Skip to main content

What to Write

I wouldn't say this is a companion piece to an older essay, but it is a spiritual successor. Despite the fact that lots of different thoughts have been percolating, I feel as though I would be remiss if I didn't self-indulge about how I feel about my writing, especially now that I've finished, essentially, six days of uninterrupted writing. And the way I feel about my writing is pretty much this:

"Are you enjoying the creation of your book?" "Yeah!......*sobs*." (Source)
I tried something different this year, which isn't unusual--I am doing my best to grow as a writer, which means that I put arbitrary challenges on myself to see what happens and how I can improve (as well as what mistakes to avoid in the future)--but I may have gone a little too far.

Firstly, I didn't have a single word written* before I went down. The past couple of years, I was in the middle (or near the beginning) of a book when I headed for the cabin. This time, however, despite knowing the characters, having the plan, and in all other things being ready for the writing, I didn't even have the words "Chapter One" written. Not having that foundation was something that took a little getting used to. I had to discover the voice of my main character--to figure out her in every way, as a matter of fact--which slowed me down at the beginning. I also had to throw away a lot of ideas (probably close to fifteen different potential scenes*) between when I started and when I ended, which I think came about because of that lack of understanding the character from the outset.

Secondly, I wrote a lot. Despite the challenges, I've never been more productive. Here's a screen capture of my spreadsheet, which I use to document how long of a chapter I've written, how long it took to write it, and the total amount of words.

The top right corner is probably the most interesting piece, though Day 3 is a personal record.
This is one sheet. The week after I went up by myself, I returned with my writing group and did the whole thing over again. I wasn't quite as productive (squeezing out 30,000 words during the second round), but it's still a remarkable amount. I'm almost done with novel, surprisingly, hitting about 78,000 words and still needing to write another 10-12,000 before I'm finished (I've four or five chapters left, and you can see how long each chapter is).

So why is this a problem? I may have burned myself out. I wrote in a week more than what is expected to be written in a month of NaNoWriMo, and the exhaustion of being in that world for such a sustained amount of time--and the "fed up-ness" of that experience--is also real. I haven't finished the story, and my drive to write it is low. I feel a touch of malaise when I think about the book; I don't want to return to it, despite having been home and having free time. I find other things to do, including reading, playing video games, or spending too much time at the bookstore. Why should I go back to a story that I'm (dare I say?) bored of?

And that leads to thirdly:

I don't know if there's a single thing here that isn't accurate. (Source)
I feel like I've accomplished basically nothing. It's common when I finish NaNoWriMo stories (two years so far, though I don't know if I'm going to go for a hat trick; they are exhausting) to feel like what I wrote is crap, I'm crap, and everything is basically crap. It doesn't help that, whilst with my mates on the retreat, I got another rejection (this time from someone who showed interest in the story on Twitter, but passed on pursuing the project any further after having read the first 50 pages).

I guess I'm saying that I'm a fragile snowflake and that the idea of writing more makes me want to fall to pieces.

No criticism, please. I'm fragile. (Source)

So, despite being "successful" with my retreat, I'm farther away from finishing it than when I started.

Blah.


----
* By written, I mean of the rough draft. I go with an outline, worldbuilding elements, and even images (I didn't get to the map this time, but I'm working on it now) so that I can write the story. I "prewrite" in that I imagine the scenes in my head until I can sit down and write them. So all of that advanced work was done before I went up.
** As I mentioned before, I use note cards to outline my scenes. They're more mobile--I can shift their order, as well as jump around to different scenes (like a director can while making a movie) and not feel out of sync. They also direct each chapter I write, so I can tell if where I am and where I thought I wanted to go are in the same direction. So the discarded scenes were note cards, not fully written chapters or scenes.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both