Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part VII): Of Shylock

I became significantly more interested in reading Shakespeare during summer 2006. I'm not entirely certain what I was able to read, but I generally would knock out an act or two each Sunday before I would get knocked out myself, snoozing with my head cricked against the wing of my armchair.
My biggest difficulty was deciding which text to pursue. The familiar ones I could more easily follow, but I wanted exposure to others that I didn't read as often. With my birthday-given copy numbing my lap, I would take certain steps before starting a play. I would copy down each character from the dramatis personae on a yellow sticky-note and use that as my bookmark. I would try to paint the image of the Cedar City stage in my mind for the characters to enact. I would sleep whenever the need hit me, since pushing through Shakespeare while drowsy never yields beneficial results.
The fall of '06 came around and my wife and I decided to take our anniversary in Cedar City and Manti, Utah. After a miscarriage, my wife was again expecting and, like all of her pregnancies, it was a nauseating affair. She had to eat constantly to keep the bile at bay, which made the attendance of a play a tricky affair. During the intermission, we had to slide out to the car to get a Nutri-Grain bar to keep her stomach settled. We almost missed the beginning of the second act as a result.
We attended The Merchant of Venice and, having learned our lesson  from Hamlet, paid for tickets on a wing but in the front. My in-laws, on our recommendation, had been down the previous week to see the same play and had thoroughly enjoyed it, so I went in anticipating a great performance.
I wasn't disappointed. The characters of Morocco and Aragon still stand out in my mind, while the Portia they cast walked a line of compassion and ruthlessness that softened the rougher edges of the woman. Bassanio was attractive enough, and Antonio carried himself with the appropriate air of sanctimony and martyrdom. But, as is always the case with Merchant, Shylock stole the play.
Despite the fact he's only in five of the scenes, he entirely composes the play, and what's always striking is that the fifth act is bereft of any appearance of the Jew. It makes the ending seem hollow, as the most intriguing character doesn't resurface in the text. Yet, despite that flaw, Merchant is one of my favorite comedies.
This particular production, however, had a fascinating premise. While the stage was deliberately minimalist, the beginning of the performance had the actors coming on stage and getting into costume in front of the audience. Pulling on hats, coats, and boots, the characters acted as though they were chatting as they prepared for the story they were about to tell, with Shylock putting on his gabardine and beard and yarmulke. His smiles with his fellow coworkers disappeared as he put the clothing on. They then launched into the play.
As the lovers all exited from the stage at the end of Act V, Shylock, dressed still in his religious garb, entered by himself. He opened the trunk in which his costume was kept and, tears running down his face, he took off his costume--and his yarmulke--and threw them into the trunk. As the lid slammed, the lights turned off, perfectly timed. The realization of what the Christians had done echoed through the theater.
I was floored.
The amount of complexity that Shylock showed by this simple addition truly broadened my understanding of the consequence of the play.
With the matinee over, we headed toward Manti, a two-hour journey. We got there unscathed, despite nearly being creamed by a FedEx truck that lost control of its brakes for a while.

In my baggage was another Harold Bloom book, the pretentious but delightful Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human. I read over his thoughts on The Merchant of Venice and, while I didn't agree with all he believed, I enjoyed seeing another point of view on Shakespeare's works. Gayle, always game to listen to me ramble aloud, had her own additions that we considered, too, of course, but neither of us had any real expertise on the matter. With Bloom in my bag, I could turn to a true Shakespearean savant whenever the mood suited me. I began to read a play, then read Bloom immediately upon finishing, which certainly warped the way I consider Shakespeare even to this day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both