Skip to main content

Finding Parallels

One of the things that surprised me was, when I finally got around to reading the entire Divine Comedy, I really enjoyed the concept of Purgatory. I'm not saying that I would personally like to visit the place (having my eyes sewn shut like the Envious do doesn't appeal to me.) I'm saying the concept of Purgatory, as Dante defines it, is really neat.

As a Mormon, I read with a Mormon lens as my default position. (I also try to make feminism my default lens, which can make for some....interesting connections.) One of the thorny questions that Dante--and, I think, many theologians--faces is the idea of what to do for those who had no idea about Jesus, baptism, or saving ordinances. If, for example, baptism is an essential action, then those without it are, unequivocally, damned.

Dante tries to temper this a little by putting unbaptized, "virtuous pagans" and similar types in the first circle of Hell. It's not very deep, and, frankly, the place is pretty nice. But it's still Hell--the souls aren't with God and, rolling green hills and babbling brooks aside, they are damned. It's a harsh truth of God's justice, Dante seems to say, but it's there.

Mormon doctrine gives a little more leeway than that, and the way that's accomplished is via vicarious ordinances in LDS temples. Thus by proxy a deceased soul can be baptized. Through the actions of the living, postmortem salvation is possible.

And that's what resonates with me about Dante's Purgatory. In The Purgatorio, the souls are already baptized, but they aren't heaven-worthy. They must spend a portion of their afterlife climbing up Mount Purgatory, having their sins purged away. This allows for those who were good Christians, but messed up along the way, to still have a chance at redemption.

What I really like, though, is the idea that those who remain behind--the friends, family, and neighbors of the deceased--can, with their prayers and masses, accelerate the rising of the soul through Purgatory. Thus by piety a deceased soul can attain a postmortem salvation.

There are particular differences between Mormonism and Catholicism (obviously), and the doctrines don't perfectly parallel, but it's always neat to see some of yourself in works that might not normally appear to be directed straight to you. Finding threads of commonality between brothers and sisters is part of why I love literature so much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both