Skip to main content

An Unexpected Opponent

I'm reading a book about Reconstructivists, a particular brand of fundamentalist Christianity that is better known for their effects than for their name. The book, Building God's Kingdom, looks closely at the manifestations of Reconstructivism within the purview of education. It's the backbone of the homeschooling movement, as well as school choice and other cultural and political reverberations of similar ilk.

Julie Ingersoll explores this mostly through a close reading and careful history of a fellow named Rousas John Rushdoony and the manifold ways in which his vision of education in America ought to be constrained by biblical teachings and interpretations. He and his followers (even those who disagree with some of his points and modify them to fit their own means--as followers often do) have cast the world in a binary: Theism and humanism.

Now, I'm a sectarian humanist, which may sound like a contradiction in terms, but that's because "secular humanist" has been conflated into "humanist" in the popular imagination. This essay isn't about sectarian humanism, but it's important to note that self-identifying as a sectarian (Mormon) humanist means that I disagree with this binary almost immediately. I don't believe that appreciating, honoring, and valuing humanity is anti-God; indeed, I feel God demonstrates His greatness through the works of mankind. If I analyze the binary on which they define the world as false, it's pretty clear at this juncture that I don't really subscribe to their philosophy or theology. (I would recommend that you read up on their ideas yourself and make your own decision.)

So, in the spirit of staking a claim against a philosophical opponent I didn't know existed, let me explore these ideas for a bit. There are two points that I thought were interesting from my reading of the first third of the book (all I've read so far): One, the implications of false theocracy; and two, potential hypocrisy over means and ends.

Implications of False Theocracy

As a millenarian Mormon, I believe that Jesus Christ will one day rule this planet as a benevolent, divine Monarch. His kingdom will subsume all other governments as He resurrects the 106 billion humans who have lived on the Earth. That's part of my worldview: The eventual reign of God on Earth.

As an inheritor of a sometimes-justified persecuted-complex religion, I am all too aware of what happens when people pretending to be godly are given power. I'm not making the argument that Reconstructionism is false as a theology--that's a slightly different claim that falls into a different essay--but as a potential (and, in their words, rather overt) theocracy it is false. My reasoning for this is that any current religion--mine own included--is a poor vessel for a government. Inasmuch as we have an imperfect world filled with imperfect humans doing imperfect things, a theocracy is always a bad idea.

There are salvific implications that extend beyond the mortal realm that are a concern. Any theocracy--any government--is tasked with protecting the people beneath it. That, historically, at least, leads to violence and war. Particularly that second piece is so theologically problematic that any theocracy that advocates it is on dangerous grounds. And, yes, I think the Hebrews' attempted genocide in the Old Testament is a theological problem.

So when it comes to Reconstructionists and their interest in building a theocracy via education, I naturally view this as pernicious. It's not simply that they utilize the Bible in ways that I, as a Mormon, would disagree with--though that's part of the mistrust I have of theocracies. Seeing the wars and bloodshed and lost potential of the species because of differences in religious interpretation (see: The Thirty Years' War), I'm suspicious that yet another reading of the Bible would be unique enough to guarantee the "correct" reading we need for an accurate theology. And while my Mormonism teaches me that we have the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ, it's quite clear through Mormon history that we have a lot to learn--about people of color and the correct form of marriage to name the most obvious examples--before we could claim that we have it one hundred percent correct.

Is "secular humanism" and civil governments the solution? Well, at the very least, a secular government isn't making any eschatological claims that may end up being incorrect. If a theocracy swears up and down that a particular mode of baptism is necessary for the salvation of souls, enforcing that mode of baptism onto the people, and that mode of baptism isn't correct, then not only have the people been misled by the theocracy (an error secular governments can likewise do), but the souls of the people so misled are also imperiled.

Additionally, the point of God creating humans in this way is to let us figure things out. That, at least, has been what I've learned as a Mormon. We're supposed to learn how to be better people, using the Truth that God has revealed as a helpmeet, so that we're prepared to meet God again. A theocracy disallows the choices that are, from a Mormonic point of view, so fundamental in the forging of a soul. Indeed, if you explore Mormon doctrine, you'll see that there's a concept of "Satan's plan" for the salvation of souls, one in which the salvific experience was done at the expense of free will. The emulation of that plan on earth is a theocracy, no matter how well intentioned. Yes, there are flaws and problems in world governments, but they allow the maximum amount of agency, particularly in pluralistic societies like America enjoys.

In sum, the explicit goal of Reconstructionists is to build America into an overtly Christian theocracy. On that level alone, I oppose them.

Hypocrisy of Means and Ends

In tandem with my understanding of the desire for a theocracy is the hypocrisy of those perpetrating this reconstruction of American education. Their basic argument is that governmental schools are schools of humanism. "Public education is inevitably indoctrination into a humanistic worldview" (Ingersoll loc. 1647). That is a clear and present danger to a Reconstructionist, but I feel as though there isn't a deep enough look at the actual fear.

Because the binary is between theism and humanism, then the concern is focused on what the kids are learning. But the problem isn't "humanistic worldview", the problem is "indoctrination". The whole issue with indoctrination is that it overrides a person's innate (or, if you're feeling religious, God-given) ability to decipher, learn, and decide on one's own. The Reconstructionists argue that kids have to be trained up "properly" and with a "biblical understanding of the world", yet to inculcate that into a mind--particularly if the mind is not given options from which to decide--is the same sin which they refuse to name: Indoctrination.

The more a person learns, the clearer it is to see areas of indoctrination in one's own life. The point of education, learning, and growing is to become aware of these discrepancies and embrace understood truths with a clearer mind than blind acceptance. It isn't about rejecting what one once learned; it's about learning to appreciate and love what one has learned of one's own volition. The forced-love of God saves no one.

The thing that really gets me about this hypocrisy ("indoctrination is bad unless we're doing it") is that--begging your pardon for the stereotype--many right-leaning New Christian Right people are vociferously and even distressingly ignorant about decrying "creeping Sharia" and bad-mouthing traditional Islamic manners of living in the Middle East.

Now, I'm not saying that because Saudi Arabia is, essentially, a type of Islamic theocracy it's fine that they educate their kids with a "Quranic-based understanding of the world". It's not, for all the same reasons as I mentioned above. I'm not singling out Christian theocracies as problematic, in other words. What I am saying is that the so-called justification for Islamophobia is often one of "they want to convert the world to Islam and will do it through brainwashing and violence!" Yet those who cry that so often are keen to "convert the world to Jesus and will do it through indoctrination and political clout"--the result of which is a very real violence (just look at the Hobby Lobby debacle with health care). 

Conclusion

I daresay that a lot of the people who read my blog identify and maybe even support the Reconstructionists' point of view and maybe even laud their end goals. In other words, I imagine some of you disagree with my posits. As a sectarian humanist that believes in the founding principles of America, I think you have the right to do that. And I think that underscores why I oppose Reconstructionism: My belief in the inherent worth of humans (humanism) can only stand so long as Reconstructionism never gains its end goal.


Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both