Skip to main content

Memories of the Son of Memory (Part XX): Acting Classy

In 2014, I was accepted to a BYU-sponsored teacher training in Cedar City. There, I was to attend day-long workshops with Utah Shakespeare Festival. Before we went, we were tasked with reading the three plays that we would see performed that season (Measure for Measure, The Comedy of Errors, and Twelfth Night). I went with Gayle, letting her prowl around Cedar City (mostly at the fabric shops) while I attended the classes, then she came with me to the different plays.
It was a delightful summer.
The interesting thing for me was that I was in a very foreign situation. I was surrounded by drama teachers--almost no one there was, like I, an English teacher. And while a number of them liked Shakespeare in that squishy, "He's good so I have to like him" way, there were only a couple of actual Bardolators in the mix.
That's been an interesting aspect to my experience with the Bard, and it's not a unique one. Shakespeare is adored in the academy because of the complexity, continuity, questions, and power that he conveys through his words. Shakespeare is beloved in the acting community because he's a fantastic playwright, putting together stories, words, and iconic action that audiences enjoy and actors thrive in. To put it another way, both "camps"--academia and drama--claim Shakespeare as their own.
There's some validity to both camps, too. On the one hand, the preservation of Shakespeare--his continued presence in schools, in the zeitgeist, in the background of culture--comes in large part because of the robust analyses that Shakespearean scholarship encourages. When I go to Barnes and Noble, I always stop by the Shakespeare section. There are more copies of his plays than of analysis, but there are biographies, memoirs, and other "Shakespeare-related"  works aplenty. And while there are more copies of his plays (keeping in mind that he wrote or co-wrote 40 of them) than analyses, there is no one with the same space on the shelf. There isn't a diversity of, say, Arthur Miller scholarship versus plays. You can pick up a copy of A Raisin in the Sun, but you're not getting biographies of Lorraine Hansberry, lengthy commentaries on her works, nor conspiracies about whether or not Hansberry actually wrote the plays attributed to her. Even other poets fail to have that sort of reader response.
But, without the plays being in a continual state of production (Hamlet, for example, is being performed somewhere on planet Earth every day of the year), I wonder if the academic side would continue to be. The stage is what Shakespeare "wrote for", though I'm critical of the assumption that's imbedded in that argument for a couple of reasons. One, the authorial intent of Shakespeare in terms of experiencing his story seems presumptuous here; and two, it's pretty clear that some of what Shakespeare wrote relies so much on homophonetics that it's only by being able to see and read the puns that you can actually catch the joke. Additionally, there's so much depth to his writing that, even in the most capable of actors' hands, much meaning is lost in the translation from page to stage. Nevertheless, there's an undeniable power in seeing Shakespeare performed (well, of course; nothing kills a budding Bardolatry like a bad performance). And hearing the most famous phrases in the English language cited in context and as a natural consequence of the action on the stage is always rewarding. Indeed, I hear appreciative gasps when, for example, Romeo and Juliet are speaking at the so-called "balcony scene", and Juliet says, "Parting is such sweet sorrow!" For some in the audience, they are finally connecting what they've heard their entire lives with the linguistic gift that Shakespeare has given us.
Because I'm not trained in the theater, I approach the theatricality of Shakespeare hesitantly. It's a world that I don't fully understand (though, as a teacher, my job is very much a performative one), though I do understand Shakespeare. As in other aspects of my life, he provides me a guide. I would never go to the theater at all were it not for Shakespeare.
And I wouldn't have found myself in workshops with actors and festival directors and other teachers were it not for Shakespeare, either.
This training, by the way, happened a few months after I'd returned from my first trip to England, so there was a continuity of Shakespearean geekery that was part of the experience. It was a lot of fun to meet the actors and have some conversations about plays that aren't always staged (particularly Measure for Measure, which was not the best play, nor the best version of it). I also enjoyed expanding my own repertoire when it comes to Shakespearean thinking. I'm not an actor, but I enjoy good acting. Learning some of the "behind the scenes" processes for teaching and enacting Shakespeare was good for me.

Shakespeare is good for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching in Utah

The Utah State Board of Education, in tandem with the state legislature, have a new answer to the shortage of Utah teachers: a bachelor's degree and a test are sufficient qualifications for being a teacher. I have some thoughts about this recent decision, but it requires some context. Additionally, this is a very  long read, so I don't blame you if you don't finish it. Well....maybe a little. But not enough to hurt our friendship. Probably. ARLs and Endorsements Teaching is a tricky career, and not all teachers start out wanting to be in the classroom. Fortunately, there are alternatives for people to become licensed teachers who come from this camp. We have a handful of possibilities, but the two I want to focus on are ARLs (Alternative Routes to Licensure) and endorsements. Both already require the bachelor's degree as the minimum requirement, and since that doesn't change in the new law, we'll set that aside as a commonality. As additional context, h

Teen Titans GO!

While I was at my writing retreat this last June, I happened upon two cartoon series that I hadn't seen before. (This isn't that surprising, since I don't watch a lot of TV programming, preferring, as many millennials do, to stream the content I want on demand.) One was The Amazing World of Gumball  and the other was Teen Titans GO! It's hard to say which strikes me as the preferred one--they have differing styles, different approaches, and different animation philosophies. Nevertheless, their scattershot, random, fast-paced humor is completely on my wavelength. Recently, I picked up four DVDs worth of Teen Titans GO!  I am trying to be parsimonious with them, but it's hard not to binge watch everything. While I've seen some of the episodes before, watching them again is almost as enjoyable as the first one. I've found myself adopting some of their style of humor into my teaching, and I'm pretty sure some of my future cartooning will be influenced by t

Dark Necessities

The second of my "music video essays", I'm exploring the single from Red Hot Chili Peppers' newest album, The Getaway , "Dark Necessities". As I did before, I'm posting the video and the lyrics here on the essay, and encourage you to watch and read along. In the case of the Peppers, it's always a good idea to have the lyrics handy, as the lead singer, Anthony Kiedis, has a tendency of mumbling and/or pronouncing words uniquely to create a particular effect--or he's super high, either possibility is there.  The Set Up Here's the video: And here are the lyrics : Coming out to the light of day We got many moons than a deeper place So I keep an eye on the shadow's smile To see what it has to say You and I both know Everything must go away Ah, what do you say? Spinning off, head is on my heart It's like a bit of light and a touch of dark You got sneak attacked from the zodiac But I see your eyes spark Keep the breeze and go Blow