longer. Living, as we did, in a basement apartment, it was nice to have the extra light. By it I would struggle to comprehend the texts that were assigned.
Looking back, our professor had a rather laissez-faire approach to the class, which would have bothered me more if I'd been then what I am now. It wasn't a bad class, and I do have fond memories of it. But I would have wanted something from a studied source--access to his greater trove of knowledge. As it was, we were asked to provide interpretive lenses on some of the plays and facilitate class discussions. Mine was deconstruction applied to Othello, which was made more difficult by the fact that my partner wasn't familiar with critical theory yet, so she really struggled to pull the presentation off. As it was, the professor wasn't there that day anyway: It was the department head who covered for him, so we did just fine for our project.
For whatever reason, the class--which only had about twelve or thirteen of us--was heavily gender-imbalanced, with only two males and the rest females. This wasn't really a problem, but it was an interesting inversion on how Shakespeare would've been read in his day--by males only, in a theater company, and only with cue scripts.
We've come a long way.
Most of the time was actually spent in rehearsals. In typical Shakespearean fashion, we were all actors and directors in a brief scene. Ours was the last act and scene of A Midsummer Night's Dream, and, as the only male on the team, I played the part of the cross-dressing Flute as Thisbe. Because of course.
I have a hard time memorizing things, for the most part. (Fortunately, not student names, but almost anything else I do, yeah, it's a bit of a problem.) I distinctly remember having my wife prompt me as I tried to get the absurdity of the mechanicals into my brain. We were in a basement apartment at the time. I can still see the sunlight of the early afternoon tilting into the beige carpet as I tried to con the lines through sheer, stubborn will.
When the day of performance arrived, I had purposefully neglected to shave for two or three days before, giving me a scruffy look to go along with the wig, sock-generated bust, and denim skirt (borrowed from Gayle). I spoke in a shrill falsetto and barely flubbed my lines. The girls I studied with were a lot of fun, worked just as hard as I, and did a great performance for a bunch of undergrads with almost no theatre training.
In order to 'research' the play, I checked out a copy of the Kevin Kline version (which is funny, since it's directed by Michael Hoffman but always referred to by the actor who played Bottom). I remember liking it, for the most part, though the bit about Bottom's wife was confusing to me. I had yet to learn how adaptations reinterpret the text, so the artistic license that has to be applied to keep Shakespeare fresh for the current generation to care took me by surprise. Still, it was a worthwhile romp and one of many film adaptations that I've seen in the intervening years.
I had to give another lesson on one of the plays that we were studying--really an outsourcing of the course, now that I look back at it--and it just so happened that it was on Hamlet. I used the professor's copy of The Simpsons episode in which they parodied the play, with Bart as the eponymous character, Moe as the murderous Claudius, and "Rosenkarl and Guildenlenny" as the devious former-friends. I led a discussion on it, we laughed a little, and that was that.
The professor did manage to put some ideas in my head that have stuck. One was the ubiquity of Shakespeare, particularly Hamlet. He said that someone somewhere, every day, was putting on, studying, or filming the play. At first I was dubious, but after having taught it for the last six years, I tend to agree with him.
Certainly one of the salient points of the class came in the large form of the then-head of the department. I can't remember the professor's name--it's available, I just don't care to find it--but I already had a beef with her. She taught my Science Fiction course during my freshmen year and her particular critiques of my writing weren't much appreciated it. In retrospect, I shouldn't have disliked her so much. It was important that someone finally tell me that my first drafts weren't always incredible, which was the message I got in high school. Truly, thinking back on that story, it was weird for weirdness' sake and not that worthwhile. However, I did think it unfair that she marked me down for describing a character as being one who "hid behind her knees". I feel that's a pretty good phrase; she thought it was unclear.
Apparently, her critique has stuck with me. This isn't even the first time that I've mentioned it on my blog.
Anyway, because of her treatment (again, fairly accurate, with that one exception), I had a severe case of anxiety when it came to my writing. Months passed without being confident in myself enough to try actually putting words on the page again. It shook me, so it's little wonder I didn't have much generosity in my heart for her the day that she substituted the class.
