Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part XIV): Emulation

I love to write.
Of non-school related writings, I've poured more than a million words into different keyboards throughout my life, and the number certainly increases if we look back at all I've done in high school and college. One of my earliest memories, in fact, is hammering on a typewriter in my grandmother's basement, cranking out a poor excuse for a story on a single sheet of crayoned-over paper.
I wrote novels throughout high school--mostly Spider-Man fan-fic--and so I have to divide my writing 'career' as pre- and post-graduation. Since I left high school, I have written one Spider-Man novel and four fantasy novels: Impetus, Words of the Silenced, Tales of the Flame, and Writ in Blood. The Spider-Man book feels legitimate to me, if only because actual novels are published in the Marvel Universe all of the time, so I was only writing in the market I wanted to publish in.
Or something like that.
The four fantasy novels, however, are all responses to my own experience. Impetus came as a result of reading too many Terry Goodkind novels. Words of the Silenced was inspired by a three-day job I took at a telemarketing firm right after graduating from college. I wrote Tales of the Flame in response to an image of a man who committed suicide but didn't die. And Writ in Blood is my attempt at making poetry, elevated language--indeed, Shakespeare--into a vivid, action-layered, and political powerhouse.
I, largely, failed.
Okay, I failed at making it "vivid, action-layered, and political", but I did include poetry and elevated language.
Part of it comes from Tales of the Flame, easily my most embarrassing effort at novel writing. Poorly plotted, strangely executed, and lacking even the most basic narrative strengths, Tales of the Flame is horrible. Like Skittles in a turd, though, there were some good parts that were tainted by what surrounded them. One of the parts that was worth salvaging from the train wreck (to further mix metaphors and introduce more clichés) was a father/son relationship that I threw in at the tail end of Tales. The man and the boy spoke in a slightly elevated style, mimicking the cadences of some of the prose in Shakespeare. A sonnet, put in as a song from one of the characters, wove fairly well into the rest of the narration.
That was the germ I needed. Proof, as it were, that I could incorporate poetry and elevated language--done sparingly--and still make a worthwhile story.
Gayle became instrumental in the process, since I needed a sounding board for how the poetry would work as a magic system. Devising prices to be paid--scars and pain--she helped me to create character motivations, characteristics, and idiosyncrasies. The world began to form, a Mediterranean-flavored country with poetry layered throughout. Multiple cultures morphed until settling on final versions.
At one point, I had to make a compromise on accuracy versus readability. The conjugation of verbs in the informal tense is what Shakespeare uses in particular cases. It indicates the relationship between the speakers--ruler to subject, parent to child. Whenever he uses the informal conjugation, it says more than just the words on the page. Gertrude, in Act 3 scene 4 of Hamlet, says, "Hamlet, thou hast thy father much offended." She's using informal voice, with the words "thou hast thy" being an indication of their proximity as kin. But Hamlet inverts that on her, throwing back the line, "Mother, you my father have much offended." She immediately tunes into this sudden verbal barrier, replying, "Come, come, you answer with an idle tongue." She reverts to formal conjugation, implicitly agreeing that there's something that's happened between the two of them.
In Writ in Blood, characters would be using "thee" and "thou" and "ye"--all of the informal conjugations. But few people consider these to be informal in English. We, paradoxically, respond to this conjugational format as being more formal, something reserved for incredibly polite company. It's a quasi-sacred form of speech, since the King James Version of the Bible utilizes the informal so frequently. Knowing this, I changed the terminology for my book. Whenever they spoke informally, I called it Formal. Whenever they spoke "normally", they were speaking "informally". It hurt the grammarian in me to make this choice, but it seemed the only way to bridge the somewhat esoteric nomenclature and the accessibility of the text.
I drafted the book over the course of about three years, putting more effort and time into it than any other project I've ever worked on. I produced three or four thousand words a week--sometimes more--and ended the process with over 311,000 words in it. In other words, I made the best book I could--and it's unpublishable.
I don't know if it's the denseness of the prose (which can get a little thorny on occasion) or that I'm soliciting the wrong people, but whatever the case, I've had only the barest of nibbles as I've sent out queries for agent representation. The thought of printing it out and submitting it (revised, it's down to 290,000 words) to publishers directly is cost-prohibitive: printing out the manuscript would cost anywhere between $25 and $35, plus the price of shipping. It just isn't worth it.
Part of my worry about Writ in Blood is, in all honesty, Shakespeare. I know he's cachet--he has hundreds of festivals named after him every year and, 400 years down the line, he's still making headlines and inspiring people. Sure, a lot of people are intimidated by him (silly them), but there are few in this country who haven't heard of William Shakespeare. And because of the tendency of aspiring authors to compare their works to established (and lucrative) authors, I'm leery to comp-title Shax. I mean, it simply sounds beyond audacious to say my book is "Shakespeare meets Homer with a Cold War-style twist." The associations it invites, while intriguing, also oversell my writing. It's inspired by Shakespeare, but it's no Shakespeare. It's set in Homer's homeland, but it's no Homer. It pulls some of its political concepts from the Cold War, but that's a minor particle of world building. And yet, Shakespeare is why I ended up with the book I did, so why shouldn't I sell it as such?
I think it's my own fear that, though my book with resonate with some, as a whole the concept is too "high-brow" for mass appeal. When I think of people dressing up as characters from books, they aren't going to be dressed in colorful togas and calling themselves Nicomachus. There are plenty of other books out there--shorter, most of them--with more iconic feeling than what Writ in Blood is trying to do. That's part of why I love my book. It's its own thing. It fuses some of the great loves of my life, Shakespeare and fantasy, and pushes it into a new direction.
Sadly, no one--as yet--is interested in that direction. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both