Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part VIII): Students and Shakespeare

The turbulent time of 2006-07 included losing a child to a miscarriage, expecting another child a couple of months later, then learning that the new child had a potentially fatal heart defect. I was in my senior year at college and had too much going on as it was, yet I had to soldier on. January 2007 saw me in the classrooms of my youth, student teaching with two of the people who inspired me to be a teacher in the first place.
When I first sat down with Greg Park to take over his sophomore English class, he pointed out the areas that were tied up with his requirements (book reports, standardized testing, and so on), then gestured to one block of time in the middle of the quarter. "You can do whatever you want here," he said. "Writing unit, another book. Whatever you want."
"Do you have copies of Shakespeare?" I asked with (probably too much) enthusiasm.
"Let's go look." He didn't sound thrilled, but took me anyway to where the book closet was, a room set off from the main English hallway. Inside were shelves stacked with well-worn paperbacks of classroom sets of all types. Steinbeck flirted with Cather while Hemingway and Wordsworth slummed about with Maya Angelou. There, stacked in eye-widening pillars, were abundant copies of plays. Running my eyes down the available quantities, I realized that The Merchant of Venice would be my go-to piece. Having just watched it a couple of months before in Cedar City, I felt it within my grasp. While I don't know if Park had misgivings or disdain (probably the latter), I had his tentative support to go ahead--so I did.
The students got to know me pretty quickly, and I had them do a number of assignments that I can't remember now. While scrounging around in the library at Timpanogos High School, I found an hour-long biography film on Shakespeare. After previewing it at home, I went ahead and used it to introduce the students to William Shakespeare. (Funnily enough, I still use that film in my classroom, even though it's mediocre at best. Then I couldn't know--though now I do--the many different ways that one can approach a biography of the Bard. There are some poorly chosen speeches and poems that they share with stuffy bombast, and the scholars all speak in round, British, academic tones that lack the kind of passion that I'd want, but it fits nicely into the class period that I have set aside for it.)
To go along with the documentary, I asked the students to write down a couple of facts from each segment that they found interesting, then do a journal write on the best one. Back then, I actually read what my students wrote, so I happened upon this treasure (all the spelling and punctuation carried over from the original):
What’s up with Shakespeare?
I think he might have been a weird man. I didn’t know he was gay or bi-sexual. GROWS!!!! He is good at writing and all that because he is known throughout the world. So he has to be good. I dont really know him that well. But since I have learned a little bit about him. He seems weird because the first thing I learn is that he is gay. Not a very good start to learn I just hate gay people I think there disgusting.
I was a little disturbed at the homophobia at the time (it bothers me much more now), but I was flabbergasted at the horrible spelling and punctuation.
Priorities change, I guess.
Anyway, I went on going through the same student's journal and found this final thought on the Shakespeare unit, after we'd gone through the entire play and discussed some of the nuances of the behavior of the Jews and Christians.
Where is the line [on treating others poorly]?
Where is the line? When it comes to people thinking they are all that and nobody can touch them. Then that can cause some mixed feelings towards others. Acting in certain ways that will affend someone I think that is crossing the line. Because your messing with one elses emotions and you can hurt them really bad. Also people who judge I think are the worst people in this world. Because I think if you judge your crossing the line.
I can't help but shiver at the irony. It's rare that we get such  patent intellectual dissonance. While the student hadn't impressed me with his ability to think or express himself much before, this really surprised me. Perhaps I should look at it as an indication of growth on the part of the student, that he's slowly opening up his mind to being non-judgmental. Perhaps I should have some hope that Shakespeare actually ended up expanding his world view and he became a better person as a result. After all, that's what makes Shakespeare so powerful in the first place. Maybe that student has gone on to recognize that the "Hath not a Jew eyes...?" speech is about everyone who's marginalized, not just the visible ones.
Maybe.
Perhaps.
I kind of doubt it.
The class actually went well. I found an exceedingly poor film version that cut the (already rather short) play down which I used to illustrate what they'd read about in the text. I had them illustrate their own characters, so that when we were discussing one, we'd have a drawing on the board. (That led to some very bizarre looking iterations, I have to be honest.) I asked them to memorize one of the two famous speeches from the play ("Hath not a Jew eyes...?" and "The quality of mercy is not strained"). I talked enthusiastically about my own experience in Cedar City the year before, how great Shakespeare was as a writer and his inexhaustible ability to weave wonder out of words. I strutted and fretted over the little unit, answering questions as best I could (still kicking myself that I couldn't answer what "halter gratis" meant from the trial scene of the play) and generally giving the most positive experience I could muster for those students.
I have no idea if I was successful.
Soon after the term ended, my time as a student-teacher did as well, and, despite doing my best to make a positive impression on the department and administration, I was not offered the job opening that the school had for the next year.

Like a candle snuffed, my career seemed extinguished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both