Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part XVI): Teach the Text, I Pray You

Drama is a natural part of life, and I don't mean the time spent on stage. Plans are laid and, like those mice and men, often go awry. We soldier on, of course, feeling as though there's some catharsis somewhere, though the curtain seems to have dropped acts ago. It can be difficult to tell if we're living a sequel, prequel, or the main event.
I felt the curtain drop on a cherished aspiration when Justin was fired from his job at Maeser. He and I were planning on working together on a Concurrent Enrollment Shakespeare class that would give college credit to the seniors who participated. We wanted to tackle three or four plays, plus some other, contemporary works, all within a framework of improving the writing.
I'm not privy to the reasons why Justin was let go, but with his departure--and the degree he had--the class had to be cancelled. I was bothered by it, in part because I'd lost a mentor and a friend, and also because a dream of being able to focus exclusively on the Bard--or, near enough, anyway--was going away. I couldn't see how I'd ever be able to pursue a more intellectual, less nuts-and-bolts class of Shakespeare now. My measly bachelor's degree wouldn't allow me to carry a concurrent enrollment class, and the AP tests focus on things other than just the Bard.
One year passed into another and new faces came to the school. One of them was Dr. Marianna Richardson, who (obviously) had a degree that would allow the Concurrent Enrollment Shakespeare class to return. Neither of us had taught a class like this, though she had had experience with college writing as well as the Son of Memory. Together, we hammered together an approach to the class that would satisfy the CE requirements and the itch we both had to really dive into the texts. We selected As You Like It, Twelfth Night, Henry V, Richard III, The Tempest, The Sonnets, Othello, and Macbeth as the primary texts covered.
It wasn't easy. Not only was the focus of our class different than other CE classes, we had problems registering the class with Utah Valley University. Then Dr. Richardson got an offer to become a part time professor at Brigham Young University, which kept her out of the classroom twice a week. It became a feature, rather than a bug, of the class.
See, I would get to circle the desks and chat in depth about whatever act we happened to be in at the time. Then, when Marianna came back, we'd have a lesson on writing, a critique of a paragraph, or some other approach to the curriculum. She'd leave the next day, and I'd jump right back into the plays. Admittedly, it was unfair to her; she was the vegetables, I was the dessert. But it still worked as a class.
I was grateful for the opportunity to learn how to mold kids' writing. I've always written intuitively, and, while I've taken great pains to learn how to write better, there's always been a baseline talent for it. Because it came naturally, it made translating my process into something easily digested by students quite difficult. Seeing another teacher, in a frequent, in-depth way, engaging with the process of writing was reassuring to me.
Partway through the year, I managed to get myself to London and nearby Stratford-upon-Avon. I there purchased a Complete Works, which I used as my primary text for the remainder of the year.
The choice proved fortuitous.
Because the students used the Folger Shakespeare Library edition and I used the Norton International Student Edition, disparities in the texts began to crop up. Where theirs read "ancient" for the appellation of Iago, mine read "ensign"--a fascinating change. By shifting away from the Norton translation, you read Iago as a member of the army without any irony within it. However, going with the Norton edition, there's an irony in calling "honest Iago" an "ensign", or a standard--that is, one who is reliable and can be looked to as a genuine indicator of placement on the field. There's a lot going on, even though the words are fairly interchangeable, in having an ancient as opposed to an ensign.
Other fascinating tidbits came out of my enormous "other baby William". I learned more about Elizabethan and Jacobean culture, the successes of some of the plays, and the gulf of differences between the two versions of King Lear. Information on the conflated text--though not its inherent problems--of Hamlet are also highlighted. In short, it was definitely worth the thirty-five quid.
In my responsibilities of teaching the tenth grade curricula of history and English, I have the duty to teach about the Holocaust. It's not my favorite thing. It's dark, depressing, and just one small snapshot of the much larger whole of suffering that the twentieth century reveled in. I teach it in a very strongly worded, somber way, which definitely affects the teenagers. In fact, this year, I finished my lecture four minutes early (a rarity; I'm almost always ending class on time). I told the students I had nothing left to say and, if they wanted, they could go to lunch.
No one left their seats.
The emotional toll of talking about this sort of thing for four hours straight is fairly large for a person like me, who can't see why we all can't just get along. I tried to be a bit more upbeat during the latter-half of the day, since I wouldn't have to talk about the Holocaust for another year. Still, something was off.
When I arrived in my Shakespeare class during seventh period, though, my students were clapping and shouting in excitement. I had missed what had them amped up, but a quick bit of questioning clued me in: the next day was Shakespeare's 450th birthday.
The class was stoked. They wanted hats and cake and a big party the next day. Dr. Richardson and I both looked at each other and said, "Okay." We liked the idea, too.
We grabbed a copy of The Complete Works of Shakespeare (Abridged) and, the next day, sat down and watched the play about the plays. The students laughed at a lot of the more esoteric jokes (though, it should be said, the Abridged crew does a really good job of making the plays relevant and funny) and overall we had a good time.
What really mattered, though, was seeing their enthusiasm. I didn't have to tell them the news that Shakespeare's birthday was on the 23rd. They already knew. They were already talking about it. They were already excited. That made a big difference to me on that bleakest of days, because I saw the great binaries of humanity distilled. The misery and despair of hatred on one hand and the uplifting, ebullient power of passion and love on the other. The darkest depths of humanity were explored while some of the greatest accomplishments of humankind were lauded.
That day in life, as in Shakespeare, I saw both "sound and fury" as much as the "paragon of animals", a dichotomy that helped relieve me of some of the burden I had struggled with.
It put a lot of faith back into humanity to see these students enthusiastic about something that is hard, yet valuable. It can be difficult to remember, for me, that Shakespeare is opaque to many people. The very thing I thrill at--his complex language--instills others with concern, apathy, or outright revulsion. They think that experiencing Shakespeare is the same as reading Shakespeare is the same as learning what the stories by Shakespeare mean. But that isn't it at all. William Shakespeare's power--the power that I saw in the faces of my celebrating students--is that of accessing a commonality that links person to person in intimate ways via a shared text. Despite despairing that I'd never have a chance to see that sort of intimacy, I learned that any fallen curtain can again be raised.

One need only have some patience. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both