Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part XIX): Anxiety of Shakespeare

I've mentioned Harold Bloom before. As the first serious literary critic I read of my own volition (having studied some of the postmodern theorists in college), I've found a lot of my early interpretations of Shakespeare heavily influenced by him.
There's an irony there: One of Bloom's primary theses is what he terms "the anxiety of influence", a consciousness on the part of an author of where inspiration comes from. In this case, my early critical voice was influenced by Bloom, but, being young, I didn't sense--or care--that I was so emulative. It didn't become a large 'anxiety' until I started to reread some of my earlier work. Now I see that there is definitely something to his point.
I won't deny that I'm still a little anxious about how much influence Shakespeare has had on me as a writer. As I mentioned while discussing Writ in Blood, I'm nervous about how the story comes across as an homage of the Bard. But the love of Shakespeare has pushed me past emulation and toward appropriation, an internalization of his cadences and concepts. I'm not particularly interested in retelling Shakespeare's stories, per se, but I am interested in incorporating aspects of Shakespeare into other parts of my writing.
The biggest issue with considering Shakespeare as my "spirit guide" to writing is the fact that every writer, in some way or another, has to react to (or against) Shakespeare. The great thing about the long shadows of the Western Tradition (Homer, Virgil, Ovid, Dante, Chaucer, Spenser, Shakespeare, Milton, Austen) is that I can trace back the stirrings, beginnings, and causes of the echoes that have reverberated through millennia. It's almost like a genealogy, a family tree of ancestor writers whose marks have birthed the literary world in which I'm writing. The downside to these shadows is that it can sometimes feel impossible to write around (or without) them.
There are some minds, some ideas that are so potent that they change the world. Love them or hate them, you can't escape their influence. Freud is one; Marx, another. The "Dead White Men" of Western letters are that way, too, and no one stands taller than William Shakespeare.
In a lot of ways, every writer has to, eventually, face the fact that she is writing in a post-Shakespearean world. I like to use the hashtag #shakespeareiseverywhere so that I can keep organized all of the places where the Bard crops up. His clichés (well, now they're clichés; when he wrote them, they were fresh and powerful) abound. I see them in almost every novel I read. I heard a couple of Shakespearean lines in The Lost World: Jurassic Park. There's a bust of Shakespeare in the video game Batman: Arkham Knight. Fantasy novels, containing worlds that never had the Bard, drop phrases that were originally coined by that Sweet Swan of Avon.
It should come, then, as no surprise that every writer--either by embracing Shakespeare or rejecting him entirely--has to, in some way, confront the influence of Shakespeare. Picking up a pen--putting words to page--is an implicit acknowledgment of following in the footsteps of the greatest writer to have lived.
So why deny it? He's part of my bloodstream, a secular sacramental wafer that I've willingly consumed so frequently that I start to get withdrawals if I'm away from him for too long.
This passion for Shakespeare has also dictated how I've absorbed history. I teach English (and Shakespeare) and World History, and despite the responsibility to cover major world events from 1300 to the present, I feel my greatest attachment to the parts of history that directly pertain to Shakespeare.
Hundred Years' War? Only matters at the end, when 1 Henry VI comes along. I care less for the historical Joan d'Arc and more for the Joan d'Pucelle of the play (which is hardly one of the great works that Shakespeare put together). French and Prussian history mildly interests me, but I'm definitely more intrigued by Renaissance Venice because of the merchant who, though a fiction, lived there. Any Elizabethan or Jacobean history lands squarely into my wheelhouse (expanded all the way up to the Restoration, since Milton was writing at that time) because that history pertains to what Shakespeare knew. My curiosity of the pre-Roman Britain is centered solely around King Leir (and the play that Shakespeare would write, King Lear), though it's expanding toward Cymbeline, too.
This is not a permanent setting, but it is my default. I'm slowly becoming a better historian with greater interest in the world outside of Shakespeare, but that process is entirely due to the Bard. Without wanting to know his context and world, I wouldn't likely extend myself to much outside of the sparse parameters of my history curriculum.
Because of that fascination with certain segments of English history, I have recently finished writing a book in which the Jack the Ripper murders (obviously not Shakespearean) provide a starting point for an Elizabethan-style fantasy world. The setting is strongly evocative of the real-world London that Shakespeare would have known, and there are anxieties I have about this book.
First of all, England as the de facto setting for fantasy literature is a trope that goes all the way back to Tolkien (though some people argue that The Tempest is the first actual fantasy story--a claim that I disregard). A medieval, quasi-British location describes thousands of fantasy books, including Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles, aspects of C.S. Lewis' the Narnia Chronicles, and even more contemporary, worthwhile work like Patrick Rothfuss' the Kingkiller Chronicles. (Lots of Chronicles. Maybe I should avoid that phrase when titling my book.) There's nothing wrong with setting a fantasy book in a British-esque locale. George R.R. Martin does so with his Song of Ice and Fire series. Indeed, that series is a more graphic (violently and sexually) retelling of the Wars of the Roses, and also is replete with plot twists, verbal constructions, and important, deep thinking as a Shakespearean play. (Shakespeare is still better.)
Another issue is that I'm aware of a lack of diversity, especially in science-fiction and fantasy writing. Aside from tired tropes like the Chosen One or the Quest, which have a strong basis in British literature in the first place, it's an indication of laziness about who lived where and what they did during the medieval and Renaissance past. The idea, for example, that there were no Jews in England comes about because of royal degrees, pogroms, and official laws. But the idea that no Jews lived in England is laughable. It's like the idea that there were no people of color in medieval Europe: the idea is demonstrably false. But overcoming people's expectations of a lack of diversity is difficult. Some people feel that incorporating diversity is caving into political correctness (it's not, but that's beside the point). Others feel that the fantastical that's based heavily on history has to take all aspects of history into its fantasy. Martin is obviously in this camp, since patriarchy and primogeniture provide the motivation for almost all of the political machinations. The issue for me becomes not "I don't want to do another English-based fantasy because I want diversity, and England doesn't have it", but instead "I don't want another English-based fantasy because it seems like we've worn that trick out."
All of this comes through because of my obsession with Shakespeare. And I'm not alone. Hundreds of books come out every year about Shakespeare--his life, times, plays, receptions, performances--and countless others interact with him still.

I'm proud to be a part of that tradition.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow