Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part XV): What's in a Name?

I always wanted a baby girl. I don't know why--maybe it's because I grew up with two brothers, and was already seven when my sister finally came. Maybe it's because I am a self-proclaimed feminist (which is convenient, because it means I get to be a feminist on my own terms--a very feminist thing to do, I'd say) and would like to raise a girl who understands her value comes less from her chromosomes and more from her humanity. Maybe it's because the only names I like are female names.
With my first born, because of his heart condition, we had to decide quickly on a name. It wasn't required; we just couldn't keep referring to "the baby" without our throats sticking. Picking a name simplified an already too-complicated experience. Since Gayle and I have been together since our junior year in high school, we'd often joked that we'd name any kid we had "Peter Bruce Dowdle", after our two favorite superheroes (Peter Parker as Spider-Man and Bruce Wayne as Batman). Neither of us thrilled at the name, necessarily. Especially Bruce. Neither of us liked Bruce.
But when we found out the gender of Peter, we decided to go ahead and use half of our years' old joke. His name is biblical, after all, and so we could always fall on that if people ask why use that name. Plus it's traditional; with a weird last name like Dowdle, you take what shortcuts you can. Lastly, Peter's in Shakespeare.
I was still new to the Bard, so I didn't immediately think of Peter Quince from A Midsummer Night's Dream. I had to go online to some website that contained every character from every play and start hunting. I quickly found that one of the servants to the Capulet family is named Peter, too. I later saw others in sundry plays, all characters being of minor necessity; still, they were there.
Satisfied that my obsession with superheroes, religion, and Bardolatry could, in one fell swoop, be accounted for, I agreed with Gayle that Peter would be his name.
Our second child, Jeremy, takes his name from the fact that Jeremy is a name we happened to like and hadn't been spoiled by any bratty kids that either of us had taught over the years. There isn't a popular superhero who shares the name, nor is there a strong biblical connection (Jeremiah is the closest). He's not in Shakespeare. As the middle child, he gets the shaft.
When it came to our third boy, we were, again, undecided. Too many of the names that we came up with were satisfactory, especially when you add in that more years had passed since the naming of the last boy, and so more students had ruined names forever for us. (This is a teacher malady that extends to just about everyone I've talked to, by the way.)
I was reluctant to land on the name William, since it's so obvious where the name came from. Sure, we've some family names going back that touch on all our boys' names, but none of them provided the actual inspiration. No, calling Baby #3 'William' was Bardolatry, pure and simple.
Now, the name William does come with some non-Shakespearean baggage. It means 'defender', and, since I'm Mormon and religious, I thought 'defender of the faith' could also be apt. Also, it's a fairly popular name, doesn't have spelling problems (unless you make them yourself), and it suits well enough for a name.
So we picked it.
The first couple of days of his life, I cradled William in the crook of my arm and read Twelfth Night aloud to him. Gayle took some baby pictures of him cradled by copies of Shakespeare--Complete Works as well as individual titles. I occasionally quote a line or two at him, which does little, as he's too young to understand any language, really. He hasn't shown any sort of writing or acting proclivity, but that's not really the point.
I think the reason it's significant for me to have named one of my children after William Shakespeare is one of personal fulfillment. It goes along with the experience I had in Stratford-on-Avon and seeing Shakespeare's grave, I think: It's a way of connecting to someone who has been so instrumental in the way my life has changed.
I recognize that there may be something unhealthy about my interest in the Bard. Aside from this pretentious memoir, it's obvious to most anyone who talks to me for any length of time that I've Shakespeare on my mind almost all of the time, in one way or another.
This isn't to say that William Shakespeare the man is what I hope my child becomes. Not even close--our best guess about him is that our 'Sweet Swan of Avon' was a rather detached father,  cold businessman, and aggressively litigious. Still, in terms of affecting the world for good, my actual baby William could do a lot worse than seeking the type of life-changing reach that the baby William Shakespeare would grow up to attain.
I don't know where else this matters, of course, in terms of the greater narrative of my time as an unapologetic Bardolator, save that such passion--or, perhaps more closely, obsession--evokes all sorts of responses.
I'd like to consider that there's some deeper meaning to picking Shakespeare to be the namesake of my last child, but I can't stir up much more than what I've already said. Maybe the big takeaway is that it's hard to name kids, particularly for a teacher, so one may as well go with a part of teaching that is liked.

Well, at least I didn't name him after Jane Austen. That could've made life more difficult for him than I would want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both