Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part XIII): On Hamlet

Ever since Hamlet had become my favorite play, I didn't want to teach it. I feared that I could never express what the play has come to mean to me, how brilliantly it works, and how strongly I feel about it. I also worried that, by exposing myself too much to one play, some of its magic would be lost.
I ended up being right about all of that.
When I started at Maeser, my co-worker--who taught the same curricula as I--let me know that we would teach Hamlet as part of the year's study. I was happy, for despite my misgivings, it was an exciting thing for me to experience again. It had been a couple of years since I'd seen Brian Vaughn's version, and rereading it for the class made me excited.
Not two or three months earlier, I had received an email from the now-defunct bookseller Borders. It let me know that Kenneth Branagh's four-hour film version was now available on DVD. I closed my computer, told Gayle I was going out for a bit, and got in the car. After buying the copy, I remember unwrapping it and looking at the insert in the front of the jewel case while waiting for a light to turn, wondering what choices Branagh would make for the Bard's best play.
Taking it home, I watched it with my in-laws and wife (with a little bit of embarrassment when naked Hamlet and naked Ophelia are rolling around on a bed, all of the private bits covered by strategic arms and legs--"That's not in the play!" I shouted as they rollicked) over the course of a couple of nights. Despite some minor hang-ups, I really enjoyed it.
Because I had the DVD at home, it was easy to access it when it came time to explore the play as a class.
Now, I knew that teaching Shakespeare is always a tricky proposition, especially when it's one of the required parts of a class, as opposed to an actual course on the Bard. In the former case, there's the onus of forcing everyone through the same experience, regardless of their interest. In the latter case, they've attended on purpose and wish to study Shakespeare specifically. Students put up fewer barriers in the second case.
Hoping to circumvent too much criticism of Hamlet--in part because I didn't know if I could handle the kids not appreciating the play--I decided to take it very slowly. I devoted about nine days to the play, with each day taking up nearly two hours. I assigned the students the play to actually read at home--a scene or two, depending on the length. Then we'd go over the plot using graphic organizers--small pictures with text next to them--where I'd summarize what we'd read the night before. After that was done, we'd watch the film that matched up with our readings. Lastly, we'd discuss important moments and speeches, with lengthy conversations about what was implied, meant, and inferred by the words. Some very intriguing conversations came about as a result.
By having a multi-pronged attack, as it were, I felt as though I'd actually done justice to the play, something I worried I wouldn't be up to. Whether or not, of course, students really did enjoy what I gave them, I don't rightly know.
Due to the schedule of that school year, I timed the ending of Hamlet with the ending of the first semester, which also coincided with the end of the calendar year. I remember watching the film with the students as it snowed outside the large windows of the former bowling alley. The haunting soundtrack of Patrick Doyle can still evoke a quasi-Christmas feeling in me as I approached my second Christmas as a father and the first as a teacher.
These memories stay with me, reminders of the living past. I still teach Hamlet (though in September instead of December now), and I still use similar techniques. But the play has lost some of its luster. I believe I feel less satisfied with Hamlet now not because the play has failed me, but the other way around. I don't gain more and more with each pass because I've become complacent. I know the story, I know the lines--I can give act and scene for almost every beat of the play. But I don't dive deeper into it because my job is to show the students how to swim in a Shakespeare text. I'm forced, almost, to remaining superficial.
Thus one of my original fears is realized.
Still, I wouldn't change it. The play is powerful and important. Yes, it's kind of kitschy, but I dress up in all black the day that Hamlet dies (and I often get condolences from my co-workers). I think that sort of thing, even if it is stale to me, is part of Shakespeare. The stories are familiar. We know many of the lines and cite him by accident. But despite there being a familiarity, Shakespeare always can give us something new to understand. Despite the constant presence of Hamlet in my professional life, I still strive to learn something new about being human, being compassionate, being real from the story of Hamlet.

So maybe it isn't all bad. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both