Skip to main content

A Novel Shakespeare

Last year, Hogarth Press announced that they had commissioned novels by top-tier writers that were retellings and reimaginings of Shakespeare's works. The titles usually don't invoke Shakespeare (which seems to be missing a crucial component of their marketing strategy), save for Howard Jacobson's Shylock Is My Name. The rest that are currently published (Gap of Time, Hag Seed, Vinegar Girl) don't indicate the source material.

I have purchased two of these, and aim to finish out the collection later today (we'll see how my schedule shakes out). In typical me-fashion, I have these books because I wants them (precious) and so I buys them. I haven't actually read either of the two I have, but I feel like I need to buy them (and, though it's costlier, I ought to buy them new) to support the market for books like this.

My biggest problem with them is that they're mostly mainstream fiction. I don't read a lot of mainstream fiction--I tend toward the fantastical and historical more than anything else. I read a handful of classics because it's part of my job (I'm thinking mostly of Les Miserables), and while I enjoy them immensely, I don't read modern day successes. I scored a copy of The Casual Vacancy for a dollar and, even though I love Rowling's fantasy series, I haven't even cracked the cover of her mainstream mystery. It isn't that I don't want to read it, it's that I'm busy reading other things...like a book about dinosaur knights (which are medieval-style knights who ride--surprise!--dinosaurs) or a million-word magical realism book by a comic book writer. (Which I'll blog about...if I ever finish it. The thing is huge.)

The premise for Hogarth Press' publications is pretty great: Shakespeare wrote great stories, so why not adapt those great stories deliberately and openly. Not in the She's the Man style, but make it overt? Again, the idea for this is great. It got me thinking: Considering how I tend to think fantastical, which story would I adapt if I were approached by them to make a novel around Shakespeare? I went first to The Tempest, since magic is kind of my bag, but then I saw Margaret Atwood was tackling that play, and I said, "Hahaha, lol, no."

My other interest often lies in space, so I thought about what a science-fiction Shakespeare would look like, especially if it wasn't like that graphic novel of Macbeth as a space opera. What story lends itself to a future world? And it took about three seconds to realize that A Comedy of Errors would be perfect. You have a mad scientist and her husband (I'd gender bend because it's the future, it's thoroughly Shakespearean, and I try to write women characters as often as possible) who have cloned their kid--and the first attempt at cloning--only to be attacked. Both parents flee with one of each of the clones, and, some twenty-five years later, the hilarity of mistaken identity ensues...but in outer space.

Since Comedy is taken from the old Roman play, The Menaechmi, it again fits into the Shakespearean tradition to retell a story from a source and society much older than one's own.

I tried a retelling last year for NaNoWriMo, setting Dante's Inferno on a colonized planet. There, the humans--mining for a precious resource--accidentally let loose a subterranean alien civilization that abducted the humans and dragged them into the bowels of the planet. Unwittingly, Dante (the main character) and his war-pal Virgil (I'm super creative about the names) end up working their way through a hellish night, trying to get to a communications tower so that they can let the authorities know what's happened. In the process, they descend lower and lower, meeting more aliens, more humans, and exposing more of their characters. By the end, they meet the "head alien" and have to shoot it a lot.

Anyway, it's a similar conceit to Dante's Divine Comedy, complete with the last word of the book being "stars", and a plan (but no desire) to follow up the Inferno-based story with one that follows Purgatorio and, at the end, Paradiso. So I've actually done a little bit of this sort of writing, though that isn't to say that I'm willing to dive into a Comedy of Quasar or anything like that soon.

Perhaps one day, though, I'll do something novel with Shakespeare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both