Skip to main content

Updates on Writing and Such

June's done. We're celebrating the nation's independence tomorrow (Happy birthday, America!), and things are moving along in my writing life. Peter is doing well (the potty training hasn't gone over very well, unfortunately), Gayle is spending a lot of time relaxing and painting murals, and all in all we're very content. I look forward to the school year somewhat reluctantly—I love my job, but I love my summers, too. It's hard to say that I'm ready to go back. We'll see how I feel in a month.

Writing Update

So here's the scoop for my current projects:

  1. Words of the Silenced: I have been doing heavy rewriting (expected, pleasant, but time consuming) in version 2.0 (how do you decide what gives it a new number, anyway?) and am really enjoying the way the story is flowing now. It makes more sense, and just seems better. The downside is that I should be at least a dozen chapters through by this point, yet I'm only finished with chapter 9. I can see the rewrite actually merging with original text fairly soon here, but it's not coming as quickly as I had hoped.
  2. Press Start: I blogged about my success in finishing Baudrillard, and I'm grateful to those few who have suffered through my first draft posts for the different essays. I'm most interested in (and frustrated with) the latest one, On Violence, because it strikes the kind of tone that I want for the book as a whole. Yet none of the other essays reflects that voice, so I'm afraid I may have to completely rewrite it. Well, I'll worry about revisions later. As it stands, I have 16,856 words in PStB. That's exciting for me, since I've added nearly 7,000 words since I last mentioned it. Even though I've finished Baudillard, the essays haven't flown (or flowed) out of me yet. I'm every hopeful, however.
  3. Tales: This one is the real disappointment, though I think it's more my own fault than the story's. I just set the bar too high. I wanted 100k by the end of June, but right now I have 80,786. That puts me at about 66% completion of the goal, which I shifted to the end of July. The biggest reason for missing this goal? The two books outlined above. They definitely rear their heads unexpectedly. The problem is this: I was expecting WotS to be a simple edit, the kind of thing that could take, at most 45 minutes of my day. Instead, since I've been doing full-fledged, 2,000 words plus on new chapters for it, I haven't had the ability to write new material for Tales. This is disappointing to no one save me, since my writer's group is about 10 chapters behind where I'm writing and my wife refuses to read my stuff if it isn't printed out and handed to her. Still, this is a valuable experience because I'm learning not only how to discipline myself as a writer, but also how to manage multiple projects. I don't foresee finishing any of these this summer, which is sad, but I will always have Saturdays during the school year.
Books I'm Reading

I still haven't finished Martin's Storm of Swords, nor commenced Warbreaker, though I'm eager to do both. I picked up Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, which is exciting for me. I like YA stuff because it's quick, fits in with the reading interests of my students, and often has memorable stories. I did begin reading David McCullough's 1776, a fitting read for this time of year, and I have been picking at 50 Philosophy Ideas You Really Need to Know, by Ben Dupre. It's a great book—easy to read, fascinating ideas, and though I can pick up a tiny bit of a bias within it, it's easy to see that every philosophical idea is being treated as fairly as possible. Good stuff.

Comments

Matthew Staib said…
Wow, sounds like your summer has been and will be jam-packed all the way up until school starts.

I had a sleepover at Stephen's last night and watched him beat MGS3. Now I know what I'm going to get into. And yes, now I know what scene you are talking about where you have no choice but to shoot your superior in the head. Stephen didn't hesitate XD However, he let Oscelot (however you spell that) go after the round of Russian Roulette. it was a very different game for me, seeing as how I'm the kind of gamer that runs into a room with a machine gun to git 'er dun.

Alexis let me borrow Final Fantasy VIII, and I beat the first disk in 2 days! That was a few days ago, and I haven't played it since with friends' parties and the Fourth, but I hope to resume once this week ends.

I went to San Diego last week, and I got the Dissidia Final Fantasy soundtrack. The ending credits for that game have to be the most magical thing ever. It's a medley of all the Final Fantasy ending themes combined. Sure gave me butterflies.

Good luck on finishing your books!
Steve Dowdle said…
Thanks, Matt. I hope I get stuff done, too.

Fortunately, seeing the end of MGS3 isn't as hard to follow as the end of MGS2 or 4, so at least you saw a 'safe' one. The games are remarkable, but they definitely have some more mature content (torture, shadowy conspiracies, a little frog thing that you're supposed to shoot...), so consider yourself warned.

I'm excited for the new FF games coming out. My wife just beat FFX a couple of nights ago, and we're working through FFX-2, which she hates because of the way X tends, and so X-2 picks up. It frustrates the hopeless romantic in her.
Matthew Staib said…
I really want to replay X. I've been borrowing from people, so I can't do all the things I want in the game. And yes, Stephen told me about the 64 frogs in the game you must shoot XD I plan on getting Dissidia Final Fantasy this August. I'm saving up for the PSP Dissidia package so that I can get that awesome-looking PSP. I'm sure it'll open new interests for me in my new endeavor to play all the Final Fantasies.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both