Skip to main content

Rosalind: Wooden O

The Utah Shakespeare Festival has an annual symposium, called the Wooden O, that is a place where scholars meet to discuss Shakespeare and to share papers that they've submitted. I've yet to go, but I'm trying to write a piece that (I hope) might be a contribution to the symposium. It's a large topic, and I'm still wrapping my head around what I want to do, but I thought I'd lay out some preliminary thoughts. Since I used up my writing time today on this, I figured I'd do double duty and post it here. So here's the first part of my proposed paper, "Hooking Up and Marrying Down: Relationships in Shakespeare."

Marrying Down: As You Like It 

Rosalind's charm is so pervasive and charming, Harold Bloom prefers to think of the play by an alternative title: As Rosalind Likes It (221). It's almost becomes a tragedy at the end of one of the highest comedies to think she marries a schlub like Orlando. In many ways, hers is the most confusing choice to progressive sensibilities. Why should she marry? She is, of course, her own man and her own woman, a double-meaning that, as English majors and historians and theater geeks all delight in observing, was even more rich when you consider that she was a he who dressed like a she to then dress like a he to woo a he into loving the she that looked like a he.

The "no female" rule of Elizabethan stage (noting that a masque would not have the same constraints as a theater on Bankside) makes for an interesting depiction of womanhood. In the Jacobean play The Maid's Tragedy, written by Francis Beaumont and John Fletcher, Evadne, a female, enters the stage, attended in order to prepare for bed. "Madame, shall we undress you for this fight?/The wars are naked that you must make tonight" says Dula (2.1.1-2). The possibility of a voyeuristic strip-tease for a Jacobean audience would have been tempered by the thought that they would actually be watching the disrobing, as the editors of the Oxford World Classic's book Four Jacobean Sex Tragedies observed, of the "unequivocally male leading lady" (viii). The awareness, therefore, of the puerile sense of impropriety at cross-dressing, undergirded by a sense of sexuality, coupled with the allure of sexuality have a much larger congress than we tend to get in modern stagings of these stories.
Rosalind's feminine/masculine approach for Shakespeare is likely one of commercial viability and reliance on familiar tropes that the Bard seemed willing to visit--and revisit--frequently. We can only surmise his truest motives. Based on nothing but my own sense of humor, I like to imagine that Shakespeare wrote these cross-dressing play just to keep his "female" actors (likely Alexander Cooke or Robert Goffe) free from gowns. It's juvenile, but I'd like to think he had a bawdy joke to throw at them--"Your only chance of getting into a skirt is when I write it for you, ye strumpets."

One of the benefits of having Rosalind cross dress throughout much of As You Like It is that Shakespeare feels likewise emboldened to address the inequities and biases of his society. Rosalind has the freedom to speak her mind and to woo the man she loves; Shakespeare has the same freedom. Tina Packer makes a similar observation: "Her disguise gives her the ability to find out about herself, what she really thinks and feels…without having anyone in power tell her how women should or should not behave" (184). But--and this is a crucial conclusion--society prevails. Yes, the "Truth will out" (MoV)--and so does our programming.

While Rosalind delights us on the stage--and while she is performing so masterfully on the "stage within the play" of being Ganymede--there is the limited freedom that this playing allows.

ROSALIND
…No, no, Orlando; men are April when they woo, December when they wed: maids are May when they are maids, but the sky changes when they are wives. I will be more jealous of thee than a Barbary cock-pigeon over his hen, more clamorous than a parrot against rain, more new-fangled than an ape, more giddy in my desires than a monkey: I will weep for nothing, like Diana in the fountain, and I will do that when you are disposed to be merry; I will laugh like a hyen, and that when thou art inclined to sleep.
ORLANDO
But will my Rosalind do so?
ROSALIND
By my life, she will do as I do.

Rosalind is drawing stereotypical expectations--along with sagacious commentary--within her speech. Comparing herself--though said in the garb of a man--to animals (and a goddess, tucked in with hardly a moment to digest her subtlety) is as sexist as could be. Despite her subtle appropriation and quasi-apotheosis, she is reporting as fact the assumptions of her society. She is playing at Ganymede while the actor beneath is playing at being a woman. It seems like the only place where a woman can be free is when she's on stage…pretending to be a man.

But all this pushes us again to the question: What does she see in Orlando? I think the realization that she is, as Gwen Stefani croons in her 1995 song, "Just a Girl". Because I'm so charmed by Rosalind, I want to give her the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps there's something in Orlando that we can't see. Maybe the man is a bit of a doofus, but there's potential in him. She is obviously willing to work for things, and she takes pleasure in setting what is broken aright. Maybe that's actually what Rosalind seeks: Not her equal, but one that helps her improve herself because she is focused on helping others. This is seen by the way she tries to set all hearts to their proper place at the end of the play, and she thrills to see her uncle, who so heartlessly cast her out at the beginning of the story, repent and become an honest man. Her delight in the Forest of Arden is shared through her goodness, and though we might wish that Orlando had more to him (say, Benedick's wit), trusting Rosalind to be smart enough to know what she wants is maybe the best way to honor her character.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow