Skip to main content

Punishing Sin

At the time of this writing, Hurricane Irma is venting its fury on Florida. The hurricane pummeled Key West, then swung up, smashing into Florida's Gulf coast. With Hurricane Harvey hardly in the rear view mirror, and Hurricane Jose on the way, it's pretty clear that there's some catastrophic weather happening at the time.

Florida--southeast Florida, to be exact--has a special place in my heart: I served my two-year long mission in Miami-Dade and Broward counties. While I never personally went farther south than the Kendall/Hammocks area, my mission boundaries included everyone in Key West up to West Palm Beach, with the Everglades on the east and the Bahamas out in the west. So though the hurricane is currently pummeling the western part of the peninsula, the areas where I served thirteen to fifteen years ago are in rough shape.

So, even though Hurricane Harvey's deluge of Houston was in my country, and my heart, thoughts, and prayers went out to them, seeing my other 'home' of southern Florida beneath such furious winds and water is a more personal tragedy. Since it's Sunday, I find myself wondering if some of the people I knew back in the early aughts are still attending, still active, still working. Did they cancel church meetings? Are they helping with the relief efforts? I'm hopeful they've moved apartments since I was there--some were pretty horrible--but are the sisters and elders safe? Are the people there going to be okay? Are all my Cubanos safe on Calle Ocho and in Hialeah? Is the beautiful chapel on Miami Beach a place of safety, or has it evacuated? Images of the hurricane blot out the entirety of my mission (save the islands), an eclipse of water and wind.

These types of events--the fires in L.A. and, closer to home, throughout the state of Utah--can take on an apocalyptic feel, which can lead people to read into it a divine wrath or retribution. In other words, this type of destruction is considered a "sign of the times", an indication of the end of the world.

I'm not going to jump into that reading of scripture. Instead, I want to look at the idea that what we're seeing is a punishment for the sins of America. I don't mean to caricaturize conservativism, but I often hear two themes from the political Right: One, God hates and punishes sinners, especially those who commit the "sin" of homosexuality; and two, climate change is a hoax that isn't corroborated by hard data.

These two assumptions conflate when you look at this tweet by Ann Coulter, a conservative mouthpiece. (While it should go without saying, it's obvious that Coulter's conservative point of view doesn't reflect everyone who espouses conservativism, but, based upon whom conservatives elect, it seems clear to me that most of the Right agree with Coulter's stance.)

This is a screenshot of her tweet, in case it's deleted later. 
There's plenty to tease out, especially the rhetorical approach that she's going for, but, again, the point of this isn't how she said it, it's the sentiment that's behind it. To put it baldly, climate change isn't real, but God punishing the wicked with severe weather is.

So let's take that at face value. While I disagree that climate change isn't credible (it's now reached an overwhelming consensus), let's go with the idea that God punishes people for the sins they've committed through sending hurricanes, fires, floods, and other natural disasters.

This leads to a question of the gravity of particular sins. Let's say that there are some people in southern Florida who are good people, undeserving of catastrophe--they don't "elect a lesbian mayor" or some other sin of...uh, toleration, I guess? They aren't beating their kids, smoking, drinking, or doing anything lascivious. They get the punishment anyway, right? Bad things happen to good people, that's established, no big deal (except it's a huge deal, but we're not getting distracted today). So we have our hypothetical people inside a country that's doing "bad things" and that's why the hurricane comes.

Okay, but what if we're misunderstanding what the "bad things" are. What sin could all of America be condemned of? It certainly isn't being gay--the latest thought is that 4% of the population is gay, which is about double the amount of people who claim to be LDS--because being heterosexual (and heteronormativity) is the vast majority of our preferences here in the U.S. The idea, then, that God is punishing America for the gays' sake is, statistically, at least, a distortion.

As a Mormon, I think drinking is a sin, and Americans love to drink, right? That has a broader impact: it's estimated that 84.6% of Americans drink. That's a bigger number than homosexuality, that's for certain. Maybe it's smoking that brings such tempests upon us? Well, that's below 20%, so that doesn't fit. Sports on Sunday? This last Superbowl pulled in about one out of three Americans, with over 111 million people watching. Are these enough of a sin that God is smiting us?

We're still sitting on our primary supposition that God punishes the wicked, after all. But that question of what sin we're all committing could, perhaps, be one relating to the very Earth we all inhabit. One way of reading Genesis 2:15 is that the requirement for tending and "keeping" the Garden is expanded outwards to all of Creation. If taking care of the creations of God is one of the things on which we're judged, then America, as a whole is flat out violating God's commandment. We make up only 5% of the world's population, yet our impact vastly outnumbers our demographics. Due to the cult of capitalism, we've pillaged the planet for profit, the result of which has now made it a political statement to say that human behaviors are affecting the climate.*

If God punishes the wicked for their sins, and polluting, deforesting, exploiting, and spoiling the Earth is a sin, then we are not being punished by God so much as by ourselves. We live in the natural consequence of denying our stewardship in the face of profits, and that consequence is everything that climate scientists have been saying for years. Increased global temperatures will melt ice caps, which adds water to the overall climate systems. Overheated oceans now pour their hot water into hurricanes that ravage our coastal cities, the extra heat acting as fuel to propel them to ever stronger gusts and sustained winds. Disruption of ecosystems lead to minor, localized, and sometimes even broader extinctions. There's no need for this little blog to catalog a list of the terrors that our collective sin of environmental negligence. The projected problems are rearing their heads and will continue to do so until we listen.


---
* If you need a primer on the difference between climate and weather, Neil has you covered.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

On Cars 3

Note: To discuss the themes of Cars 3 and look at how they affected me, I have to talk about the end of the movie. In that sense, I'm spoiling the film...or, at least, the film's plot . Don't read if you don't want to (which is always the way it works, obviously), but I feel like there's more to this movie than the story and whether or not it's "spoiled". And though I believe that, I wanted to make this paragraph a little longer to ensure that no one catches an eyeful of spoilers that they didn't intent.  Major spoilers. ( Source ) Pixar's third entry into its Cars  franchise is significantly better than Cars 2 , in large part because Mater isn't around very much at all so the story instantly improves. Okay, that's probably not fair. Cars 2  had some endearing zaniness, and the chance to expand the world of the franchise was a natural step: First film, bring the urban to the rural; second film, bring the rural to the urban. Both