Skip to main content

Reading is Hard

As an English teacher/major and long time bibliophile, it might be strange to hear that I think reading is hard. (So is writing. That's a post for a different day.) But, yeah, I do. There's a reason why books aren't the engine of pop-culture entertainment the way it was in some old-timey good ole days. By reducing the amount of time we have to spend on necessities, we open up that time for improving our pursuits of recreation. Diversification of entertainment and technological changes has pushed aside older modes of diversion.

In other words, there's too much cool stuff to do and not enough time to do it.

But books are hard to read, even if they are--pound for pound--one of the cheapest forms of paid entertainment around. I mean, how much does a movie ticket cost? Here in Utah, it's $12 or so. That's about $6 an hour for the story you're enjoying--passively, at a controlled, non-interactive speed. A book might cost you $7 and last for over twenty hours--or longer, depending on the length. That's a great ROI. Even videogames struggle to hit even a "one-hour-equals-one-dollar" level of equivalent exchange, though that is, in part, because they can hit at about $60 a pop. While it's not unusual for games to give you dozens of hours of gameplay, they don't normally give you that much narrative--that much story.

But why is reading hard? I think it's because it's unnatural. Sure, we've all been trained on how to do it since we were little kids, but the actual process of reading is immensely complicated. There are plenty of people who have done research and can describe what goes on in the mind, but simply looking at the basics, there's a lot that we have to do to make meaning. And if the meaning we're trying to create is abstract--books on philosophy, for example--it becomes even more difficult.

Take, for example, a randomly selected segment from Slavoj Zizek's book The Parallax View.
This also means that ontological difference is not "maximal", between all beings, the highest genus, and something else/more/beyond, but rather, "minimal", the bare minimum of a difference not between beings but between the minimum of an entity and the void, nothing.
Aside from missing context, just look at how many commas are there! How's anyone supposed to get any intellectual momentum when there are so many pauses? It's ridiculous.

I'm back in the school year, and my students and I are reading our excerpts of Dante's Divine Comedy, focusing on The Inferno right now. I'm enjoying it--as I always do--and am reading a new translation this year that I am enjoying a great deal more than some of the ones I've used in the past. But I was still looking at the bottom of the page to see how much further I had to go. Now, admittedly, there were a lot of things on my plate that I needed to do--lots of work for this evening--so I was trying to see how late I was going to be up. All that aside, I was struggling to read because it is a difficult thing to do.

The difficulty of reading, I think, is why people enjoy it, actually. Now, of course, there are additional aspects to this. Being in an immersive world, gaining insights into people in a way that only the novel can do, and other incentives surely bring people back to this centuries' old pastime. However, if I'm being honest, I'd have to say that part of why I like to read so much is because others choose not to make time for it. There's a smug satisfaction that I get by knowing that I have done what others only claim they wish they did ("I would love to read more, but I'm just so busy!"). Of course, that smugness is quickly tempered when I see what my friends at school read--and how much they read, and how frequently they finish their reading lists--but it gives me a little something.

Nevertheless, reading is a difficult process, one that doesn't necessarily grow easier with time. As additional responsibilities and pressures mount, it requires more effort to read anything.

And that's a shame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both