Skip to main content

The A-Train

I'm listening to the notes from Lin-Manuel Miranda about Hamilton. It's really enjoyable and frustrating at the same time, as he's reading his notes aloud. There isn't always context, since the note comes from a piece of the musical that he's talking about. Once, he said, "This can be applied to modern politics." What does this mean? No idea.

But Miranda is a really engaging, interesting, brilliant (and I mean that) person, so I don't want to stop listening to his thoughts, even though they're incomplete.

One of the things he talked about, though, was how a song came to him. He was riding through New York City (in a more detailed route than I'm going for here), taking the A-Train to get to a friend's birthday party. The train commute was long, so he was working on one of the songs that would wind up in Hamilton, only to be so taken in by the process of writing that he ended up only attending the party long enough to drink "half a beer" and then return home, composing on the train all the while.

He finished up with a thought (which I'm paraphrasing here, since I can't remember which song he was talking about), that music will take you where you need to go, if you let it.

I want to modify that a little: Art will take you where you need to go, if you let it.

I often think of Neil Gaiman's speech from a few years ago, and I think it fits in well with what's described in Hamilton, particularly the song "Non-stop", which has a refrain, "Why do you write like you're running out of time?" (This line has changed me so much that I not only have been writing this blog consistently, as I recently discussed, but I put it into almost every creative writing student's yearbook, save I made it an imperative.) Gaiman and Miranda are both hitting on the idea of creative efforts. Sure, contextually, Alexander Hamilton was writing this way because he was trying to form a new nation. Gaiman writes fantasy, horror, and the weird. Different kinds of creation, different kinds of writing, but the impulse is the same. And Miranda fits into this, too. Having learned more about the process to create the musical (or hip-hoperetta as I like to call it), I'm more and more impressed with the Miranda's abilities.

In my own writing, my own life, I don't feel that I'm necessarily making good art. I don't know if I'm ever going to contribute in the large-scale ways that Gaiman, Miranda, or (gasp) Hamilton. Well, I can correct myself: I know I'm not going to make that large of an impact. It's nothing particular (save, maybe, a nagging thought that, were I to do something remarkable, I would have likely figured out what that thing was by now), and I'm not even certain I would want to have the responsibility that such high art requires.

At the same time, it makes me wonder if my own ambition (or lack of it) is instead a precursor to something larger.

When I served my LDS mission in Miami, Florida, I often felt that I was one of the "planters", not one of the "reapers". This comes from the idea of missionary work as both planting the word of God and then harvesting ready souls--in a non-homicidal way, of course. For a long time, I was convinced that my job was to do the work and share the gospel, but not to help anyone become converted or change their lives. That was work for others to do at another time.

In terms of baptismal numbers--salfivic notches on the belt, as it were--I had only a few before my final three months. Then, in the last area where I served, I helped teach an entire family, who chose to get baptized together a couple weeks before I left. In other words, the great purpose of my mission was reserved for the end.

If that's a parallel to my life, then I'm unsure of how I feel about that. I didn't have an opportunity to stay long after the family was baptized--really, it was about three weeks, if I remember correctly. If my mission successes are an outline for how my life will be lived, I guess that means I'll die shortly after I get what I'm after.

But it also means that it'll come.

Well, if that's the case, the only way to prepare to make art is to do what Miranda did on that A-Train however many years ago: Follow the art to wherever it leads me.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both