Skip to main content

Parking Lot Confrontation

I took my kids to the Walmarts nearby in order to buy not one, not two, but three birthday presents for my second son's friends, all of whom are celebrating their birthdays over the next three or four days. This wasn't a big deal, save that we were 1) in Walmart and 2) I forgot my wallet in the car, necessitating hauling all of the kids from the toys section (which, in case you were wondering, yes, my four year old was sobbing as we left because I wouldn't buy him a Spider-Man glove) and back out to the pinnacle of suburban success, the minivan.

Not my actual car, but it gives a sense. Source
Wallet obtained, I trekked back into the store, reclaimed the birthday presents, bought the kids some over-sugared, under-nutritioned drinks, and headed out to the parking lot. As we walked, I teased my oldest about running into a sign, and pretended to be a bee, buzzing and stinging him. We marched along, everyone holding someone's hand, and arrived safely at the car.

The boys piled in, I distributed the drinks, and then I went to climb into the van. Before I could get inside, however, a woman's voice said, "Excuse me, sir?"

Confused but willing to help, I turned to face the lady. She seemed nice--a little round, blonde, with a nose stud and wearing a black tank top. She held a little girl by the hand. "Yes?" I asked.

"I don't know how else to say this, so I'm just going to come out and say it: Did you punch your son?"

I was taken aback. I didn't know what she was talking about. I tried to replay the uneventful journey from the sliding glass doors to now, but aside from the aforementioned teasing, I couldn't think of what she may have mistakenly seen.

We went back and forth, her obviously not buying my honest, confused denials that I abuse my children. I assured her that wasn't the case, my boys were safe, and thanked her for her concern. I smiled and bade her goodbye.

Naturally enough, the boys wanted to know what the conversation was about. I explained, and my oldest quipped, "It's a surprise you didn't hit us," or something along those lines. I quickly corrected him that she thought she had seen me hit him the way he hits his brothers. That quieted him down, but it worried me. What if she'd asked my son if I hit him? In our family, we wrestle and teasingly smack each other. It's never in an abusive way (though that always sounds like a thin excuse, I know). We're playful, and though I have spanked my children, it's not something I advocate or am proud about. But punching him? Like, assaulting my kids? That's ridiculous.

But my boys don't really know how vicious people can be. For the most part, we live a very safe, sheltered life. They don't realize that when an adult asks if their parents hit them, they mean abuse them, hurt them. So if someone asked my kids that question, they would answer honestly, but it would lack the context of what is meant.

The lady went away, unconvinced, and I've been thinking of it off and on throughout the rest of the day. It reminded me that I have to be very careful, not only about what I show other people, but what it means to be in a society where we need to be vigilant against real violence--and how powerless we are in the face of it. The lady could not have done anything if I really were abusive, at least not by confronting me in the parking lot. She knew that, but she stepped up and hoped to right a perceived (and, as it turned out, nonexistent) wrong. But I'm impressed by her willingness to confront someone she thought behaved that way. That took a lot of bravery. Would that more people were as brave as she.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both