Skip to main content

The Confines of God

I recently finished my (whateverth) reading of the Book of Mormon. Having been born into the Church--and having served an LDS mission--I've spent a great deal of time in that book. It's not the book that I've read the most (that probably goes to Hamlet), but it's up there. I read it every year and a half, or so, give or take. I sometimes diverge into other levels of scripture, but I cycle around to it regularly.

Members of the Church--rightly, I think--insist that the eschatological stakes of the entire Church hinge upon the Book of Mormon, but I'm not exploring the ideas of the afterlife here. Instead, I want to share a story that a coworker shared with me.

Like many who teach at my school, she had had a conversation with teenagers that changed the way she thought about things. This is something that requires a certain amount of humility, not just as an adult, but as a teacher, too: The acknowledgment that there is a different way of viewing the world that you hadn't considered before.

In my friend's case, the (as she paraphrased it to me) main idea was, "Do you think that you can find God inside of four walls?"

This is intriguing to me, because as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I have devoted (using that word deliberately) countless hours to the institution. While the student's comment was, as I take it, toward the idea of being a worse worshiper by virtue of location (being at church on Sundays...or not), there is a lot more that's built into a believer's lifestyle than what happens during the hour (or three) at the beginning of each week.

But, for a Mormon, the idea of sacred spaces--dedicated areas of the world that are, indeed, a different place for worship--seems natural and unassailable. Of course you can find God inside of four walls: That's what churches and temples are all about. Indeed, in Mormon parlance, temples are reverentially referred to as "the House of the Lord", no metaphor intended.

While there could be implications of what that means on the most literal of levels, I actually wanted to cycle back to where I started this essay: The Book of Mormon and, more broadly, scripture in general. The student asked if God is within four walls, but I wonder if God can be found inside two covers.

On my mission, one of the things that we would do to help communicate our message was to use pictures from the Church in what we called "ghetto flips". These were flip charts of the most important pieces of doctrine that we wanted to share, cut, folded, and glued together into the logical chain of details that comprised what was then called the first discussion. To get these made, we would cannibalize ruined copies of the Book of Mormon--copies that had been dropped in a Miamian puddle, left too long in a too-hot trunk, or rumpled during shipping--and cut out the pictures. Sometimes, we even stripped off the front cover to provide a foundation for the flips.

When I first started doing this in front of a new missionary, he had a mild panic attack. I got the sense that he felt I was desecrating the Holy Word of God by repurposing the Book of Mormon this way. Since I can be acerbic and blunt when I get in the mood to be, I snorted at his worry and waved it away. I said to him something along the lines of, "It's just print on paper. It has to be in your heart for it to matter."

I think that's the case with all scripture. I know that some sects of Islam feel that desecrating the Quran is a blasphemy in and of itself, while others don't even think a translation out of Arabic is the Quran at all, it being revealed in Arabic and therefore only fully correct in its original tongue. I daresay there are some Mormons who feel similarly (at least, about the first idea--that desecration is a blasphemy), though I may be overstating many people's opinions.

It makes me wonder, though: Where is God in scripture? Is He in the words? In the ideas? In the lives that people live? Outside of the books? Having Him packaged tightly into a few hundred pages--a few thousand, if we combine all the sacred literature of the major denominations of the world--seems limiting. Can you find God inside of four walls? Can you find Him inside a thousand pages with the instrument of His death marked on the front?

I can imagine some primary platitudes being bandied about that might strike superficially at what I'm asking here, but I think there's something more profound to explore in these questions. The concept of God--as multifaceted and manifold as that can be--is found in these books. But the immense diversity of religions, religiosity, denominations, orthodoxy, and orthopraxy points to the idea that God can't be boxed in by brick and mortar, nor, perhaps, ink and paper.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow