Skip to main content

A New Horizon

I'm in the planning stages of writing a new genre of book for me. Normally, I play exclusively in the science fiction/fantasy sandboxes, leaning more toward fantasy than her sister, science fiction. Part of that stems from my reading diet: Aside from Shakespeare and other 'classics' that I read for work, I read almost exclusively in genre fiction. If you fold in Spider-Man novels (or other comic books, the majority of which I would classify as a very soft science fiction), I have a full half of my bookshelves filled with genre fiction. The other half is split among classics, poetry, Shakespeare and Milton studies, and other miscellaneous stuff.

It's a surprise, then, that I'm plotting out a piece of mainstream fiction.

I have a lot of motives for this. One: I need to keep stretching as a writer. I have, in the last two and a half years, finished five novels. It took me nearly four years (or maybe it was five) to finish Writ in Blood. If I had focused on output during that time, I would be into my double-digits with books I've completed (meaning written the entire book, not necessarily finished the editing process). While quantity isn't the be-all and end-all (to quote Macbeth), it is a way of growing as a writer. I've felt this, now that I finally wrote a lot of different things in a (relatively) short amount of time.

With that as background, I feel like I have been relying on a lot of my fantastical interests. That is, I have honed my ability to tell a story that involves things of immense imagination. Now, I think, I'm ready to find a story that doesn't involve writings that I've been trained to tell.

See, fantasy and science fiction tropes are powerful things. There are specific things inside the genre that demand to be recognized--embraced or subverted, it doesn't matter. But I'm always working with (or around) these expectations. And I am really familiar with these expectations. I've studied them a lot, I've read a lot of examples of them, and they're part of why I love genre fiction.

So it's time for me to change gears. I have long shunned mainstream fiction because it is less focused (I've felt) and dwells in a realm that I'm less inclined to live in. But, having read the Shakespearean novels lately, I feel like there may be a story for me to unearth after all.

Two: In my back pocket (metaphorically) I have three novels outlined--maybe four, depending on how I wanted to approach them. Two or three are a massive, bleak, grimdark approach to fantasy in which the line from Horatio at the end of Hamlet is the best description: "casual slaughters". But it's gritty stuff, filled with sadness, suffering, and, well, grimdark. I don't know if I want to be in that world for as long as it would take to write those novels. Nevertheless, they're sprawling, interconnected, and a unique (I think) look at death.

The other novel is a "sequel" of sorts to my Conduits and Ash and Fire universe (the first being sci-fi/fantasy, the second all fantasy, and the third being all sci-fi), one that includes time travel and dinosaurs. It's a lot of fun, and I've already written a good ten chapters or so.

But my point is this: I've already started writing some of the world. I tend to draft a sketch that I use as a starting place for my novels, and putting one of the stories down in the type of detail that I do when writing a novel is a bit of a commitment. It's not that I'm bothered about wasting words--I do that all of the time. I want to try out the story for a few pages to see if I'm ready to tackle it. I did with the grimdark stuff, and learned it wasn't for me, yet. The dinosaur one was fun, but I set it aside for NaNoWriMo. Now I'm thinking of leaving it on a hiatus until I can figure out if this current novel is worth pursuing.

Three: There are so many things about my life and faith that are paradoxical or confusing. I feel like addressing my fears and confusions in fiction is the place where I can sort them out in the safest way. What that means is that I'm writing a piece of fiction that is tightly wound up in my own lived experience. It's about a bunch of white people, all of the same religion and similar backgrounds, living in a small town in rural Utah, trying to accept each other as the humanity of each one of them is slowly brought to painful light.

This is, for me, heavy stuff. Before, issues I wanted to discuss were put into a new world where I could play with them from a safe distance. For example, in response to Proposition 8, the concept of what marriage is and ought to be became an enormous touchstone for a lot of people in the late aughts early teens. That was the same time when I started thinking about Writ in Blood, which has cultures each approaching the question of marriage--its purpose, its ubiquity, and its flaws--in a different way. This was beneficial to me, because I was able to use the metaphors of my fictional world to bring up questions I had without actually voicing them.

That doesn't apply this time. I'm not seeking out a metaphor in this new book: I'm challenging myself, my beliefs, and the beliefs of others in ways that I don't know I'm mature enough to handle.

We'll see if I can keep this new book on the horizon in front of me, or if I retreat into what I know and love already.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both