Skip to main content

Good Writing

The concept of "good writing" has been knocking around my sconce for the last little bit. It grows out of pedagogy issues (how do I teach "good writing" if I can't pin down what I even think it is) as well as the other end of the writing process: reading. What makes for a good book? And if I can point to objective things about good books, surely I could emulate that idea for good writing, right?

Nope.

Here's the thing: I'm a pretty okay guitarist. I can play a lot of songs (sloppily) that I like and I can sometimes impress a gym full of teenagers with what I know. I've even taken the time to learn some technically intricate or interesting pieces by highly talented musicians. Learning to play these songs does require a particular skill set, but just because I can play the lead guitar parts to "Pal Treaux" doesn't mean I could ever write any aspect of this song. (This song, btw, is from my favorite band, the Rx Bandits and it sings to my soul and I love it and you should to so that we can remain friends and/or ambivalent strangers on the Internet.)


And that's the thing about reading good books. I know full well why Shakespeare is so amazing at what he does. But could I do what he does? I mean, Benedict Cumberbatch can act a mean Hamlet or Richard III, but his performance of the work is not the same as the creation of the work.

Pictured here, Bumblefinger Cinderblock and her rider.
Of course no one mistakes Cumberbatch for Shakespeare. We don't usually make the mistake of a performance replacing the creator. But writing and reading operate in a different realm.

Consider this: According to some old statistics (circa 2002), about 81% of Americans* feel like they have a book in them. That's a pretty high number, and there's an assumption that, because just about everybody can read a book, the same can be said for writing one. (Especially children's books, which are some of the hardest types of books to create, write, pitch, and sell. Almost no children book authors has enough royalties coming in to make it a solid career.) We have this strange, democratic sense that we can all write a book if we only devoted the time.

That...may be true, actually. But the greater point is that good writing (which, I would think, leads to good books) is much harder to come by. I can perform Rx Bandits songs (passably), but I can't create them.

And that circles me back to the idea of good writing. I'm leery of putting it in the same ambiguous category as obscenity "I know it when I see it" because not only does that make it egregiously subjective, but it's also packaging an entire craft with a lot of baggage that I don't think it ought to carry. But it can't be a strictly objective thing, either:


There are a lot of perils and problems in believing art of any kind can be objectively judged, but so, too, are there potholes in assuming that all things can be judged equally. There's so much that goes into writing that it can almost become paralyzing (some of what Bloom was no doubt talking about in his "anxiety of influence" thesis I talked about before). Okay, maybe not paralyzing, but it can give me pause.

Without being able to nail down definitions, it's easy to get lost in the Syndrome fallacy ("If everyone's super, no one is") and start thinking that all writing is equal. But it's not. This essay is a good example of my writing, but my example isn't necessarily good writing. Is having pithiness in writing a component? If so, how big of a role should it play? What about allusions? Illustrations? Rhetorical questions? My essay has all of them, yet I don't see it as being good writing. Comparatively, it's brilliant--if I'm comparing myself to my six year old son's writing. If I pretended that I'm in the same league as David Sedaris or Dr. Samuel Johnson, then I'm deluding myself.

Why? Cultural cachet and momentum of veneration are contributing factors, but if Dr. Johnson didn't have something of worth to say, he wouldn't be remembered. Original essayists like Montaigne are revered for having created the genre, yes, but they were also good at it.

I can point at any number of qualities of that goodness--clarity of thought, cleverness of verbosity, profundity of insight--but that's what makes their writing good. What makes mine any good--if it's good at all?

....I don't really know.

----
* Don't read the rest of the article. It's smarmy and weird, even if the chap has some good points. His delivery is arrogant and tone needlessly dismissive, say I with a dismissive sniff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both