It was actually the day when I was supposed to give my presentation on Othello by using a deconstructive lens as my guide. Before I began, the professor gave her own spiel about the least exciting aspect of Shakespearean studies: The authorship question.
Now, the amount of ink that's been spilled pursuing this hogwash is embarrassing. Sundry claims stemming off of one fundamental fallacy have wasted more time than is probably healthy to admit. I have put some time into studying the case, and it's very much one of those that, with a straight dose of Occam's Razor and a little common sense, you can see that evidence points most directly to the glover's son being the writer after all.

(For the record, a lot of my thinking on this has come from James Shapiro's book, Contested Will, which backs up a lot of prior research I've done, along with providing a crucial explanation of whence the fascination comes in authorial credit. If you've any interest in the authorship question, I encourage you to peruse his book first--then you won't have to read any others, because it'll cease to be a credible approach to understanding the question.)
See, there's an impulse of modern readers to assume that because a writer has conceived something in his or her head, he or she must have some sort of lived experience with the thought. Most people would argue that's absurd when phrased that way, but that's the essence of the authorship question: Events in the plays must mirror the lived experiences of the Bard.
But it quickly becomes a matter of the trickiest hermeneutics. How much of a single play is pertinent to painting a picture of the artist and how much is added as dramatic embellishment? How can you tell if Hamlet's killing of Polonius is included as an allusion to Edward de Vere's own arras-involved stabbing or simply a necessary plot point to show the Prince of Denmark's unhinged state as he "swoops to [his] revenge"? (Yes, that is one of the arguments: Edward de Vere, the 17th Earl of Oxford, stabbed a servant who was behind a curtain.) Are the plays autobiography? Or are they inspired by true, current events? Or are they coincidentally similar to the lives of contemporaries? Or are they dramatic art, devised without reference to the external world?
The pieces are intriguing, of that there's no doubt. I mean, they've so entranced avid Bardophiles for the last two centuries that even Supreme Court justices have "converted" to Oxfordians and disdained the name of "Shak-spear". There's mystique, there's the natural allure of the Elizabethan era (forgetting, as we often do, that it's also Jacobean era, which puts a mighty pall on, at least, de Vere's running, as he was dead before the later plays were penned), and more than a faint whiff of conspiracy. For those who refuse to believe in coincidences, it all makes too much sense.
But the posits of the antistratfordians only have superficial spots of similarities. Certainly, you can list some of the events of de Vere's life and see parallels between his and Hamlet's. But why pick just Hamlet? What about Prospero, the island dwelling mage of The Tempest? Couldn't you argue that Prospero is Shakespeare, saying goodbye (seven or eight years after de Vere's death) to the stage with his valedictions in that play?
You could, because--like the Hamlet/de Vere case--there's a superficial similarity between what's assumed of a real life and what's visible in the characters. See, the fundamental assumption is that there is something in the plays that specifically speaks about the man. But what one reads is always what one wants to see. That's the incredible power of Shakespeare.
I listened to a talk by Arthur King, the LDS Church's leading interpreter of literature during the mid-twentieth century. He dismissed some people's readings of Shakespeare because they "wanted to see" the nihilism or the perversion or whatever it was he, King, disdained. He then forwarded his own reading of Shakespeare as a proto-Mormon.
The lasting effect of this on me was the idea of autoterritorialization when it comes to Shakespeare. His works, in an almost literal sense, "hold the mirror up to nature" and force us to confront our own assumptions and expectations. As a result, the plays are as clay, capable of being molded to one concept or another. The peril of this is that the histories of the men (or women) who could be associated with the plays in lieu of William himself are wrought in stone. So it makes sense that the mercurial plays can be forced into the gaps of the stone.
For every antistratfordian proof in poem or play of the preferred alternative, there can be one used for the stratfordian case where an aspect reflects a known fact about Shakespeare's life or a presumed inference based upon other records. So why favor one reading over one?
Well, that boils down to Occam's Razor, which urges us to consider that the simplest explanation is most likely. Either a genius was born in a market town to a glover who could apprehend much of human kind, reflect in his art what he'd absorbed, and weave words into new wefts, or some vast conspiracy--devised due to court intrigue, espionage, or professional jealousy--is at work that has hoodwinked two centuries of history into believing a lie.
