Skip to main content

What I Say

In terms of pedagogy, I follow Socrates in weird ways. If you've heard of the chap, you know Socrates is known for asking questions. We always think of Socrates and his method as being question-based.

While that isn't necessarily wrong, it's important to note how Socrates uses questions. Think of the beginning of Book IV of Plato's The Republic. There, we see Socrates being asked a question by Adeimantus, but most of the first major section of text is Socrates' answer (after having asked a clarifying question of his interlocutor). He doesn't necessarily spend a lot of time asking questions and listening to others.* In fact, he often posits his own ideas at great length, occasionally asking for input from the others.

It's important to note that he sets up his arguments with large, important questions. Book I of The Republic starts off with this question: "Is life harder toward the end, or what report do you give of it?" (11). That launches them into a complicated, meandering conversation that is filled with lengthy digressions where ideas float back and forth. In other words, he uses a question to begin thinking about a topic, then shifts his attention to interrogating what he doesn't understand. He will express his thoughts in one way, and through his thoughts he can get to a question ("Do you see how your original argument is now invalid?", or, essentially, this meme, minus its absurdity) at the end. It's like he leads them into a logical trap, baiting them with posits and questions until--snap!--he pulls the logic down like a shutter.

Sometimes his questions directly challenge an assumption; other times, they're set up for his own ideas. If you think of the most famous part, "The Allegory of the Cave", you'll see that, when questions are used, they're closed-ended (requiring a yes/no answer), and often the question comes in the form of, "Wouldn't you agree that...?" His interlocutors always seem to see things his way, and if they make a counterpoint, he usually manages to allow that without sacrificing too much of his own point of view.

The broad point is, the Socratic method is not simply questions-based: It's an entire methodology created around someone knowing more than another and demonstrating that by letting the other fellow walk into his or her own mistakes.

Because I teach "Socratic Seminar" (a mixture of English and history that, in my case, runs from the 1300s to modern day), I have the opportunity to use dialogues with students to try to come to a better understanding of things. But I don't teach like Socrates: I don't ask yes or no questions and then let the inevitable avalanche of logic bury them. (Okay, I sometimes do, but I try to avoid that.) I try to use questions to dig deeper into whatever we're studying, yes, but I approach it (when possible) from the position of "humble seeker of knowledge", rather than as a sage trying to bait my students. The result is that often I stumble into the second bit of Socrates that I mentioned before: Lengthy digressions that are Socrates laying down the foundation of what he wishes to assert. The problem with this style of teaching is that it can easily turn into didactic lectures that, well, lecture. Questions engage; platitudes about Platotudes** don't.

Anyway, I'm struggling this year (read: Every year) to get myself more into a genuinely questioning mindset, exploring ideas and pushing back on students' points of view by choosing the correct question at the right time. It's too easy for me to fall into that didactic habit that leaves my throat dry and my sense of what I've done as valueless.

This, of course, has to be balanced with communicating information; I can't question a student when the fall of the Bastille was if they don't know anything about French history. But questions of revolution, how to address grievances with authority, and the power of propaganda are all broader issues that I can talk about with regard to the Bastille. What to do, then, to get them to the point they can answer the broader questions?

That's the purpose of the class, that's what I'm trying to balance and strike right, every period. In other words, I need to pay closer attention to what I say. 


----
* There are counterexamples that abound in his works. My point is that the idea of a strictly "Socratic" methodology embracing questions only is what doesn't stand up to the text.
** Credit to my main man Truman G. Madsen for that phrase.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow