Skip to main content

Good Grief

I suffer from depression.

It took me a long time to self-diagnose that fact, but a lot of what I've read about what other people suffer is there, sitting inside of me. Hamlet's speech "...I have of late, but wherefore I know not..." is one of the greatest descriptions of what it's like to deal with depression that I've ever seen, and is likely one of the reasons that I have long held Hamlet in my heart.

When considering the possibility of treatment--whether it be therapy or medication--I've always been reluctant to commit to anything. Part of it is pride: I want to be able to deal with my difficulties myself. Part of it is ignorance: I don't know what it entails, I don't know if my insurance covers anything (probably not), I don't know how I'll fit fixing me into my schedule. Part of it is fear: I don't know if I can call myself me if I change a piece of me that I dislike.

But isn't that the whole point of personal improvement? To change things you don't like? I didn't like feeling as though I didn't help out enough around the house, so I've taken to doing the dishes. I've started cooking lessons so that I'm not an incompetent boob when it comes to preparing food. I shave and brush my teeth because I look and feel better (I think) when I do that. I extract what I dislike in an attempt to improve.

So why don't I want to do that with my mental illness?

Fear is a bigger factor than I may have let on: I am a writer (though I feel audacious and impostor-syndrome when I say that), but I don't know whence my writing comes. Sure, as a card-carrying Mormon I can say God and even believe that, but saying a source outside of me is not what I'm asking in the first place, so that answer satisfies nothing.

Somewhere inside my broken head--whether it be because of cosmic randomness and the perpetuity of life or because of Divine placement--I have an ability to write. My great fear is that I suffer from a stereotype of artistic curse: Talent for art, but an imbalance that empowers it. While I am confident in that I'm no writing genius, I am not confident that what middling talent I have comes from a place that isn't wrapped in the dark places of my mind.

I know that getting sleep helps me to avoid major depressive episodes, but it's by no means a guarantee. This summer has been filled with sleep--I have the records from my smartwatch to show that much--but the additional stresses of the season and the move have weighed down on me. In fact, I almost broke down into tears the other day when I listened to "Wait For It" from the Hamilton soundtrack.

This is a strange thing for me. First of all, I get mopey, angry (always angry), and frustrated, but I don't become weepy. That's not how my depression manifests. Secondly, I am not a Broadway person. I can count on one hand the number of musicals that I like enough to want to see them, so the fact that a hip-hopperetta about a Founding Father comes through as a powerful influence on my life is unusual.

So why did the song almost have me in tears? I don't know. I was sad. The song, which speaks about ambition, frustration, and fundamental issues of the human condition ("Life doesn't discriminate/Between the sinners and the saints/It takes, and it takes, and it takes, and it takes/And we keep living anyway"), and those things feel more open, more real when I'm in the dark days. But that's all autopsychoanalysis. I don't know anything.

But I wonder if the idea of "good" grief is what I'm most worried about losing. If my brain is missing a little chemical, but as a result I can create something (someday) powerful that touches people and gives a lasting impact on them, then maybe, in that sense, my grief is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both