Skip to main content

What to Write

In the post-NaNoWriMo brain-sploodge (I'm pretty sure that's a real phrase), I've been negligent with my non-fiction essay writing. And my normal writing. And, you know....doing things with words. I haven't written any worthwhile poetry in...well, years, probably. I wrote one poem with my creative writing class, and it wasn't anything worth putting time into. I've hobbled together three far too long and complicated essays, with a fourth in the works, but I haven't dropped a word in any of the different books or worlds that I want to work on.

On one level, it's a nice purge. I wrote a lot, really fast, with very little planning, and pulled off a novella. The goal forcing me to put in the word count was really draining, and since I not only wanted to "win" NaNoWriMo again, I wanted to finish a story in time to gift it to my wife for Christmas. Having done that, I wasn't ready for more writing. As a result, the daily thoughts here on this blog are quite a bit more sporadic than what I did at the beginning of the school year. I've written 18 of the 26 days so far this month, though I suppose it's not a huge crime that I didn't write on Christmas (or the Eve, since that day is pretty tradition-heavy in my life, too). While I'm really proud of the three essays I linked above, I think, having fallen off the essay-writing wagon in order to write a book about cloudfarmers, I am struggling to convince myself to resume.

"But it's almost New Year! You could make a goal and stuff!" I hear you cry. "Go ahead and take off the week before 2017 starts. Refresh yourself."

Sure. And there will be a lot of writing next year. But there are two things that I'm trying to get me to the keyboard about: 1) my European trip, and 2) the break itself.

For the first, I'm headed to Europe for two weeks with my students. That's two weeks of incredible experiences. I'll be writing a daily journal about what we did in order to keep the memories sharper longer. I'll be taking lots of pictures. I'm very excited about it. But that type of writing--travelogues--isn't really what I'm trying to improve in terms of my own writing. That means that, though I won't be in school or doing any of the other aspects of my life that drain my energy that I could otherwise use for writing, I won't be in the mind- or physical space I need to write any of my fiction. Again, I'm not complaining about being in Europe. I'm particularly excited that I'm headed back to Stratford-upon-Avon. (Cue giddy fangirling sounds.) Instead, I'm saying that, if I have a goal for improving my writing, missing out on the first three weeks of the year is a bad way to start a New Year's resolution.

As for point number two, it's really frustrating to me to have copious amounts of free time and not get something written. Even a Saturday in which I don't write more than some throw-away essay is one that is counted as a loss. (There's a paradox in there, too: If I don't have the goal to write, I won't get anything written and I'll be upset; if I have a goal to write, and it doesn't happen--usually because I'm being a father--then I feel the day's a waste and I get upset.) Having an entire week in which to write, yet saying, "I'm taking a break!" is something of a waste to me.

Why don't I just write something, then? Well, that's part of the problem: I'm not excited by any of my book prospects. They all interest me, but I don't know if I want to explore them. I'm trying my hand at a mainstream fiction book and it's really intimidating me. I have a dinosaur book that I feel I still haven't done enough research on the dinosaurs that I'm putting into the story. I have a sprawling, complex, grimdark piece that makes me feel kind of icky because it's so grim and dark. There are other ideas that are percolating in the back of my head, including any number of sequels, edits, or changes to existing work. Have you ever gone to your favorite restaurant because you're hungry, only to be paralyzed by the idea of having to pick your meal? It's like that, except that writing doesn't usually lead to satiety, but only a desire to write more.

Unless it's in the post-NaNoWriMo brain-sploodge. That, apparently, is different.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both