One is more probable; the other is a better Hollywood movie. (Although, to be honest, the fanciful rendition of a love-smitten Shakespeare in Shakespeare in Love was much more enjoyable than the morose weasel in Anonymous. Hollywood can't handle the Bard well, either.)
If we assume that there's something to be learned about the inward man--some sort of confession that his poetry (in particular) or plays (in general) is saying--then there's plenty of room for doubt. While the thoughts of Shakespeare are definitely expressed via his characters, it's impossible to know if the thoughts were an expression of them or of him.
Those who don't write or somehow generate characters have a difficult time understanding this, I think. (Yes, that's an artistic snub at the academy mentality.) If I have a character behave in a particular way in my story, it's obviously something I thought of, considered, wrote, and revised. So therefore it's something I think.
But there's a large difference between what I think and feel and what my character thinks and feels. It's not too far off from having a split personality and being held accountable for my life's details inside of the artificial personality.
While authors always include personal details--including, I'm certain, Shakespeare--it's fallacious to assume that he left clues to decipher within the text. How are we to know what he wrote in, say, the Sonnets reflects him and not his patron's desires? Since all we have in terms of documentation is external to him--he left behind no journals, no diaries, no personal papers save his will--we have to be exceedingly careful in how we superimpose text-to-life.
I think the largest assumption that makes me disagree with my erstwhile professor is the idea of conspiracy running rife throughout. I mentioned before that I believe in coincidences--because, let's be honest, sometimes you bump into a high school friend and it does nothing except surprise you--and this is a prime example of the utility of that pragmatic approach to the authorship question. Are there gaps and holes in the 'narrative' of Shakespeare as the author? Certainly. They're well-rehearsed (and used as evidence, which is shoddy research at best and deceitful at worst) and unconvincing. Not having the explanation is not the same as having no explanation.
When it comes to our desire to turn real life into real narrative, we bump against this problem. It is our desire to make things fit, to make them sensical. But that isn't how life is. Sometimes the phrase, "Because reasons" is as close as we get to how things really are. When a person insists that de Vere or Bacon or Elizabeth or Marlowe or some other Lord Baron Sir Bollerbatch Esquire or whoever is the alternative du jour, the basic question always comes up the same: Why? Why would there be a need for the deception?
Christopher Marlowe (not Lord Baron Sir Bollerbatch Esquire) 
Often the answer comes in about the theater's unsavory reputation in Elizabethan times (true; however, Shakespeare's career also spanned through the much more accepting Jacobean court, which somehow people often overlook). But the question of why can also be tightened: Why so long to discover this? To what end is the conspiracy? I mean, if we're talking UFOs and nationwide security and global implications, I can see where conspiracies could certainly make a touch more sense. But some random earl and a mediocre actor? Seriously?

Anonymous proves this point better than my arguments can. Go watch it. You will be wrapped up in the brilliant and detailed costuming and the multifaceted nuances of the intrigues of the Elizabethan court. It's thrilling. Then, for some random reason, we get this bumbling actor coming in and ham-fisted groanings about writing in iambic pentameter and suddenly the whole thing turns farcical. The pretense of importance gets lost when a man who writes bawdy jokes about venereal diseases and facial boils is pulled into the narrative. The Showtime series The Tudors shows how much drama is inherent in this general area of English history. Anonymous shows how absurd it is to assume a playwright--even one as capable as Shakespeare, whose importance to the world will only be discovered in subsequent generations--somehow actively contributed to the larger political world. Could drama make a difference? Yes, of course. We know about Essex's rebellion and how Richard II (not Richard III, as is depicted in the film) are correlated. And we know Elizabeth's regal response to the rebellion ("Know ye not I am Richard II?"). We know that modern day films and documentaries can incite change in a system. But it's foolish to think that someone as important as, say, Edward de Vere would risk the very real political power he had for the paltry power of the playhouse. It just seems so...preposterous--and pretentious to boot. The only way that it works at all is if there's conspiracy--and that's the same way of solving a narrative riddle as giving Superman the ability to turn back time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both