Skip to main content

Live and Die with Grace

We are all dying. It's no profound comment to say that life is merely the process of death. And that's why, despite the depression that has made me consider suicide more often than is normal, I still find so much worth living for. Because of the Great Inevitable, it gives all the more purpose to what time we have here. Famed atheist and astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson once said that, given the chance to live forever, he wouldn't take it. "Death," he said (as I paraphrase), "is what gives me the motivation to learn, to grow. To get up in the morning."

But because we are all dying, it can sometimes be hard to know how we can live. One of my coworkers, well into his seventies, will be retiring soon and moving south, where the cold is less biting and the snowdrifts all but impossible. He invited me to his home today--the first time I've been there--to pick up some of his books. He's now at the point in his life where holding onto every tome he's purchased is no longer wise. He'd rather that they go to someone who would appreciate them and the wisdom and words inside the variegated covers than that they end up in a second-hand store or sold in an online auction by his children after he passes.

I don't always agree with my coworker's analyses. We don't see eye-to-eye politically, pedagogically, nor historically. And that's okay. He knows and has read and lived much more than I. I haven't even reached the age he was when I was born--I have a lot more dying to do before I get to his position. And who knows? Maybe I'll come 'round to his point of view when I become a septuagenarian, too. But the point isn't where we disagree--or even where we agree--that matters: It's the fact that we're both in this world, dying together, and we can learn from one another.

A thin plastic tube of oxygen connected him to life. He's not sickly, necessarily; he's old. His body needs the assistance the oxygen gives him. I couldn't help but think of my baby--now almost 10 years ago--when he, too, was connected to life by a tether of plastic, air pumping into his too-small nose. He had so much dying to do before he left, and so much living in between those breaths of canned air.

My son is dying. I am dying.

So why would I worry about a handful of books (beautiful "Folio" editions of the four great Shakespearean tragedies: King Lear, Othello, Macbeth, and, of course, Hamlet, as well as scholarship of Samuel Johnson and Harold Bloom) when we're all drifting toward the exit?

I'm reminded of the lyrics of a song I listened to in the '90s...and still now, twenty years later, if I'm being honest. It comes from the band Live, a song called "Dance With You". The song is moving, particularly one part of the chorus. "I see a world where people/Live and die with grace."

Despite being of a different generation--of viewing the world through younger eyes--I could see a man dying with grace. He was bequeathing something important to him to someone who would also see the importance of the bequest. I am dying just as certainly as he, but my timeline is (God willing) a little bit longer. Graciously, he passed a piece of himself on.

Would that I could always see the world where people so live...

...and die.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow